• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frenchface

frenchface

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

Hey is there anyway to have the xbox do a network book?

#2 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

Ancestor of dhcp protocol (don't remember its name) is the standard thing for network boot I guess.

Nothing standard is publicly available yet (based on a complete tcp/ip stack) for openxdk, but you can create something similar with this :
http://home.tele2.fr.../xb1_pktdrv.zip

The given sample describes how to do a ping with minimal code with openxdk.
That's enough (that and good reading of dhcp standard rfc????.txt) for trying to recreate dhcp protocol.
After all, all you need is have servers know you exist and ask for a file transfert from a server.
Easiest thing then is to write the file down on hdd and try to chain it (assuming it's a .xbe able to run).
The program doing the request would be running from dashboard in a sort of autorun mode (I guess some dashboard could allow that kind of option, to run a .xbe right at booting time)
I don't have much experience in chaining a .xbe from a previous .xbe, but some may have here in this forum.

Since dashboards have native hidden ftp server onboard, thay may even do dhcp for you, and maybe some have an option to automatically download a .xbe from another ftp server and boot it... Who knows...
Try browsing documentation of existing alternative dashboards for xbox1

Edited by openxdkman, 04 December 2008 - 12:10 PM.

#3 frenchface

frenchface

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

so is there nothing already premade? what about using etherboot, making a dvd img and booting from that?

#4 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

I remember an application from xman954 that makes it possible to launch the contents of an iso file. I think most dashboards have the same possibilities.

So, if you could create something that get's that iso from another pc over the network, you would have what you are looking after (I think)

The problem is that you need to find the low level functions in the Kernel that are responsible for reading sectors from disk, and you will need to pass those requests to the server on the network. The server can answer with the requested sectors of data.

I don't know if there are documented kernels available, so it might be a nearly impossible to accomplish job.

I am not even sure the whole thing will be fast enough to play games over the network that way.

Just a thought. Feel free to comment.

regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users