Photo

Anyone Else Remember This, Blu-ray Vs Hd-dvd..

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ExitRooster

ExitRooster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:58 AM

I had to do some searching.. Back before the HD-DVD died, in fact, I believe possibly before it even came out (based on the comments made in the post) this was said:

Moore: Blu-ray Xbox 360 Add-on Possible
>> From gamespot.com:

Despite the obvious preference for HD-DVD, it seems Microsoft isn't willing to completely tie its fate to the format just yet. During CES 2006, Microsoft's Xbox corporate VP of worldwide marketing and publishing Peter Moore told Japanese site ITmedia that a Blu-ray Xbox 360 peripheral could appear for the system if the need arises. Moore admitted that Microsoft isn't sure of the next-generation format war's outcome, with the worst-case scenario being a repeat of the Beta vs. VHS war of the '80s.

However, he suggested that whatever the outcome of the HD-DVD/Blu-ray war, the Xbox 360 can adopt the dominant format since its uses an external drive. He also suggested that it's a weak point for PlayStation 3, saying Sony's system is stuck with Blu-ray. Microsoft hasn't announced how the HD-DVD peripheral will connect to the Xbox 360, but it's most likely going to use one of the system's USB ports. While the PS3 may come with Blu-ray out of the box, there's no apparent reason an external HD-DVD drive couldn't be hooked up through that system's USB ports.

Why do I mention that? Because I'm really curious as to WHY they recently said no blu-ray product would be released, and why no one else is pointing out how they were so willing to say "we can go either way" and calling them out on it.

I mean, if the format they chose failed (which it did, lol), and their main competition DOES offer said new technology in their systems, wouldn't that count as "the need arising"?? Plus.. And this one is important - If I wanna buy a Blu-Ray player for my family for Christmas, well, I COULD have bought the X360's accessory. Instead now, there's absolutely no reason for me NOT to go out and buy a PS3. Heck, in many cases their cheaper than a full-up blu-ray. Regardless, that is neither here nor there.. The fact remains I could've been buying a 360 device, instead I'll have to resort to buying the competition. It will likely lead to me buying games for it, too, rofl..

I'm just really surprised.. Anyone else?

Original news post (from x-s) located here: http://www.xbox-scen...ykluNFpfUGq.php

Edited by ExitRooster, 09 December 2008 - 11:01 AM.

#2 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

I am sure when the next gen Xbox comes out it will have a built in Blu-ray player. It is too late in the current consoles life cycle to bother with it now.

#3 ExitRooster

ExitRooster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

With that thinking, what better way to deduce which brand/model blu-ray drive to use than to use the 360 as a guinea pig? Better to test some now, than down the road to realize one being better or worse..

Thompson drive, anyone?? We don't want another fiasco like that occuring. Besides, I disagree.. It is by no means too late..

#4 STICKY_BUD

STICKY_BUD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

any bluray option for m$ is a money loser for m$ because they are not pushing a format(or a movie studio).

m$ has much more interest in downloading/streaming so that is where i expect we will see them put all their eggs; this gen and probably next gen as well.

QUOTE(ExitRooster @ Dec 9 2008, 02:34 AM) View Post

Instead now, there's absolutely no reason for me NOT to go out and buy a PS3. Heck, in many cases their cheaper than a full-up blu-ray. Regardless, that is neither here nor there.. The fact remains I could've been buying a 360 device, instead I'll have to resort to buying the competition. It will likely lead to me buying games for it, too, rofl..

lol, i dont think m$ is scared of that possiblity right now... you can buy every good ps3 game, all 5 of them. trust me, you are better off renting those games(except LBP). even still, i own LBP and as fun as it is, i do not feel compelled to play like i have with many other titles in the last couple of years.

#5 ExitRooster

ExitRooster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(STICKY_BUD @ Dec 9 2008, 11:11 AM) View Post
you can buy every good ps3 game, all 5 of them. trust me, you are better off renting those games(except LBP). even still, i own LBP and as fun as it is, i do not feel compelled to play like i have with many other titles in the last couple of years.

Is it really that bad? That seems to be a popular opinion (not just here, but as I was surfing last night about what games are good for it, just in case).. I do remember playing some cool looking 4x4 offroad type game, reminded me of 4x4 evo (Dreamcast, Xbox, PC), cept it looked, well.. real. Was pretty impressive, but maybe that was one of the few '5', heh...

I guess what it comes down to is I'm just disappointed. Ever since that comment was made officially, I always thought, okay, cool.. Either way I go I'll be covered. So I waited it out, not buying HD-DVD or Blu-Ray unti lone died, then I waited after that for the MS product release, or mention of release here (you know x-s is always on top of the game when it comes to stuff coming out, woot!), and when I stumbled upon some news line awhile back saying either blu-ray for 360 isn't coming out, or not likely, I kept thinking, I know they announced something contrary to that before, was just too lazy to find it. Then after this weekend of thinking of takin the plunge, I thought.. Well.. I want to make certain that those in the know know for sure that there will be no drive addon for the 360 for sure, keeping in my mind what I had read before, and knowing how easy it would be to simply use the exact same hd-dvd case, only with a blu-ray drive in it (well and modifying drivers I'm sure..).

#6 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

You can get stand alone Blu-ray players for under $200. Walmart had one for $128 during black Friday.

#7 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE(ExitRooster @ Dec 9 2008, 07:15 PM) View Post

Is it really that bad? That seems to be a popular opinion (not just here, but as I was surfing last night about what games are good for it, just in case).. I do remember playing some cool looking 4x4 offroad type game, reminded me of 4x4 evo (Dreamcast, Xbox, PC), cept it looked, well.. real. Was pretty impressive, but maybe that was one of the few '5', heh...

No it's not. The opinion on here will always be biased. There are plenty of good games I own 21 games for it now and have /still am enjoying the majority. MS couldn't build the 360 correctly so the chances of them adding a BR drive and enhancing the crap reliability of the thing is slim. I buy multi plats for the PS3 because I know the machine will more than likely still work. If my 360 takes a shit , i ain't one of the loyal followers that will throw good money into another and another and another.

#8 STICKY_BUD

STICKY_BUD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE(ExitRooster @ Dec 9 2008, 11:15 AM) View Post

actually, depending on which genres you like, it may be less than 5. i own 8 ps3 games and i only like playing 3 of them; i have tried at least 6 or 7 more from gamefly.

i admit that i will not buy multi-platform games for the ps3 because i do prefer xbox live to psn. chancer seems to enjoy psn, but maybe its just that the USA is too big for sony to bother having a propper network here. plus, i already have the xbl headset and i want the achievements too.

as you said, you did the reasearch yourself... it is not only the opinion of fanboys and that is why 360 has won another holiday.

#9 sjlee

sjlee

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sports, PCs, video games (N64, PS1, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360)
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:50 AM

You shouldn't be that surprised. For starters, that quote was from Peter Moore... who no longer works for Microsoft. In addition, you statement about buying a PS3 being cheaper than a full BR player is incorrect. There are many BR players on the market that are under $300... including some Sony models. In particular, there's the Panasonic BD35, which is on sale at Amazon for $229 right now. If you just want a BR player, there's no need to spend the extra money on a PS3 unless you want another gaming platform.

Microsoft is going to push downloadable movies for now. When the BR market expands, they'll likely incorporate one into their next gen system (or offer an external one for the 360).

BTW, HD-DVD didn't "fail" as much as it was put under by Sony buying the studios.

#10 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

it is not only the opinion of fanboys and that is why 360 has won another holiday.

It has not won anything yet. It will win out in sales this holiday, no doubt, but that has more to do with price than games at present. If the PS3 had a price cut now, the sales would also increase in a huge leap.
This Xmas run up PS3 has Resistance 2, Motorstorm 2, Little Big Planet, Valkyria Chronicles, Naruto (Ultimat Ninja Storm)(not actually a bad little game). Decent games
360 GOW2, Left 4 Dead, are the ones that spring easily to mind. LIPs is just Singstar.
Multi plats are now widespread on the PS3 and even games like Bioshock has extra content on the PS3 version.
the above is just a snapshot and not everyone likes the same games but the old argument of No good games on the PS3 doesn't stand up like it did last year.
A peek at next years will show some even better stuff on it's way.

If you want just BR playback, then make sure the machine you buy is the latest profile and not a sell off of a previous profile. Also remember the PS3 is upgradeable.

#11 sjlee

sjlee

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sports, PCs, video games (N64, PS1, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360)
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Dec 10 2008, 05:17 AM) View Post

It has not won anything yet. It will win out in sales this holiday, no doubt, but that has more to do with price than games at present. If the PS3 had a price cut now, the sales would also increase in a huge leap.
This Xmas run up PS3 has Resistance 2, Motorstorm 2, Little Big Planet, Valkyria Chronicles, Naruto (Ultimat Ninja Storm)(not actually a bad little game). Decent games
360 GOW2, Left 4 Dead, are the ones that spring easily to mind. LIPs is just Singstar.
Multi plats are now widespread on the PS3 and even games like Bioshock has extra content on the PS3 version.
the above is just a snapshot and not everyone likes the same games but the old argument of No good games on the PS3 doesn't stand up like it did last year.
A peek at next years will show some even better stuff on it's way.

If you want just BR playback, then make sure the machine you buy is the latest profile and not a sell off of a previous profile. Also remember the PS3 is upgradeable.

I'm not so sure how big a deal the price difference is. Remember, with a PS3, you get a Blu-Ray player in addition to a gaming console, so I would think most people could justify the price difference. In addition, the Wii still is more expensive than the Arcade 360 and isn't even capable of HD gaming, but yet is still easily outselling the other two consoles combined. If the price of the PS3 drops let's say $50-100, I'm sure sales will definitely increase, as the PS3 will become a "bargain" because of the included BR capability.

As far as game exclusives to each console that were released in the last two months (I did not include any games that have been announced to be on both consoles, even though they may only be on one console right now)...

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Crash Bandicoot: Mind over Mutant
Dance Dance Revolution Universe 3
Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon
Fable 2
Gears of War 2
Guilty Gear 2: Overture
Left 4 Dead
Lips
Namco Museum: Virtual Arcade
Naruto: The Broken Bond
Scene It? Box Office Smash
Smash Court Tennis 3
Various Live Arcade games
You're in the Movies

PS3
GTI Club +
LittleBigPlanet
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
NBA 09: The Inside
Resistance 2
Singstar ABBA
Singstar Vol. 3
SOCOM: Confrontation
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars
Valkyria Chronicles
Various PSN games

I agree that as time goes on, the number of exclusive titles will become less and less (e.g. Eternal Sonata on the PS3 was released in October... it was released on the 360 a year earlier), however, each console will always have their exclusives (PS3 - SOCOM, Resistance, etc.; 360 - Gears of War, Halo, etc.).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users