• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 biggoofy

biggoofy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:23 AM

my 360 just started to not recognize a disk i dont hear the drive spinning or anything wat can i do im pretty new to the diy thing so plz help me out and i have tried multiple discs and the harddrive trick

Edited by RDC, 15 December 2008 - 07:37 AM.

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:30 AM

It's most likely the laser, but if it's a Hitachi it could be the Spindle motor is all gunked up and just needs to be taken apart and cleaned, that has to be done a certain way too. If it's any other drive see if the laser lights up, don't look directly at it, if it's not it's dead or the drive has died, most likely the laser though.

Edited by RDC, 15 December 2008 - 07:36 AM.

#3 biggoofy

biggoofy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:34 AM

how hard is it to fix the laser or install a new one my console is out of warrenty so im gonna try myself to fix it also do u have a link to a good write up on removing the case

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:41 AM

In the Pinned section of 360 Case Hardware Modding (where ya originally posted) are the Tutorials and FAQs, link is in my sig as well. The repair stuff kinda stays in the 360 General section though, but the 360 disassembly and Laser replacement Tutorials (Hitachi and Samsung) are in there. If ya have another version drive give Google a shot, also it may just need a POT tweak depending on what shape it's in after ya have a look see.

Changing a Laser isn't too difficult, though some desoldering is required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users