PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:28 AM

November NPD: PS3 378k, 360 836k, Wii 2.04m
Posted by XanTium | 11-12-2008 20:28 EST

From gamasutra.com:

Hardware revenue was up 10 percent year over year to $1.21 billion, and 14 percent over 2007's year-to-date total.

Wii - 2.04 million
DS - 1.57 million
Xbox 360 - 836, 000
PSP - 421,000
PS3 - 378,000
PS2 - 206, 000

Full Story: gamasutra.com

#2 Zod5000

Zod5000

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:14 AM

Wow that price cut and plethora of games release in the falls really is boosting sales. The ps3 managed to just squeak by the 360 for a few months, but once they cut prices, wow thats quite the difference.

I wonder how many sold are arcades?

I don't see how the ps3 can compete without a price cut?

#3 Verity

Verity

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:50 PM

According to a recent CNNMoney article, PS3 sales (North America) for November are actually down 19%, while Xbox360 and Wii are both showing growth.

I guess this is what happens when you don't price cut in a bad economy, using expensive and exotic (and untested in the market) components to build the thing, along with not courting publishers to your platform and stripping basic long-promised features from your ever-changing SKUs.

Edited by Verity, 12 December 2008 - 07:56 PM.

#4 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

If Sony needed to cut price they would or rather when they decide it is needed they will. At present they don't seem worried by the figures. Figures which are hardly surprising given the price cut for the 360. Also I noticed loads of advertising on TV over here for the 360 which must help push sales. Sony don't seem to be bothered.

using expensive and exotic (and untested in the market) components to build the thing, along with not courting publishers to your platform and stripping basic long-promised features from your ever-changing SKUs.

As opposed to using cheap shit design which has failed when tested on the guinea pigs (customers)causing MS to need to give a 3 year warranty.
As for SKU changes the only ones not bringing out loads of variants are Nintendo. MS are as bad as Sony.

#5 omegatek

omegatek

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

Wow.... PS3 has NEGATIVE GROWTH that is very bad.

Actually.... Sony is in a lot of trouble!

Nov. 2007 / Nov 2008 = Differential
Playstation 3: 466K / 378K = -88K ---------- 18% NEGATIVE GROWTH
Playstation 2: 496K / 206K = -290K ---------- 58% NEGATIVE GROWTH
PSP: 567K / 421K = -146K ---------- 25%NEGATIVE GROWTH

Compared to:
Nov. 2007 / Nov 2008 = Differential
Wii: 981K / 2M = + 1.19M ---------- 204% POSTIVE GROWTH
DS 1.5M / 1.5M = 0 ---------- 0% NO CHANGE
Xbox 360 770K / 836k = 66K ---------- 8% POSITIVE GROWTH

I thought companies are supposed to grow not shrink tongue.gif Guess those 8,000 people Sony laid off will allow Sony to keep from having to price cut the PS3... got to cut something and I guess it's better to cut jobs than prices right? rolleyes.gif

That's what they get for being such an arrogant company.
I loved my PS2, but screw Sony and the PS3. Too expensive. Game library is lacking too.
Lol at the people who keep thinking the Wii is a fad. It's dominanting everything.

At the end of the day though I still like to fire up my 360. The wii is for my girls and family fun when we're home.

I might get a PS3 when the price drops to an affordable level. I paid the same price for 2 systems (Wii and 360) compared to what I would have paid for 1 (PS3) and my whole family gets to have fun, not just me.

#6 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

PS3 at year 2 (USA) stage of life cycle worldwide sales 17.88m
360 at year 3 stage of lifecycle (worldwide) worldwide sales 24.86m
Guess what the PS3 has done slightly more in sales than two thirds. It needs to hit 25m by December 2009 to perform similar to the 360 for the same time frame.
I don't see Sony panicking over short term comparison statistics. They will have a figure for sales throughout the life cycle. If it is way below that figure on assesment then they may act.
Negative Growth laugh.gif Why not just say it sold more in November last year......in NA.... It doesn't have the sensationalism you were aiming for.

Edited by Chancer, 12 December 2008 - 10:56 PM.

#7 Zod5000

Zod5000

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:00 AM

How much of a margin does sony have to turn it around though? the 360 has been out 3 years? they must be starting to think of the next console by now? 2 years out maybe?

ps3 doesn't sell like the ps2 did. I don't know how much strength it would have when the next gen comes out.

#8 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

I can't see next gen on any console for a while yet. What are they going to do? The machine needs to be a massive improvement on what is out now. Really significant as the cost will be higher.
I have seen all the rumours about next gen stuff on it's way etc, but I can't see it yet. Especially not form Sony. Console is not 2 years old in Europe yet.
The point is the PS3 is at a point sales wise where I would expect it to be. It has been out two thirds of the the time that the 360 has and has sold slightly more than two thirds the numbers.
If it doesn't reach 24M by this time next year then yes I think Sony are not performing as they should.

#9 Kamasutra318

Kamasutra318

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:As a Computer Engineer, I try to learn as much as I can about electronics and software. Also games.
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(omegatek @ Dec 12 2008, 04:47 PM) View Post
I thought companies are supposed to grow not shrink tongue.gif Guess those 8,000 people Sony laid off will allow Sony to keep from having to price cut the PS3... got to cut something and I guess it's better to cut jobs than prices right? rolleyes.gif
The company is shrinking, but that's more to do with the economy than those numbers. We don't know how those numbers translate to an amount of money, and last I heard they still lose money on consoles so if anything that means they're losing less money. It is unfortunate that they're selling less than the previous year, though. Cutting jobs is never good, but I don't see the relation to cutting price. Also, that number is Sony as a whole and we don't know how many of those are SCE.

#10 Daht Kahm

Daht Kahm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

Sheesh Chancer, you are one of the biggest Sony spindoctors I have encountered. After reading your post, I can't help but think you are either employed by Sony to "spread the word" or a self-proclaimed PS3 analyst. Making statements like..."If Sony hasn't sold more than 24 million worldwide by such and such date, then I will be concerned"... makes you sound like you should be on the Bloomburg channel touting your favorite stocks...

If Sony hasn't been able to take the advantage of Microsoft's bad publicity with the XBOX RRoD hardware, then it seems unlikely for them to do it after Microsoft has pushed out more reliable hardware and unleashed the price cuts. Bottom line....Sony had it's chance at total domination and they blew it.

People like you and I are more discerning customers. I have a PS3 and enjoy it thoroughly. But, just by the fact that we are posting on these type of forums make us the minority. As much as we would like to say we're the pulse of the gaming community, we're not. Otherwise, the Wii would not be where it is today. It was cute, gimmicky, and the cheapest to buy. Many will say that Sony is not looking for the Wii's audience....that is just PR bullcrap. Why would they not want to sell 2 million consoles in November? Two million people bought the Wii in November and I bet both Sony and Microsoft are trying to find ways to cut into the Wii's demographic.

Sony dropped the ball when they didn't come out with a price cut this holiday season. Why...?? Blue ray players are dropping under $200 now, and the advantage that the PS3 held as being the cheapest blue ray player has been lost. Chancer, before you argue that the PS3 has the best picture for the $$$...stop right there. I won't argue with that. It likely does....but the Wal Mart shoppers and every other Joe Shmoe doesn't care if the $199 Ignsignia blue ray player has a slightly lesser quality than the $399 PS3. They're happy that they can finally play the new blue ray movies...they're not worried if their player scored perfect in benchmark testing. Heck, they can get a standalone blue ray player and a XBOX 360 arcade for the same price. All-in-one argument..?? Shoppers don't care. Remember, we are the minority.....we are always expecting more than the average Joe.

Chancer....you should be in marketing..........

#11 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE(Daht Kahm @ Dec 17 2008, 08:43 AM) View Post

Sheesh Chancer, you are one of the biggest Sony spindoctors I have encountered. After reading your post, I can't help but think you are either employed by Sony to "spread the word" or a self-proclaimed PS3 analyst. Making statements like..."If Sony hasn't sold more than 24 million worldwide by such and such date, then I will be concerned"... makes you sound like you should be on the Bloomburg channel touting your favorite stocks...

Did you read what I said?? Don't put in quotes what is not actually a quote
If it doesn't reach 24M by this time next year then yes I think Sony are not performing as they should

If you look logically at the numbers, Why would you imagine they should have sold more at this point? Have Sony reacted to the total sales by panicking and hitting the price drop to sell at any costs button. I don't see it anywhere.

If Sony hasn't been able to take the advantage of Microsoft's bad publicity with the XBOX RRoD hardware, then it seems unlikely for them to do it after Microsoft has pushed out more reliable hardware and unleashed the price cuts. Bottom line....Sony had it's chance at total domination and they blew it.

And you call me a Spin Doctor.

People like you and I are more discerning customers. I have a PS3 and enjoy it thoroughly. But, just by the fact that we are posting on these type of forums make us the minority. As much as we would like to say we're the pulse of the gaming community, we're not. Otherwise, the Wii would not be where it is today. It was cute, gimmicky, and the cheapest to buy.

I own all 3. I don't pretend to be the pulse of any gaming community. gaming is a very small part of my daily life. Point is I like to give my opinion (and am prepared to take the stick and respond) on all the consoles and am not blinded as to not see what problems exist with each. I am also not worried about speaking up for the PS3 when IMO it is doing something right.
The Wii doesn't sell because it is cheaper. the 360 is cheaper than the Wii now.

Many will say that Sony is not looking for the Wii's audience....that is just PR bullcrap. Why would they not want to sell 2 million consoles in November? Two million people bought the Wii in November and I bet both Sony and Microsoft are trying to find ways to cut into the Wii's demographic.[/b]

I don't think they are. It's a whole different console and I would bet many own the Wii as a secondary machine as well as the 360 or PS3. Of course most won't admit it on XS in case it gets misrepresented as an anti 360 post. which is what happens any time someone states anything positive about anything else other than the 360.

Sony dropped the ball when they didn't come out with a price cut this holiday season. Why...?? Blue ray players are dropping under $200 now, and the advantage that the PS3 held as being the cheapest blue ray player has been lost. Chancer, before you argue that the PS3 has the best picture for the $$$...stop right there. I won't argue with that. It likely does....but the Wal Mart shoppers and every other Joe Shmoe doesn't care if the $199 Ignsignia blue ray player has a slightly lesser quality than the $399 PS3. They're happy that they can finally play the new blue ray movies...they're not worried if their player scored perfect in benchmark testing. Heck, they can get a standalone blue ray player and a XBOX 360 arcade for the same price. All-in-one argument..?? Shoppers don't care. Remember, we are the minority.....we are always expecting more than the average Joe.

Chancer....you should be in marketing..........

Jo public still will not buy the cheap BR players anyway. Simple fact is the discs are too expensive and many of them have only just accepted DVD. DVD prices are rock bottom so the people who don't care about the quality difference will stick to their 15 DVd players and cheap discs.
As for the price cut. Sony could still have cut price even now but they have not. they have seen the figures for the Nov sales, but still hold firm. Doesn't look like the actions of a worried company to me.
These debates would be boring if everyone came in and agreed with everything pro Ms and against anything else... why do you think I put my point for ph34r.gif

Edited by Chancer, 17 December 2008 - 05:11 PM.

#12 Achtung

Achtung

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Dec 17 2008, 05:46 PM) View Post

As for the price cut. Sony could still have cut price even now but they have not. they have seen the figures for the Nov sales, but still hold firm. Doesn't look like the actions of a worried company to me.

I completely disagree, what proof has there been that they could of cut it now?

I believe they are in the same position similar to the xbox 1 was in when Sony was dropping the price of the ps2, they has solid costs associated with bluray (similar to the nvidia cost for the xbox) that they can't cut anymore at the given time as they have already lost boat loads of cash associated with it. I believe reading they are still losing money on each console sold dropping the price even more now would be suicide.

I think this is totally proven by the fact that Sony keeps upping the HD size to try and compensate for not dropping the price, its the same tactic Microsoft used with the xbox buy including a bunch of games in box to sell the value gimmick.

Bottom line if Sony could drop the price of the PS3 and it be viable, it would.

Sorry about the double posts, server issues...

Edited by Achtung, 17 December 2008 - 07:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users