13 replies to this topic

#1 mickeyt76

mickeyt76

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

Hi everyone,

I was playing around with my xBox a couple of days ago trying to get it to boot XBMC automatically - I think I rather stupidly renamed "evoxdash.xbe" and now (unsurprisingly) the dashboard won't boot. The machine is modded with an Xecuter 2 chip and contains a 160GB Seagate Barracuda drive. Anyway, when I turn the machine on I get the xBox logo as usual, then "Xecuter 2" appears below it and the screen goes blank; I can also heard the hard drive being thrashed. I know that if I can just connect to the xBox via FTP and rename the dashboard file then I'll be fine, but my PC no longer picks it up. I've tried burning Slayer's EvoX and AID 4.3 to DVD-Rs which I know the machine is happy with, but neither of them will boot up; do you think it would make a difference if I burnt to a CD-RW instead? Or does anyone know of another way of connecting to the machine somehow via FTP? I even went to the trouble of removing the hard drive and hooking it up to my PC, but none of the xBox explorer utilities could read it despite being able to find it ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't know what else to do now.

Cheers,

Mike.

#2 gislihaukur

gislihaukur

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

Hi

I did the same exact thing as you did sad.gif

but i have not yet removed the harddrive and tried too access it that way.

it did hope that this would help, but i dont have the mechassult CD

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Hope someone here can help us out smile.gif pop.gif

#3 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:32 PM

Did ftp work previously?

Can you ping the Xbox?

Are you cold booting with Slayers and AID?

How are you burning the DVDs?

Is the hard drive locked? If it is then you'll need to hotswap to unlock it so your PC can read it.

If you're using Xplorer360 make sure you use beta 6 - the other versions don't seem to work.

#4 mickeyt76

mickeyt76

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hi Heimdall,

>> Did ftp work previously?

Yes, FTP was working fine until I renamed evoxdash.xbe.

>> Can you ping the Xbox?

No, I can no longer ping it.

>> Are you cold booting with Slayers and AID?

I'm not sure what cold booting is, but if you mean powering on the machine with the dvd in the drive, then yes.

>> How are you burning the DVDs?

I downloaded ISOs of both Slayer and AID and opened them in Nero. It defaults to trying to burn to a CD, but I'm able to burn to a DVD instead; could this be a problem? I haven't got any CD-Rs or CD-RWs at the moment, but I wasn't sure if burning to a CD would make any difference?

>> Is the hard drive locked? If it is then you'll need to hotswap to unlock it so your PC can read it.

I'm not sure if the hard drive is locked; is there an easy way of telling? I used "FAT-X-Plorer" and some similar utilities and they found partition "0", but then the programs would bomb out for some reason.

>> If you're using Xplorer360 make sure you use beta 6 - the other versions don't seem to work.

Ok, I'll give that a try, cheers for the reply!

Mike.

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

Yes, cold booting is as you described!

Try burning with DVD Decrypter at 4x or slower. I'm sure Nero works, but (from memory) it has loads of options (= loads of things to get wrong!!), whereas DVD Decrypter is just straightforward. DVD-R is recommended because it seems to be the most widely readable on the Xbox, whereas CDs seem to be less readable on the Xbox.

#6 mickeyt76

mickeyt76

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

Hey Heimdall,

Thanks for the reply - I tried burning the Slayer EvoX iso with DVD Decrypter, but I'm still getting the same results; the xBox logo comes up and then I just get a blank screen. Is there anything else I can try?

Cheers,

Mike.

#7 gislihaukur

gislihaukur

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

Nice feed back here.

im going to try to get me some of the DVDs listed here and see if the media im using ( imation ) is not working.

see here http://www.xbox-linu...D_Burning_HOWTO

when i start my xbox i get the xbox logo and the sentence : xecuter2

i have also tried the frosty rescue disk : http://rs123.rapidsh...e_Disc_v1_0.rar

Edited by gislihaukur, 30 November 2008 - 10:32 PM.

#8 mickeyt76

mickeyt76

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:41 AM

Well I've tried the Frosty Rescue disc and have also tried burning to an Infiniti DVD-R (previously I was using a TDK DVD-R), but still no luck. I'm wondering if it actually is the media which is the problem? I'm pretty certain my machine was ok with TDKs, but I could be wrong - it's been a long time. Will the xBox automatically try to boot up whatever's in the DVD drive though? At the moment I get a bit of drive activity but then the screen goes blank and the xBox thrashes the hard disk endlessly. If anyone has any other ideas then please enlighten me! :-)

Cheers,

Mike.

#9 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:56 AM

Unless whoever flashed your Xbox modified the BIOS to make it work strangely then, yes, it should boot any game or boot disc in the DVD drive. Will the Xbox boot retail games?

Edited by Heimdall, 01 December 2008 - 01:13 AM.

#10 mickeyt76

mickeyt76

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

I don't have any games at all, so I can't even try that. Just going to try reading the hard drive with Xplorer360 beta 6...wish me luck. ;-)

#11 gislihaukur

gislihaukur

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

I just bought the old splinter cell disk and im going to try and boot that and also some other types of media too burn on.

the splinter cell disk is for softmodding a new xbox i just bought for 30 $ smile.gif

#12 mickeyt76

mickeyt76

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

Ok, finally got the problem sorted - I tried Xplorer360 beta 6 as Heimdall suggested and I was able to read the hard drive perfectly! Just renamed the original evo x dashboard file back to its original name, put the hard drive back in the xBox and it's now working fine. :-) Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,

Mike.

#13 gislihaukur

gislihaukur

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

sweeett !!

Mickey can you please tell me how you did this ?

was it basically like this ?

removed HDD

installed into PC

run Xplorer360 beta 6

fix fucked files ( rename )

install into xbox

start xbox ?

smile.gif

#14 gislihaukur

gislihaukur

X-S Enthusiast

• Members