Photo

My Xbox 360 External Dvd Drive Enclosure!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 finalman

finalman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:56 AM

I created the enclosure out of an old 360 case so that i could externalize the DVD drive so that i can better cool the GPU Heat sink.

What Do you people think?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by finalman, 06 December 2008 - 03:11 AM.

#2 staxxinmygeans

staxxinmygeans

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:21 AM

looks nice! Like a HDDVD drive with more rounded corners! Now paint your 360 to match!

good job!

#3 dondi

dondi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:02 AM

need little more sanding on some spot biggrin.gif but its a GOOD JOB, nice and neat

any mods which will cause spending more time playing games rather than endless mod is what modding are (...no offense...) tongue.gif

#4 Exige_

Exige_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

It's looks good smile.gif. Yeah sanding and clearcoat is what you'd do if you were to do any more work.

Get crackin' on that xbox.

#5 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

Great work. Very smooth and professional looking. You should be proud smile.gif

#6 snowboard345

snowboard345

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

wow dude that looks freekin awesome. how r u connection the cables tho?

#7 finalman

finalman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE(snowboard345 @ Dec 6 2008, 09:46 PM) View Post

wow dude that looks freekin awesome. how r u connection the cables tho?

The SATA and Power cables will each be about a meter long and will be detachable at both the 360 and the drive. On the 360 i'll probably have the connections just infront of where the hdd is situated probably coming out from the plastic grill. Now At the 360 i'll use an internal to external sata bracket and mount the the drive power connector here also.

Will do more pictures when I do this...

#8 Vilpo

Vilpo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:14 AM

Nice one. smile.gif
I was actually thinking of doing something similar.. Are you thinking of putting in a bigger heatsink for GPU?

#9 finalman

finalman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE(Vilpo @ Dec 7 2008, 01:50 AM) View Post

Nice one. smile.gif
I was actually thinking of doing something similar.. Are you thinking of putting in a bigger heatsink for GPU?

That or either an internalized liquid cooling system or a fan on the heat sink with a circular hole cut out of the case above it with a fan grill.

#10 wenyong

wenyong

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

This is sweet! Currently im working on something similar, making the drive external. But how do you make it to be able to eject by itself? You know what i mean?

#11 modderguy791

modderguy791

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

What Do you people think?

You people? I TAKE THAT VERY OFFENSIVELY! lol jayplay XD

i like how it looks lol, kinda actualy reminds me of what i was going to do with my drive, i had an old I/O Magic Case from a USB drive i had, painted black, just the right size, and had a built in fan for cooling XD. just never got around to it lol.

Maybe now i might not be so lazy tongue.gif

#12 finalman

finalman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE(wenyong @ Dec 10 2008, 04:44 PM) View Post

This is sweet! Currently im working on something similar, making the drive external. But how do you make it to be able to eject by itself? You know what i mean?

The eject button inside the enclosure depresses a pc reset button located behind it and when pressed it completes a circuit. The eject button on the 360 works exactly the same way.

As i said before only the external drive enclosure is complete. What i have to do now is extend the drives power cable wires and buy an esata cable then mount external power and sata connectors on the 360 somewhere.

As for getting the eject switch to work i just run the two wires from the enclosures eject buttons contacts along side the drive power cables and run the two wires from the eject buttons contacts located on the 360 motherboard. Then make a connector on the 360 for the internal to external eject wires.

#13 repset

repset

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

Is it permanently sealed or can you open it back up? If it's not sealed well great job and if it is sealed great job anyway tongue.gif looks good. I have an old case but had cut a window through it. Would like to try something like this one day though.

#14 finalman

finalman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE(repset @ Dec 14 2008, 11:38 AM) View Post

Is it permanently sealed or can you open it back up? If it's not sealed well great job and if it is sealed great job anyway tongue.gif looks good. I have an old case but had cut a window through it. Would like to try something like this one day though.

Its not sealed in. Its a tight fit but the drive slides in and out of the back of the enclosure.

#15 wenyong

wenyong

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(finalman @ Dec 13 2008, 12:13 PM) View Post

The eject button inside the enclosure depresses a pc reset button located behind it and when pressed it completes a circuit. The eject button on the 360 works exactly the same way.

As i said before only the external drive enclosure is complete. What i have to do now is extend the drives power cable wires and buy an esata cable then mount external power and sata connectors on the 360 somewhere.

As for getting the eject switch to work i just run the two wires from the enclosures eject buttons contacts along side the drive power cables and run the two wires from the eject buttons contacts located on the 360 motherboard. Then make a connector on the 360 for the internal to external eject wires.

It's still kinda difficult for me to understand haha, but somehow i think i know roughly how to do it. Do you some pictures to like maybe show how you do it? Im like lost man, with my xbox parts all apart sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users