MetalRampage

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:44 AM

I need some help cleaning up my system. A while ago, my friend flashed my bios (with something that reads "unknown" in UnleashX). Since I had some problems with the system clock, like when I had it unplugged, I decided to install Krazyie's Ndure (I guess 1.0). Well, now I'm trying to change some settings, specifically to enable 480p, 720p, and 1080i, but nothing seems to work (the games don't output at any high def resolutions even though the options are checked in UnleashX). I'm fairly sure the problem has to do with the bios.

So, I need help determining which bios I should use, and if/how I should install a new dash or update the current one, as I have no idea how Ndure stores stuff. Preferably using XBMC as the dash.

I have a green Halo edition xbox, but after opening it up and inspecting the mobo, I am certain I have a 1.6(a) mobo. I think the hdd I put in the system is 150 gigs. I also have the hdd key, so I should be able to unlock/lock the drive if need be.

Oh, I have no intention of using xbox live and I don't care about preserving my savegames, so I'm willing to format if necessary.

One more thing, this was all set up years ago, I'd imagine about 2-3 years ago. I just want to do some more xbox gaming after my 360 died.

Thank you for any assistance.

-MR

#2 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

1. Is xbox tsop flashed or softmodded? Describe the flubber animation at boot up. Ndure tends to expect a retail ms bios in the tsop to work.
2. Ndure has a virtual eeprom feature to protect against changes of the eeprom hence changing of HD settings are not sticky.
3. Do you have component cables? The HD settings only make sense with the right cables.
4. You said you have a 1.6 xbox which makes tsop flashing impossible so I'm not sure what your friend did. Check against this http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions.php and verify again.
5. Does your xbox boot to msdash in the situation - power up with eject button?

#3 MetalRampage

MetalRampage

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

1. I'm fairly sure it has been flashed. Well, I don't know the details, but there is an EvolutionX bios for 1.6 consoles, M8. I don't know if that's what I'm using though. It's a regular flubber animation, I'm guessing the same as a retail system.
3. Yes, I have the right cables. In one strange instance, Forza ran at 480p, but it only happened once.
4. I verified that I have an xcalibur chip and samsung ram. The production year/week also coincides to the right model. year 04, week 15, line 6... yet it's a green halo edition. By all accounts, this seems like a very late halo edition xbox. I can't see how this would be anything but a 1.6.
5. On eject, the xbox boots to the xbox-live sign in screen. If gives me the option to press b to go back to the dash, but if I press b, nothing actually happens.

Well, ok, from what you're telling me, somehow, I miraculously flashed my xbox's bios to an unknown one, at least partially. For some reason, ndure accepts this bios. I suppose I need to flash my bios again. I can run Evolution X as an application and I think it'll allow me to flash my bios. But if what you said is true, and it's a virtual bios, then it may not be able to. Still, it's worth a shot, any idea which one I should use?

Thanks for your help so far

#4 MetalRampage

MetalRampage

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

First off, sorry about the double post, I can't find an edit button.

Now, well, I think my problems are kinda solved. I... think. Anyway, I looked in your sig, and I saw something about enabling hd through xbmc. Well, I followed those steps and I'm well satisfied. So, even if I'm running a partially corrupt bios, at least most of it is working fine. It may be that only the kernal was patched, so it really is just a softmod.

I do have to say though, it doesn't look like the xbox was built with hd in mind. at 1080i, the refresh rate really drops, system operations are much slower and generally, I doubt I'll actually use 1080. I guess it makes sense though, there aren't any 1080 games, are there? hehe.

Thanks again for the help, especially that link in your sig.

-MR

#5 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

For the record, a xbox ver 1.6 doesn't have any tsop to flash. The EvoX bios is for mod chip

Edited by ldotsfan, 13 October 2008 - 02:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users