• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:56 AM

TGS 08: Microsoft May Not Stick to Spring/Fall 360 Updates
Posted by XanTium | October 12 01:56 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From 1up.com:

"I don't know if we are going to tie ourselves to a spring/fall release schedule as much," said Schappert to a gathering of reporters. "I think one of the things that I worked with the team with when I joined -- let's do a big release. Spring and fall sounds like there is a lot of distance between the two but there is an awful lot of... it's pretty hard to make a new dashboard because you have to certify it against every revision of the hardware, and there's a bunch of different specs. It's a pretty time-consuming and challenging thing to do. Which is why we only did it twice a year."

But apparently, as Schappert went on to explain, even twice a year may still be too often. "I like staying focused on bigger and more impactful releases, so maybe it will be twice a year, maybe less frequently," he said. "You know, to be determined. I think it's going to be more about: What's the next big launch? What are we bringing? When can we bring it? How can we do it in a big way?"

Full Story: 1up.com

#2 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:53 AM

Well I'm all for the original xbox 360 dashboard with the Blades and such its gonna suck seeing it turn into a Wii clone as I already have a Wii as well sad.gif so ya just something about having a gaming system that was originally designed to have a cool simple dashboard/theme to it then have a mandatory update to turn it into a big jumble of new freaking features that will probably be loaded with unknown bugs and make it no fun because all I wanted to do is play my games I bought, not bowling from a concept that's probably already to old of an idea to be considered "origional" so ya I hope it gets delayed yell at me if you want for not liking the "new" xbox experience! comp.gif cussing.gif

Edited by red_ring_of_box, 12 October 2008 - 07:54 AM.

#3 HaredX

HaredX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

I'm excited for the new dash. Who cares if it looks like a wii, it's different and different is good when you've been looking at the same dashboard for 3 years. I definitely don't think they were talking about delaying the fall update. They were talking about not sticking to fall - spring in the future. They wouldn't just release a set date of when the update was going to be released and then decide to postpone it the next day.

#4 Tiuk

Tiuk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

The Fall update won't be postponed, they already skipped the Spring.

Maybe they'll abandon the spring/fall formula in the future, but for the present I'm sure we can expect a fall update.

#5 johnnyrico

johnnyrico

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

why don't they just release 2-monthly patches?
That makes more sense and will give people the impression MS is constantly improving their dash.

speaking of which, I wonder if they're ever gonna release a codec update for more formats and improve media support for the media center extender, what's the point of an extender if it can play a piss poor amount of formats and not even the most popular formats?

#6 sinister slipknot

sinister slipknot

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(johnnyrico @ Oct 12 2008, 11:35 AM) View Post

why don't they just release 2-monthly patches?
That makes more sense and will give people the impression MS is constantly improving their dash.

speaking of which, I wonder if they're ever gonna release a codec update for more formats and improve media support for the media center extender, what's the point of an extender if it can play a piss poor amount of formats and not even the most popular formats?

They have to pay to get licensing for those formats to work on your 360, its different than downloading them for a pc.

#7 Bannedfromlive

Bannedfromlive

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

They have to pay to get licensing for those formats to work on your 360, its different than downloading them for a pc.

I thought x264 mkv and aac were open source? who would they have to pay? it wouldnt take much for them to include 5.1 aac support then at least we could rip mkv's into mp4 containers and keep the 5.1 soundtrack albeit in a aac format...

#8 Elemino

Elemino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

I would expect you're going to see more updates like this. As we go along in video game consoles, I have the feeling the emphasis will turn from 'new hardware every few years' to 'new OS every few years' like PC's have done. This will probably extend the life cycle of gaming consoles which IMO is better for us as well as the industry. Except for the lack of a built in bluray player, what other reason does MS really have to release another console? The graphics thing is old and tired, and we know now that its not all about graphics anymore. I'm all for 360 Dash 2.0.

#9 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:16 PM

i swear the PS3 updates like twice a month. MS updates are fairly quick too. PS3 updates sometimes take awhile.

Edited by BoNg420, 12 October 2008 - 05:16 PM.

#10 somenutter

somenutter

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:26 PM

Wicked less chance of bans if they only update it once a year

#11 Steve-0

Steve-0

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:putting blue 3mm led's in things that doesn't already have them, cutting holes, oooh oooh and plexi.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

i would like a update to the messenger part like being able to have voice convos and use the vision cam with people on messenger also send and recive pics and stuff, im not too keen on the new "look" of the new dash but thats my opinion, like i always say, if its not broke dont fix it...............................cut holes in it and fill them with plexi and led's

#12 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

you are aware they are not droping the old dash. you can still switch back to it at least thats what they said.

#13 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE(luther349 @ Oct 12 2008, 09:24 PM) View Post

you are aware they are not droping the old dash. you can still switch back to it at least thats what they said.

If you have a disk in the drive and hit the guide button every time blink.gif

#14 eduardor2k

eduardor2k

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(luther349 @ Oct 12 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

it's a smaller version of the old dash, not the same.

#15 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(red_ring_of_box @ Oct 12 2008, 12:29 AM) View Post

Well I'm all for the original xbox 360 dashboard with the Blades and such its gonna suck seeing it turn into a Wii clone as I already have a Wii as well sad.gif

the only wii-like feature of the new dash are the avatars. the rest of the new dash looks nothing like the wii's interface (thank god).

QUOTE(eduardor2k @ Oct 12 2008, 02:53 PM) View Post

it's a smaller version of the old dash, not the same.

you get access to the full current dash inside of any game. how can that not be useful? sure it isn't full screen but it has all of the necessary blades that you'll need while inside the game. it's a lot more slick than the current guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users