Photo

I Screwed Up And Now My Xbox Dash Wont Boot...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wraithind

Wraithind

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:48 AM

Okay, heres my problem. I have a modded XBox with unleashX on it that me and a friend (Who now lives seven hours away) modded using the Splinter Cell Exploit. However, I tried to get into the MS Dash earlier today and realised it wouldnt let me and said that msbash.xbe couldnt be found so I looked through my files and saw xboxdash.xbe and thought it might have been misnamed. So, without thinking, I renamed it to msdash.xbe and now when I try to start it up it does that usual XBox intro animation but then comes to a black screen with green text saying 13 Service required Call Customer Support. Now, when I put a XBox game in there it boots up just fine so I know its not totally screwed over.
Now onto the worse news, while I do have the old HDD as well as a backup diskof the files and a memory card, I do now have Splinter Cell (though a friend of mine does I think) or an Action Replay not do I have access to one.

So I was wondering if anyone here can give me a hand on this cause I honestly have no idea what Im doing and I have no idea why I stupidly renamed that file in the first place, Im just not thinking straight today it seems... any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

Your softmod is no longer working!

You need to start with the stock C files from Slayers or CASH, use Kingroach NDURE 3.1 to build a new softmod file set on top of the stock C, and xboxhdm (or here) with hotswap to put the softmod files on the Xbox.

Alternatively you could use hotswap and Xplorer360 to copy the new softmod files on the Xbox hard drive.

This softmod also gives you shadow C protection, so you won't be able to accidentally rename important files!!! wink.gif

#3 Wraithind

Wraithind

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

Okay... I think I was able to understand most of that, however, I understand what hotswapping is but from what Ive heard that is really dangerous... I would prefer to not kill myself over fixing this thing if that would be possible... Is there any other way to do this without hotswapping?

Oh, and I just remembered that the splinter cell save file we used to unstall unleashX is still in my XBox so wouldnt it just be possible to get ahold of Splinter Cell, load the file, then using that FTP to my computer and just rename the file? Or am I missing something here that I would need to do this?

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

Yes, if the Splinter Cell save is still on there then that's far easier!

I'd still suggest that once you get it running again you install a newer softmod with shadow C, so you can't accidentally do the same thing again!!! Have a look at CASH.

Edited by Heimdall, 04 November 2008 - 05:04 PM.

#5 Wraithind

Wraithind

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:11 PM

Thanks man, Ill definately look into that new softmod once I have it fixed. I just really dont like the idea of having to hotswap the thing cause Ive been told that doing so can possibly kill you. Now to find a copy of Splinter Cell somewhere (Turns out my friend doesnt own it actually, but Im sure one of the game rental stores in town has one) Ill let you know how it goes.

#6 Wraithind

Wraithind

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:09 AM

Okay, so I picked up a copy of Splinter Cell but when I started up the game it didnt detect any saved games on there and I know it was still on there. So Im guessing that it somehow isnt able to detect those saves for some reason. Any ideas?

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:02 PM

I'm fairly certain that all copies of Splinter Cell are exploitable (see here). Consequently it's fairly certain that the gamesave isn't on there. Unfortunately, because you can no longer boot to an MS-Dash that means that you have to hotswap or build an eeprom reader, because you have no other way of getting a gamesave onto the hard disc.

Hotswapping isn't fundamentally dangerous provided that you can follow simple instructions (like "earth the Xbox chassis" and "don't touch the Xbox power supply!"). There is a slight chance that you might brick the hard drive because IDE isn't designed for hotswapping, but that's a chance you'll have to take!

#8 Wraithind

Wraithind

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:52 AM

Yeah, Ive basically already accepted that Im gonna have to do that. Im doing plenty of research before I do so though just to be safe. Although my electricity went out the other day and my XBox went without power for a few hours and when I turned it on my error 13 changer to error 16 which as I understand means it cant get to the system clock, meaning hot swapping is basically all I can do now because it cant even boot games -.- Well, I just gotta do some research about all of this and Im sure Ill be able to figure it out. Thanks for all of your help!

#9 galactica

galactica

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

If you have used a game exploit to perform the softmod then try booting the xb with the memory card (containing the softmod install files) plugged in, it will act as a boot disc taking you to the original softmod install screen. There you can re-install or even better gain ftp access and correct your mistakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users