• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:15 PM

MS: Those with NXE can't get away with no avatars
Posted by XanTium | December 11 17:15 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From oxm.co.uk:

Aaron Greenberg says those that have downloaded NXE won't get away without an avatar for much longer.

Apparently, those who have made it onto NXE but not created an avatar have done so via a 'loophole' which Microsoft will be closing up soon.

Full Story: oxm.co.uk

#2 RRoD420

RRoD420

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

What's the loophole? How would one use the new dash without creating an avatar?

#3 xboxjason

xboxjason

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

I installed my NXE off of a USB stick. I never made an avatar.

#4 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:47 AM

Why don't they just setup a "default" one and apply that if you don't have your own...

#5 PerfectGun

PerfectGun

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:10 AM

So now that the NXE is out and installed and all the talk about "If you don't like avatars you don't have to see them" was just lip service?

You would think MS would get the hint that these people don't want it. Why force them?

MS is getting a bid up their own azz lately and it's starting to irk the hell out of me. 09 is going to be interesting but it seems like the hardcore gamers(see the people who support 360 the strongest) are expendable and will just fall in line as they turn their system into a Wii wannabe.

#6 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

Yes the avatars are kind of homo.

I made mine look really messed up looking.

#7 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:34 AM

i don't see why this is such a big deal to some people. you can use the default avatar, and not use it as your gamer pic.

#8 BasicAir

BasicAir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Everything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE(PerfectGun @ Dec 12 2008, 02:46 AM) View Post

So now that the NXE is out and installed and all the talk about "If you don't like avatars you don't have to see them" was just lip service?

You would think MS would get the hint that these people don't want it. Why force them?

MS is getting a bid up their own azz lately and it's starting to irk the hell out of me. 09 is going to be interesting but it seems like the hardcore gamers(see the people who support 360 the strongest) are expendable and will just fall in line as they turn their system into a Wii wannabe.

First of all, MS's statement about "If you don't like avatars, you don't have to see them" is still true. They've always said that if you don't want anything to do with the avatars to just select a random one then never go to the new Friends list. Just use the friends list in the old-style blades dash via the new Xbox Guide where you have the traditional "Friends List" and nothing more.

Second of all, because some people got through a loophole allowing them to have no avatar is most likely due to accident. The fact none of us (as of yet) know what that loophole is just goes to show that most of those who did it probably accidentally discovered it and didn't hear about it online and use it to not make an avatar. The loophole is likely something simple like you turn your 360 off when you first booted the new dash and it's on the avatar screen. Or maybe at that point instead of your 360 turning off you opened the tray and put a new game in. It's something most likely just as simple or innocent as those possibilities.

The whole reason MS allows custom-made avatars is for those who don't want to design/make one for themselves. Again, MS has said select a random one that's pre-made then never mess with modifying it and/or use the old Friends List in the guide.

You say you think the hardcore gamers are perceived as expendable by MS. Hardly. GoW2, CoD:WaW, Fallout 3, Fable 2, etc. all released in the last 2 months are generally NOT considered as casual games and generally always considered as games for the hardcore gamer fans. The only company shunning hardcore gamers is CLEARLY Nintendo. The Wii is basically 99% casual and 1% hardcore. Look at their new offerings this holiday: Wii Music.

The other company you can go to, Sony, is also trying to attract more casual fans just like MS is. PlayStation Home is coming soon, and Little Big Planet is currently their flagship title this holiday. Sony is also expanding the downloadable games much like MS's strategy.

If you were to poll all gamers, MS and the 360 would be considered more for hardcore gamers than any competition. Although MS continues to make great strides in the casual market, they've never shown any reason to believe they are leaving their hardcore fans out to dry. Quite the contrary, actually.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying MS is perfect. I am just trying to point out that you should really think these things out more before starting to hate based on this stupid news bit. You are basically acting like MS is not only forcing everyone to have an avatar, but that they're forcing them to use it in every new game or something ridiculous like that.

You can hate on the casual gamer trends all you want, but they're hear to stay right now and that's not going to change in the near future. That's the way the market is headed and there's actually some great new articles out there talking about how the casual trends quite possibly saved the industry. The articles make really, really good points. It's actually a good thing for hardcore gamers like you.

#9 Dark Seraph

Dark Seraph

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:22 AM

IPB Image
Ive always sorta liked the avatars.

#10 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE(RRoD420 @ Dec 11 2008, 07:13 PM) View Post

What's the loophole? How would one use the new dash without creating an avatar?

If you press the guide button when the create avatar thing pops up you can exit out and not have to make a avatar. I did it for like a week till I accidentally hit A to create one and it picked whichever one comes up with your account. I was not happy.

#11 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:51 AM

I used to like avatars till one killed my dad.

#12 Mike4

Mike4

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE(MickRaider @ Dec 11 2008, 10:23 PM) View Post

If you press the guide button when the create avatar thing pops up you can exit out and not have to make a avatar. I did it for like a week till I accidentally hit A to create one and it picked whichever one comes up with your account. I was not happy.

So you have to do that every time? That's dedication. laugh.gif

Personally, I was not happy with the implementation of avatars, but I was willing to live with it. The story that pissed me off was when I heard that MS would be selling clothing and accessories for them. Now that some time has passed and I've gone through the trouble of setting my avatar up, I'm not as against it as much. I'd still prefer not to have one, but I understand why they did it and now I actually wish they had more options to choose from, clothing-wise. The selection is (probably intentionally) pretty weak. Even so, I still would never pay for such a thing. That's absurd. Also, I wish they gave you the option to make an avatar that looked like I was bigger and older than 12 years old. blink.gif

#13 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:54 AM

i agree Mike4. They should have an option to make them look a little older. Another thing, they should have an option to make your avatar stand up straight. They all stand with their hips sticking out and it looks really gay.

#14 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE(Mike4 @ Dec 12 2008, 01:10 AM) View Post

So you have to do that every time? That's dedication. laugh.gif

It only came up when you signed in through the guide. Generally that only happened when I have to test my xbox connection so it's not like it was a big deal, quicker to press the guide button then selecting an avatar.

QUOTE(tomgreen99200 @ Dec 12 2008, 02:30 AM) View Post

hey all stand with their hips sticking out and it looks really gay.
I think you might be on to something here.

Edited by MickRaider, 12 December 2008 - 09:00 AM.

#15 SwivZero

SwivZero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

I'd like to see them try to make me create an avatar on my banned xbox smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users