10 replies to this topic

#1 Kbone435

Kbone435

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:09 AM

IPB Image

Should be mostly self explanatory except for how the max232 is a female and the serial port on the PC is a male so I will be skipping the use of a RS232 cable.

Here is a picture of a closeup of the max232:
IPB Image

I wanted to clarify if I am doing something wrong or not. My goal is not to avoid soldering, but to avoid soldering the hard part of R707. This is why I want to use the probe from my voltmeter.

Someone on IRC told me that I may have the Tx connections wrong because I will be drawing the key twice with the way I plan on doing it, but I did not entirely understand why or how to change it to fix it.

I have done a lot of reading in the course of learning to mod my box and just need this last bit of information.

Thank you for any help or information you can provide. smile.gif

#2 OggyUK

OggyUK

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:35 AM

That persons advice was accurate, via is 'before' R707 therefor data is complete there.

You only only need Tx soldered to Tx pad if rejoining break in R707 as its where it leads to.

You intercept it before break with the via, btw, who told you that on IRC wink.gif

Im sure he told you to use Red for Power and Black for Ground in future as it could be confusing for a noob, even dangerous wink.gif

Edited by OggyUK, 14 December 2008 - 03:37 AM.

#3 kednkurt

kednkurt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:55 AM

no need to solder r707 just use the probe
btw max232 wont work @ 3.3V u need a max3232 or similar

#4 Kbone435

Kbone435

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:07 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Oggy was the one that I talked with on IRC last night. I didn't want to offend him by telling him that I didn't understand what he meant by via, but he clarified it for me in his post and on IRC just now.

What he was telling me is that the TxD solder pad near the 3.3v and Gnd is pretty much connected to the top half of r707 and that the bottom part is where the data is. So my connection would have been wrong because I did not need to connect the blue wire to the TxD pad and only needed the brown one to go directly to the max232.

Kednkurt, thanks for the info. If it does not work I will just use 3x 1.5V double A batteries and use resistors to bring it down to 3.3 volts.

#5 kednkurt

kednkurt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:28 AM

I will just use 3x 1.5V double A batteries

the 5v point is right of the 3v3, no need for batteries

#6 Kbone435

Kbone435

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:57 AM

I figured each of the different volt sections on the drive were for different things. So I will do that. thanks.

#7 jameswalker

jameswalker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:07 AM

i have the exact same adapter!

Tips:
Rx went to Tx
Tx went to Rx

It worked with 3 x 1.5 AA batteries. Remember you have a max232 not a max3232, so you should be using 5v. Not sure what you were saying with 5v and a resister.

Always check with realterm for the 101010... or whatever it is. Mine was producing static unless i had 360 chassis on common ground.

Edited by jameswalker, 14 December 2008 - 05:11 AM.

#8 Kbone435

Kbone435

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

I have one more question that I am hoping someone can clarify for me.

It's pretty simple but I am not sure about it.

I am going to try to go completely solder less and power the max232 with 4xAA batteries to get within the 5v-6v required power range of the chip. My problem is that I do not know how they should be connected.

Is it the one on the left or the one on the right?
IPB Image

EDIT: If it's the one on the right, which side should be used as ground? (I would assume it doesn't matter.)

Edited by Kbone435, 15 December 2008 - 10:49 AM.

#9 yaywoop

yaywoop

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Kbone435 @ Dec 15 2008, 09:23 PM) View Post

I have one more question that I am hoping someone can clarify for me.

It's pretty simple but I am not sure about it.

I am going to try to go completely solder less and power the max232 with 4xAA batteries to get within the 5v-6v required power range of the chip. My problem is that I do not know how they should be connected.

Is it the one on the left or the one on the right?
IPB Image

EDIT: If it's the one on the right, which side should be used as ground? (I would assume it doesn't matter.)

you have drawn the batteries in parallel. you want them in series so the voltages add up. (btw the one on the right is a very bad idea, it will flatten the batteries and make the wires and batteries very hot, possibly burning you or catching on fire and venting electrolyte)

this is how it should be. each (-|+) is a 1.5V battery cell and ---- is wire
negative ---- (-|+) ---- (-|+) ---- (-|+) ---- positive
3 x 1.5V cells = 4.5V close enough to 5V

5V can also be sourced through a computer hard drive/cd drive power plug. the red wire is 5V

#10 Kbone435

Kbone435

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hello yaywoop.

Is this a series then?
IPB Image

#11 yaywoop

yaywoop

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

yes. but the supply voltage specifications for the max232 are 4.5v to 5.5v... so using 4 x 1.5V adding up to 6V could damage the chip. either use 4 rechargeable 1.2v batteries or 3 x 1.5V batteries.

http://focus.ti.com/...link/max232.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users