Exige_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:25 AM

Hey just thought I'd throw out the idea I'm working on for a school project. I'm just doing the 'exoskeleton' within the next 2 weeks which is when it is due. Then from there I'll start throwing all the shiznat in. Here are some old plans I dug up that I made in 9th grade, rather quickly. Nothing here is final, but the size is pretty final, since I'm putting in 2 boxes and 2 HDDs, fans, new cooling, and 2 DVD drives, which will be coming out of the top like wings (very cool!). Most everything inside will have a nice little plexi tray. All HDD's and router and PSU, etc. will be put into the bottom 2 legs of the X, while the 2 mobos and DVD drives will be placed in the top legs of the X. Buttons placed under the jewel in the center in top and bottom, not sure how I'll be working all of this part out with 2 boxes but we'll see. Very large project, but I'm counting on you guys to help me out a bit, never done [shiznat!] like this before.

So before I start I have a few questions::

I assume 1/4" acrylic for the exoskeleton? It's going to be black.
Plexi trays will be clear and 1/8".
What's the best way to bend things for trays? I can buy a heat gun if necessary.
All exterior faces to the X will be conjoined by brackets on the inside, with nice shiny chrome countersunk screws visible from the outside.

Here are some old images:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Jewel plans: thi sis a side view, thought it was a clever idea. Though now that I'm putting 2 xboxes in there we'll have to see how this'll work out, but I really wanna do this part. Maybe the 360 power button can go elsewhere. There's going to be a lot of button and other routing in this project. Might end up needing help with that as well. It's been about 4 years since I've done this stuff.
IPB Image

So let me know your thoughts and and other input you got floating around up there smile.gif. Greatly appreciated.

Edited by Exige_, 01 November 2008 - 12:27 AM.

#2 Exige_

Exige_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:23 PM

Any thoughts at all?

#3 Arakon

Arakon

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

yeah.

WHY?

#4 Exige_

Exige_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

Ha. It'd be fun, and it'd be pretty awesome.

WHY NOT?

You don't think so? Seems the Scene has changed haha.

But would 1/4" be the best for this, or is 3/16" good enough? I might plate it with metal somewhere down the road but I think some nice shiny black acrylic would be tight, and it'd be something different. Always thought the original prototype xbox was tight as hell, so I wanted to recreate it.

Here's the original Prototype XBox:

IPB Image

#5 nos33

nos33

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Interests:My interests are modding my 360. Computers and other electronics, Painting and Airbrushing as well.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

now that is something worthwhile. I am glad to see people thinking about case modding instead of lame rapid fire.

#6 Crazy Germans

Crazy Germans

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:40 AM

now that's creative!

#7 Exige_

Exige_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:49 AM

Anyone know a good thickness to use for plexiglass cases? 1/8" or 3/16" or 1/4" for this project?

Aso i was wondering if I could run both the 360 and XBox off of one PSU, but be able to turn them on separately. If that's a huge hassle, I don't really mind having 2 plugs in the back, it's big enough for that lol.

#8 Exige_

Exige_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

Black acrylic plexi or CARBON FIBER?!

#9 Exige_

Exige_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

Actually I might get adhesive carbon fiber sheet to cover it after I put it all together if the screws become unsightly. If not, I won't do that. Anyone know about that power supply issue?

#10 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

Holy hell. That's some insanely good case fabricating. I was just going to say you should hold off on it due to the difficulty involved with building a case like that, but if you can make it look that good, I say go for it. I take it you'll be using the original Xbox for XBMC, emulators, etc. since the 360 plays Xbox games.

#11 Exige_

Exige_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:12 AM

Yeah I have a 160 GB Samsung in my xbox with a SmartXX and XBMC. 360 is stock with 20GB. And yeah it is going to be very tedious, so I'm going to cut it leaving some space between the lines I draw and the actual cut, then file it so that it's perfectly straight. I was going to do this for my school project, but due to the time crunch it'll have to be after. I'll just do a regular XBox mod instead. So this has been put on pause, not enough time for delivery, cutting, and bracketing. Here's a pic of the cardboard version i threw together today though, to give some perspective on its size:

IPB Image

#12 repset

repset

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:04 AM

I like your rims... boyee that shit is on fire!

#13 BombTester

BombTester

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:LED Work and SMD Work
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:51 AM

Dam dat boi rollin on some 22' ahhh

#14 Mholt215

Mholt215

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE(BombTester @ Nov 5 2008, 02:27 AM) View Post

Dam dat boi rollin on some 22' ahhh

Lmao the past 2 posts have been about how sexy his bike rims are. This will probs take a long time to get done, but once it is done if you took your time it will be nice. Good luck with this

Mike

#15 Chimp5000

Chimp5000

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Hacking, Modding, Gaming, XBOXXBOXXBOX!!!
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

This is an amazing idea. I would love to see this happen. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to pull something like this off sad.gif

Just the cardboard prototype looks pretty damn cool!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users