5 replies to this topic

#1 jorwex

jorwex

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

So I moved from a 1.0 to a 1.6 and intended to use the extra bank with flashbios and install from a disc. However it shuts off and on and off and then eject led flashes red and green with the little onboard LED going normally. At points 6 and 9 there's 3.3v and 5v like hackdabox's page shows.

What could be wrong?

#2 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

I assume you know that you need to do a LPC rebuild on a 1.6 xbox mobo. Not all LPC pads are connected so that the install of a modchip becomes more difficult.

The 1.6 mobo needs a different bios. The biosses for the older mobo's aren't compatible anymore.

So, if your modchip doesn't have a buildin flash menu, you will need to flash the new bios on another bank (on a 1.0 - 1.5 xbox) after which you can transfer the modchip to the 1.6, and let it start the bios from the other bank.

regards.

#3 jorwex

jorwex

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the reply! I am quite certain that when I flashed it for the xbox I took it out of, I kept Flashbios on the remaining bank. I had intended to boot to that one, and flip the switch, and flash with the appropriate 1.6 bios.

I can't seem to get the thing to NOT frag at this point. I was out of solder braid up till a day or so ago, so until now I had just been reflowing the solder at the points of the rebuild pcb. the contacts look good, but I think I'll try just using wires. those little pads/vias are tiny tho.

Tried every combo of desoldering d0, leaving it grounded, bridging BT with that pin (6 or 9, i can't remember, don't have a diagram in front of me), etc. and still couldn't get the thing to do anything else but frag, even with the eject button attempting to get to the MS dash.

if I take the thing all the way out it SHOULD be like normal, but I'm afraid something else is wrong cuz I desoldered d0 and still coulndt get it to boot like normal. Is that the expected behavior?

#4 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

If you have a lpc rebuild, I assume you can remove the modchip easily. Try the xbox without it ans see if it still boots (into an error screen without dvdrom and harddisk.) That proves that the problem is the modchip or the mobo itself. If it's the mobo, it is probably due to your solder work.

regards.

#5 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

but I'm afraid something else is wrong cuz I desoldered d0 and still coulndt get it to boot like normal.

If the box worked fine before then yes you have almost certainly done some damage during the fitting.
Work on trying to get the box back to standard and running correctly to start with.
You will need a good light and a magnifier to carefully check for breaks in the print runs and for solder shorts across connections.

#6 litspliff

litspliff

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:electronics, music, your sister.

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

where most people go wrong with a 1.6 LPC rebuild, is the tricky point on the inside corner.

first, do like chancer said, and get your shit booting retail. if you can't, then you f'd the mobo. you will need to fix it before proceeding.

once you get back to normal, find all the LPC rebuild points on the board, and put a dab of fresh solder on them (tinning). after that, tin the points on the LPC board. now, line up your rebuild board, and start with that tricky point on the inside corner. don't add any solder, just press down with the heat. if you need to re-align, just re-heat the pad and line it up. after that, proceed to the rest of the points on the LPC board without adding any more solder. i also recommend using a good flux to ensure a clean weld.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users