5 replies to this topic

#1 pennitentiary

pennitentiary

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

Good afternoon,

I just picked up my first Xbox 360 console yesterday. I am completely new to the Xbox 360 modding scene. I've been a Nintendo fan all of my life. But yesterday I broke my marriage with Nintendo and purchased my first non Nintendo console.

I was told by a mutual associate to purchase an Xbox 360 that was lot #0823 or under in hopes that I'd get a console with a Benq drive inside. I was lucky enough to find a lot #0822 console for sale. So I bought the 20GB pro version at Best Buy, took it home, and snapped the faceplate off in order to look at the colors of the two wires on the bottom hole on the right side of the optical drive. & they were "Yellow"! So I guess this confirms that I have a Lite-On optical drive.

Someone told me that consoles with Lite-On drives are not moddable. But someone else told me they are if you swap the Lite-On drive with a Benq drive.

So I'd like to know if one of you out there can share the process of doing this with me. I'd just like straight forward facts on what I need to buy and do. Any information about modding this console would be great... Such as what Benq model drive do I need? Or any downsides to swapping drives such as updates ruining the mod, no xbox live play, etc? Please share anything you can with me about this specific console mod. Url links or any info would be great.

Thanks

Edited by pennitentiary, 19 October 2008 - 09:21 PM.

#2 oxide32

oxide32

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

hi m8, you can swap the liteon drive with pretty much any other drive, eg hitachi/lg or samsung or benq yes.
its just that the benq has more similarity than the hitachi/lg or samsung so may be harder for microsoft to detect on live thats why people say use a benq.
ive personally used an ms25 samsung in place of the yellow wire lite-on and its worked magic.
my pc at home was already pretty much xbox360 friendly with a pci-sata 6421 card and a kreon dvd reader etc etc so all i really needed was the connectivity kit v3 which i have and one wire soldering to the tx part of the lite on board and used the dvdkey32 to extract my key and the enquiry.bin file that is used to spoof the hacked firmware on the ms25.
i wont lie and say its easy because it takes a certain amount of nerve and some careful reading on the process but there are lots of guides about m8.

#3 pennitentiary

pennitentiary

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:28 PM

Thanks mate that was some good information. I do know some modders that can possibly do it for me. Right now I guess the first thing I need to do is get myself a benq drive. What model drive is it that I need? Which benq drive is the best? I want to go on xbox live and all of that good stuff. Please let me know if you or anyone else knows where I can buy that drive online.

Thank You

#4 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

You can start by looking at the thread about how to get the drive key and spoof data from the LiteOn drive. This data is needed to be able to replace the drive with one that can be hacked.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=659565

You will need to get a LVTTL-RS232 converter (max3232) and a 15 watt soldering iron and some soldering skills.

You can find replacement 360 drives HERE. It will be hard to find a BenQ one.

Edited by Ranger72, 19 October 2008 - 10:35 PM.

#5 pennitentiary

pennitentiary

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:06 AM

So what's the exact model number of the benq drive I should get? & if I can't find that what's second best to the benq [model and brand please]?

Thanks

#6 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:24 AM

There is only one 360 benq drive. It is VAD6038.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users