• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Radman63

Radman63

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:34 AM

I successfully sofmodded my xbox with SID and the Splinter Cell exploit, using UnleashX as the dashboard. UnleashX has since been upgraded to the latest version. Then I went ahead and successfully put in a new, huge hard-drive. I loaded up a large amount of games and everything went fairly well for a few months. Then, while my daughter was playing a game, the system seemed to crash. I forgot the error message I saw on the screen, but when I turned the box off and then back on, it booted up to the original dashboard. I tried a few times with the same result.

Next, I went ahead and used Frosty's Rescue Disk, which helped me the one previous time I had a problem with the dashboard somehow getting corrupted. The disk helped me FTP and reload the dashboard that time, but this time, the XBOX won't read the DVD. It is as if the xbox is no longer softmodded, or something in the softmod itself got corrupt and is acting like an unmodded xbox.

I can't FTP into the system to try to fix the problem. Should I do the whole softmod thing again? If I do, do I lose all the games and applications that now reside on the F and G partitions (huge 500GB drive)? Do I lose anything on the C or E partitions, like user data if I softmod again? Is there something else I can do besides softmod again, or is softmodding again no big deal? What do you think? Thanks!

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:10 AM

Re-installing the softmod will affect the C and E partitions, but won't affect any user data on E (like game saves), or the F and G partitions.

However, if you didn't originally format your G partition with XBPartitioner 1.1 then you will eventually get data corruption. I can't imagine how that would cause the softmod to fail, but you never know - that might have contributed to the failure. You might be able to salvage some of the files on G manually. Your F partition should be fine.

You don't say which version of SID you used, but if you're remodding the box using a gamesave you might want to upgrade to Krayzie 1.1.1.

#3 Radman63

Radman63

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:22 AM

Heimdall, thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure I used SID 4.1, but I don't remember for sure. Why would I want to use Krayzie instead of what I used originally, or the newer SID 5.0? It seems like about the same thing. Pros and cons?

When I put in a new, bigger hard drive, I used xboxhdm v1.9 to configure it, transfer the contents of my C and E drives, partition F and G, and whatever else it does. Isn't this an acceptable method/program to use for upgrading hard drives that should not cause data corruption?

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

Krayzie is generally considered to be better, certainly round here! Do some searching, you'll find lots of threads on the subject. More importantly, there seem to be more people here who can support Krayzie softmods if you have any trouble. However, if you are happy with SID then stick with it. smile.gif

xboxhdm is perfect for building new discs so long as the partitions are under 256Gb. Over that you need to build with xboxhdm, then format the large partitions with XBPartitioner 1.1, because for >256GB you need 32k clusters, and xboxhdm only supports 16k clusters.

#5 Radman63

Radman63

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Heimdall - Thanks again for your help.

This is starting to maybe make sense. My G partition was definitely larger than 256 GB, and I did not use XBPartitioner. Maybe that is why (didn't mention this before) at a certain point, QWIX stopped being able to transfer files to the G partition. QWIX worked fine for the first 100 GB or so, and then just refused to transfer to the G partition, but still transferred to the F partition. On top of that, if the game my daughter was playing was on the G partition - maybe this is all due to the block size.

OK. So I guess I should reinstall the softmod using Krazie or SID. Should I try to do an uninstall of the first softmod first, in case there are still files on the C drive, or is that not necessary? I guess after that, I have to "blow away" the G partition and re-format it with XBPartitioner. Does that sound right? And from what I read, XBPartitioner is an XBOX application, so I have to find the application, download it to my F partition, and then run it to reformat the G partition. Does this sound correct to you? Thanks.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

Yep, Qwix refusing to transfer files to the G partition is one of the symptoms.

If you can start from scratch with a clean C that would be far better (but with the usual cautionary note about making sure you have a copy of you eeprom first in case anything goes wrong!) There are lots of ways you could do it, I'd do it in three stages:
- Copy the Krayzie 1.1.1 gamesave to the Xbox and run the exploit to give basic access, but don't install the softmod
- backup the eeprom, then FTP to the Xbox , copy the eeprom backup to your PC, and replace the C partition with a complete set of clean dash files from Slayers or CASH.
- Reboot the Xbox, run the exploit again, and install the softmod.

Whatever you decide to do, once the box is softmodded again it's exactly as you said - just copy XBPartitioner1.1 to your Xbox, use it to reformat G, and start again.

#7 Radman63

Radman63

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:41 PM

Heimdall - Thanks again for your help.

OK. I've been downloading the necessary software I need to (hopefully) fix this. I have Krayzie 1.1, upgraded with the 1.1.1 kit. I have XBPartitioner 1.1, Slayer 2.7, and I'm trying to get CASH 1.1, but it's taking forever to get from the torrents.

I did the Krayzie thing in order to be able to FTP. I then backed up ALL of C and E to my PC. I figured this should give me everything I need, including game saves that I want to keep. I'm sure the backed-up EEPROM is there somewhere, but I also have it saved separately from when I upgraded the hard drive. Does the EEPROM file change after soft-modding, or is my original EEPROM backup from my original hard drive still the same, and that's the only one I need?

I got both Slayer 2.7 and am getting CASH because I don't know exactly what files I need to use on the Slayer disk. Slayers 2.7 disk is a whole softmodding application and utilities disk in itself, so I'm not sure how to use this disk (if I have the correct one) to return my C drive to stock.

When I open up the Slayer disk, I see several sub-folders under the "SYSTEM" folder. I see "ALL", "LARGE", and "RETAIL". I'm not sure what all of these are. If I were to assume anything (Benny Hill rolling over in his grave if I do assume), I would want to say that I would just wipe out whatever is on my C drive currently, and transfer over what I see in the "RETAIL" folder, but there are only two files in there - evox.ini and evoxdash.xbe. Don't I need other files/folders in there? Do I keep the ones currently there, or just transfer over these two files and not worry about anything else? To make a long story short, I don't know what to do to return my C drive to stock before soft-modding again, as you suggested. At this point, I was thinking that if I get that CASH program, it might have some option to more-or-less automatically restore my C drive to its original configuration.

So, I guess I have 2 main questions today.

1. If I have a backup of my EEPROM from the original hard drive, do I have to back it up again?
2. How exactly, using either Slayer 2.7 or CASH 1.1 - do I restore my C drive to original configuration before soft-modding with Krayze 1.1.1?

As always, thanks for your replies!

#8 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:25 AM

1) Your original EEPROM will be enough, so you don't have to back it up again.
2) In Slayers 2.7, the stock files are located under /SYSTEM/ALL/c/. In CASH 1.1, they're located under /StockFiles/c/. You're basically going to start up your exploit to get FTP access, delete the entire contents of the C drive, copy over the stock C files from either Slayers or CASH (you don't need both), turn off your Xbox, turn it back on, and then start up the exploit again, but this time actually install Krayzie's Ndure.

#9 Radman63

Radman63

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:19 AM

Thanks again!

Here's what I did. After backing up entire C and E drive, I deleted all the files on the C drive. I then copied over the files you recommended from Slayer's disk. I then did the basic install from Krayzie 1.1.1. using UnleashX as the dashboard. Everything looks pretty good at this point.

I did notice that the default basic installation does the shadow C thing, which I don't think I did before. Not exactly sure if I need or care about that - especially if it is for XBL, which I don't use. I updated the dashboard to whatever the last version was, and changed the skin to an animated one by a Russian guy that I really like (I mean I like the skin, not the guy).

I still need to re-format the G partition, but I think that is a step for another day. I really hate the idea of loading 113 games back on there, but I understand I may have problems again if I don't! In the meantime, my daughter is happily playing game again. Thanks!

#10 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:25 AM

The point of the shadow C is to protect your softmodded C files. This way, you won't accidentally delete the softmod files or have an Xbox Live dashboard update overwrite the files. I suspect that the original reason your softmod became undone was because your daughter inadvertently triggered a dashboard update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users