RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

Here are scans of the Wireless Networking Adapter Board.

IPB Image

TOP w/RF Shield Cover Removed
IPB Image

BOTTOM
IPB Image

I have a couple of these I'm working on now that have issues. Though I hate to say it, when these things die it seems they're pretty much gone as I've yet to find anything really easy that's going bad on them, it seems to be the main controller IC that's going bad, though I still haven't looked that much into them yet. There is a fuse in there, marked with 'J' and it's a 1-1/4A (1.25A) SMT, but even on an adapter that's completely dead it could still be good and not the cause of it. Makes it a real shame these things cost what they do and when they go belly up don't even have something repairable inside, shame on you M$.

One interesting thing is there is no SIC (Security IC) in these things like on every other 360 peripheral, so that's either being handled by the main controller IC there or there's some other reason that other wireless USB adapters don't work, again shame on M$ for being so greedy with this thing when it's really no different than a Wireless USB adapter ya can get at a lot of places that costs half or less and does the exact same thing, but since every peripheral is made by or has to have their approval they get to really bend ya over if ya want to get rid of the CAT5 to game online.

Thanks to XM202RonFez for sending the Adapters to be used.

#2 kevo96

kevo96

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:18 AM

I know it's been awhile but have u found a way to bring these things back ta life unsure.gif

#3 Mholt215

Mholt215

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE(kevo96 @ May 24 2009, 11:10 PM) View Post

I know it's been awhile but have u found a way to bring these things back ta life unsure.gif

Did you read what he said ? He said when they go dead, theyre dead. Meaning theres nothing you could do to fix one of these overpriced POS adaptors =\

#4 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

Actually, bringing this topic up makes me wonder why the IC hasnt been read to determine what is making only that adaptor work with the 360

#5 kevo96

kevo96

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:48 AM

reason I ask is because I know the board was shorted and one way or another stopped working. I was wondering if you could replace the fuse you were talking about somehow

#6 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

If the Fuse is shot ya can replace it or just jumper it with a wire, but the odds of it being that simple most of the time are pretty rare.

#7 kevo96

kevo96

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

I jumped the fuse an now the led shines red, green , then red again when plugged in. This is your problem as well?

#8 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

I haven't messed with that thing in over 5 months, so I couldn't tell ya what it's deal was. I do know it wasn't worth my time to try and track down, but if ya feel like diving into the deep end of the pool then jump on in. wink.gif

#9 kevo96

kevo96

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:29 AM

Hey it worked biggrin.gif bridging the fuse connections was all i had to do! thanks for the idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users