• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 petsy

petsy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:06 AM

Alright, this is not what you think. I've searched the board. But I found mostly threads about the 360 (I have an Xbox "classic") or threads about changing the thermal compound. Changing the thermal compound is what I want to do. But I cannot get the damn plastic clamp off the heatsink!

I've enclosed a few pics. As you can see, I've lifted the black thingie and the whole thing is now basically loose. However, the orange plastic clamps won't come off. They're loose, but I can't get them off. How do I do this? It seems so easy yet I've tried for hours and I'm stuck. Totally stuck.

IPB Image
The heatsink...

IPB Image
Closeup...

IPB Image
Closeup from the other side... These things won't come off their hinges.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:17 AM

Just use a small screwdriver to move the the orange plastic retainer away from the black plastic base.

#3 petsy

petsy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

With the risk of sounding like a complete idiot: that is impossible. I've tried it with all kinds of tools and the damn thing just WON'T COME OFF. I can't lift it - since it's locked in place by the hinges. And I can't move it sideways since it's locked inbetween the blades of the sink. I can't figure it out. Can someone please describe to me just how you do it? I've been trying for 3-4 hours and I'm stuck.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

They aren't hinges! They are just retaining lugs - the orange plastic bar clips under two hooks on the plastic base. In your first and second pictures, you just put a small screwdriver between the orange plastic bar and the black plastic base (near the bottom of the picture), and move the end of the orange plastic bar towards the number 2 on your PCB, while gently pulling up on the black plastic locking lug in the middle of the orange plastic bar. It takes a reasonable amount of force to get the orange bar to clear the retaining hooks, but nothing excessive. You might find it easier if you push the orange bar from the other end (the top of your picture) at the same time.

#5 petsy

petsy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

Ah, finally it worked. Thanks very much for your help, Heimdall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users