getRAWed

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:58 AM

I sent in my Xenon with a dead disc drive (MFR date April 2006) and got a replacement with an MFR date of May 2006. I had to send that replacement back as it arrived damaged and this week I took delivery of a 2nd replacement with an MFR date of 10th October 2008. I had already figured the month/year of MFR during the repair process by looking at digits 8, 9 and 10 of the serial number but wondered if any other number in the serial could tell me something else? Like if it is still a Xenon or is an Opus etc...

I don't play copied games/backups so cracking my system open to check isn't an option.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Illrigger

Illrigger

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(getRAWed @ Nov 21 2008, 02:34 AM) View Post

I sent in my Xenon with a dead disc drive (MFR date April 2006) and got a replacement with an MFR date of May 2006. I had to send that replacement back as it arrived damaged and this week I took delivery of a 2nd replacement with an MFR date of 10th October 2008. I had already figured the month/year of MFR during the repair process by looking at digits 8, 9 and 10 of the serial number but wondered if any other number in the serial could tell me something else? Like if it is still a Xenon or is an Opus etc...

I don't play copied games/backups so cracking my system open to check isn't an option.

Thanks in advance.

It's most likely an Opus with that date, but the easiest way to tell is to pop in a high-use game and see if the thing sounds like a jet engine after half an hour of play. Fallout 3 is a good choice, if you have it - makes my Zephyr-based 360's fans kick in full blast within 15 minutes.

#3 getRAWed

getRAWed

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

I don't have Fallout 3 but Gears 2, Halo 3, FIFA 09, NHL 09, Burnout Paradise and GTA IV via disc or HDD leaves the CPU half completely cool with the GPU half lukewarm after some really lengthy sessions.

I'm not sure regarding the fan noise as I sit very close to my Xbox (I use my Samsung monitor to play on with the Xbox next to it - both on my desk with my keyboard etc)

Is there any other way the motherboard type can be identified, such as with the first set of numbers in a serial number? Some Americans have told me when they have received a console back from repair it clearly stated 'Xenon' on the side of the box but I'm from the UK and haven't seen anything like that.

Edited by getRAWed, 23 November 2008 - 07:04 PM.

#4 PaddyPat

PaddyPat

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

you can take a flashlight and shine it through the gray plastic grill on the right side of the console and look at the number of rings there are and whether or not they're standing up or sitting down.
Here's a quick guide that shows the differences, and you don't need to open it up to see it, you can see this with a flashlight.

http://www.360drives.com/formhelp

http://beta.ivancove...x_360_Revisions

Edited by PaddyPat, 23 November 2008 - 07:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users