• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 finalx233

finalx233

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:12 AM

I tried to fix my 360 that just got the RROD and this is what happened. My screwdriver slipped when I tried to remove the X-Clamp.

http://i33.tinypic.com/29wk64n.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/osqtj8.jpg

The solder point is so small of the side that is still connected on the motherboard that it's almost impossible to solder. It has like 2 contact points that are not even 1mm wide and the distance between them is not even 1mm either.

So is my 360 busted?

Edited by RDC, 03 December 2008 - 04:49 AM.

#2 Mholt215

Mholt215

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:03 AM

You most likely ripped the trace off of the board when you hit it... Im not sure what that component is and what it does, but if you PM RDC he will most likely be able to tell you whether or not your screwed... and if you are, I just happen to sell consoles tongue.gif

How did you slip your screwdriver all the way over there without scraping the board? I usually find a 1/8 flat head screwdriver and wedge it in between the pegs on the heatsink and the rounded part on the inside of the x clamp, and kinda do like a little twisty dance sort of thing until the x clamp comes out of the wedge in the peg coming out of the heatsink, and then pull up on the x clamp.

#3 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

The component is a cap , since the thing is still mounted to the mainboard kind of the easiest will be to apply some solder on the second spot where you ripped off the pad and solder it back on while pressing it down on the mainboard.
Make sure that the solder is in contact with whats left of the pads, there will always be a little tiny bit.

It might also be okay with it missing but ask RDC before he will know for sure..

Would also be nice if you could tell whats wrong with your 360 do you get any error codes?, does it turn on? and so on...

#4 Mholt215

Mholt215

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Dec 3 2008, 01:09 PM) View Post

The component is a cap , since the thing is still mounted to the mainboard kind of the easiest will be to apply some solder on the second spot where you ripped off the pad and solder it back on while pressing it down on the mainboard.
Make sure that the solder is in contact with whats left of the pads, there will always be a little tiny bit.

It might also be okay with it missing but ask RDC before he will know for sure..

Would also be nice if you could tell whats wrong with your 360 do you get any error codes?, does it turn on? and so on...

I dont think he went through with the rest of the repair and tryed turning it on. I think he freaked out when he knocked it off, stopped working, took pics, and posted here smile.gif

That may work, it just depends on how much of the pad has been lifted.. Ive done that before and it has worked, hope it does for him.

Its funny theres another guy in this same forum who busted a piece of the board off when trying to take off the x clamps.

#5 finalx233

finalx233

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:17 AM

Yea.. I didn't bother with the rest of the repair, I couldn't even find the M5 screws at Canadian Tires -o-'' But can someone tell me if it can work without it? It would save me 200$ on an arcade version.

#6 Mholt215

Mholt215

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(finalx233 @ Dec 4 2008, 01:53 AM) View Post

Yea.. I didn't bother with the rest of the repair, I couldn't even find the M5 screws at Canadian Tires -o-'' But can someone tell me if it can work without it? It would save me 200$ on an arcade version.

Do you have a lowes near you? Go there.

#7 Crunchbite

Crunchbite

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(Mholt215 @ Dec 4 2008, 04:34 AM) View Post

Do you have a lowes near you? Go there.

Lowes is in the United states only, and by the sounds of things this guy is in Canada. You might have better luck buying them online, I personally got my rrod fix kit for $10 on ebay smile.gif

#8 Mholt215

Mholt215

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(Crunchbite @ Dec 4 2008, 09:45 AM) View Post

Lowes is in the United states only, and by the sounds of things this guy is in Canada. You might have better luck buying them online, I personally got my rrod fix kit for $10 on ebay smile.gif

Ya well I got my hardware kit (8 screws, and 16 nylon washers, and 16 metal washers) for 2.61$! And then a small tube of artic silver 5 so it came out to like 9$ with shipping for both smile.gif

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:26 AM

It'll be alright with that Capacitor missing, just go ahead and remove the thing completely.

#10 snowboard345

snowboard345

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:47 AM

I really don't think that SMD cap that u tore off is to big of a deal, because i remember one of the first times i did SMD LED replacement on the ROL, and i ripped off the green coating stuff so it was just the plastic lookin stuff. I just soldered the poo out of it until it stuck. and it works. Gud Luk

#11 finalx233

finalx233

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:17 AM

I'm so relieved to hear that it will be ok without it jester.gif I will post back when I get my RROD fix kit biggrin.gif probably later next week.

Thanks for the help

#12 finalx233

finalx233

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

Just an update. I ripped the thing off, proceeded with the X-Clamp fix and my 360 is now green!!!!! Yay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users