X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Women, gaming & Roots Rock Reggae
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:51 AM

Avatars should have stayed on the Wii, Avatars are for the younger gamers & the 360 is aimed at the more mature gamer...

I have an avatar but I hate the stupid childish gimmick.....

#17 devilstrider

devilstrider

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Could have swore they said you could use the old dashboard if you wanted to. Looks like they lied.

#18 CoLD FiRE

CoLD FiRE

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE(tomgreen99200 @ Dec 12 2008, 10:30 AM) View Post

i agree Mike4. They should have an option to make them look a little older. Another thing, they should have an option to make your avatar stand up straight. They all stand with their hips sticking out and it looks really gay.

Or maybe they should have given us the option to make them straight or gay..etc in the first place biggrin.gif

#19 CsL

CsL

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(ca102455 @ Dec 12 2008, 12:27 PM) View Post

Avatars should have stayed on the Wii, Avatars are for the younger gamers & the 360 is aimed at the more mature gamer...

I have an avatar but I hate the stupid childish gimmick.....

The complete NXE dashboard is childish :/ and has no advantages. Everything is slower than before, and it's very unclear (all categories look very similar). They said they improved browsing the large list of arcade games. But I can't see any improvement. There is still no "sort by date". The avatars are the lesser evil.

The old dashboard was unique, the nxe one looks like every second flash website...

Edited by CsL, 12 December 2008 - 04:44 PM.

#20 guido

guido

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(SwivZero @ Dec 12 2008, 10:48 AM) View Post

I'd like to see them try to make me create an avatar on my banned xbox smile.gif

I actually wish I could create one on my banned xbox.. i guess there is no way to do it.

#21 CsL

CsL

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

Maybe future games will include the nxe dashboard and prompt to install it, when you want to play the game.

#22 rooter75

rooter75

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE(CsL @ Dec 12 2008, 09:14 AM) View Post

The complete NXE dashboard is childish :/ and has no advantages. Everything is slower than before, and it's very unclear (all categories look very similar). They said they improved browsing the large list of arcade games. But I can't see any improvement. There is still no "sort by date". The avatars are the lesser evil.

The old dashboard was unique, the nxe one looks like every second flash website...

Hmm this is not my experience with the NXE. I feel it is much quicker than the old dash. And the in game functionality of the guide button is perfect for me it lets me do everything i would always curse MS for not letting me do with the old guide button. The fact that I am in game 90% of the time I'm on my 360 makes the new guide button a dream come true. It made me happy as a puppy with two peters. I can understand the negativity towards the avatars but come on they're people too...real little people but lets not be avatar prejudiced.

#23 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(guido @ Dec 12 2008, 05:30 PM) View Post

I actually wish I could create one on my banned xbox.. i guess there is no way to do it.

A version of the full update, including avatars, hit the internet a couple days ago. I havent tried it but it should work.

#24 CrakkedOut

CrakkedOut

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Dec 11 2008, 09:11 PM) View Post

First of all, MS's statement about "If you don't like avatars, you don't have to see them" is still true. They've always said that if you don't want anything to do with the avatars to just select a random one then never go to the new Friends list. Just use the friends list in the old-style blades dash via the new Xbox Guide where you have the traditional "Friends List" and nothing more.

How is that statement true when right there on the Dashboard is your Avy standing there? So, there statement is not true. If we don't want to see our Avy on the dashboard give us an option to hide it in the System Settings, is it that hard to do? Apparently it is.

Again, MS has said select a random one that's pre-made then never mess with modifying it and/or use the old Friends List in the guide.

You don't get it. A lot of us, including myself, don't want to SEE the Avy on the dashboard. Give us an option to hide it within the System Settings.

That's the way the market is headed and there's actually some great new articles out there talking about how the casual trends quite possibly saved the industry. The articles make really, really good points. It's actually a good thing for hardcore gamers like you.

I beg to differ. Too many games that come out and provide barely any challenge due to getting Casual gamers to play the game.

Eh anyway pz

#25 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(CsL @ Dec 12 2008, 11:14 AM) View Post

The complete NXE dashboard is childish :/ and has no advantages. Everything is slower than before,

do you browse the marketplace frequently? that is MUCH quicker than it was before. with the old dash, i would be able to scroll through the first 10 titles or so, and then have to wait 2 or 3 seconds for titles 11-20 to load, and so on every 10. now, that problem happens in multiples of 50 or so.

i do agree that alphabetical/date sorting would be awesome

Edited by Reaper527, 12 December 2008 - 11:16 PM.

#26 AcidPenguiN

AcidPenguiN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:48 PM

I don't mind some of the changes, but they moved shit around for no reason other than to make me waste like 30 minutes of my time trying to find the damn things.

also, when I used to press the guide button then immediately hit A I'd go to sign in, now it goes to the fucking dashboard, and it's annoying as hell. Why the hell did they have to move that option 3 lines down? It's just like some of the supid non-sensical changes made from XP to Vista.

#27 g8crapachino

g8crapachino

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(PerfectGun @ Dec 12 2008, 01:46 AM) View Post

So now that the NXE is out and installed and all the talk about "If you don't like avatars you don't have to see them" was just lip service?

You would think MS would get the hint that these people don't want it. Why force them?

MS is getting a bid up their own azz lately and it's starting to irk the hell out of me. 09 is going to be interesting but it seems like the hardcore gamers(see the people who support 360 the strongest) are expendable and will just fall in line as they turn their system into a Wii wannabe.

"hardcore gamers are expendable"...how? Can you explain that? Everyone can still play Halo3, GoW, or whatever other games you classify as being "hardcore". Exactly how does the presence of an Avatar in the dashboard prevent "hardcore gamers" from playing the same games they always have? Does it hurt your sensibilities of being "cool"?

To me a "hardcore" gamer doesn't limit himself to a specific genre or type of game. A "hardcore" gamer plays and enjoys alot of different video games and not on just one brand console. He certainly doesn't sit around trying to argue how the use of an avatar makes him less "hardcore" about gaming then he was before, because if that's all it took then he wasn't very hardcore in the first place.

Edited by g8crapachino, 13 December 2008 - 12:01 AM.

#28 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:45 AM

i cannot see the reason why anyone would get so worked up about having to use a default avatar. it's not that big of a deal, seriously. and you can still use any gamerpic you wish.

personally, i wish that if you are truly against avatars that MS would allow you to use some amorphous blob labeled "not an avatar" or something for those that wish to stand in defiance of the avatar movement.

i admittedly enjoy seeing my friends create either realistic or false projections of themselves through their avatars and how they change them over time. but then again, i am an older gamer feeding the child inside through my 360...

#29 Home Less

Home Less

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:57 AM

avatars are the worst thing about nxe. a little of me dies inside every time i turn on my 360 and look at my stupid looking guy

#30 yaazz

yaazz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:34 AM

If it hasn't been mentioned already they "exploit" is really simple.
Just open the guide and press Y to go to the dashboard smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users