5 replies to this topic

#1 Tomaquet

Tomaquet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

Hi all,

Iím not sure the best place to post this but Iíve seen similar questions here so maybe someone can help me.

Iím trying to set up a wireless network between my computers and my xbox and later install xbmc on the xbox. (I already have the network setup with some shared folders between the two computers).

I bought the xbox second hand (from cash convertors) and it already had evolutionx (the dashboard says evox24 in the corner) on it (so I guess it must already have been either soft modded or has a chip in it). The xbox loads directly to the evox dashboard with the option to go to the MS dashboard. I realise I have to change the IP settings on the xbox to correctly configure the network (wireless or otherwise).

From looking at various guides on the net, you are meant to be able to change the IP settings from the MS dashboard, however on my xbox this option does not exist (is that because it has the evolutionx dashboard on it instead?). If i press the open tray on the xbox, then a settings screen loads for evolutionx where there are some options to change the ip settings. however after changing them and clicking ďsave and exitĒ, if i reboot the xbox, it does not remember the settings.

How can I permanently change the IP settings?

If I installed a new evox.ini with a boot disc with the settings I need, would this work?

Other doubts I have:
How can I get the xbox to find the relevant wireless network? (my ssid) If I preconfigure the wireless adapter (WET54G) on my pc, is that enough?

Thanks for any help offered,

Tomaquet

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

Find your evox.ini and edit the network section:

[Network]

SetupNetwork = Yes
StaticIP = No
Ip = 192.168.1.250
Subnetmask = 255.255.255.0
Defaultgateway = 192.168.1.254
DNS1 = 0.0.0.0
DNS2 = 0.0.0.0
SetupDelay = 0
SkipIfNoLink = No

Set it up for your network. If you use DHCP then you need StaticIP = No. If you use static IP addresses then you need StaticIP = Yes, and you need to manually set the Ip, Subnetmask, Defaultgateway, and DNS1 (set DNS1 to be the same as your gateway).

Configuring the wireless adapter from your PC is fine.

You might want to find out how the Xbox is modded, so you can work out how to get it to a know state......

#3 Tomaquet

Tomaquet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Dec 18 2008, 09:33 PM) View Post

Find your evox.ini and edit the network section:

Thanks for the advice

As I said in my post, any changes I make to evox.ini (from the Evolutionx dashboard) are not saved (even if i click "save and exit". Is there another way of editing the evox.ini (like from a boot disk)?

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Dec 18 2008, 09:33 PM) View Post

You might want to find out how the Xbox is modded, so you can work out how to get it to a know state......

How do I find out how my xbox was modded and how might it be able to help me?

Edited by Tomaquet, 18 December 2008 - 11:28 PM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:03 AM

I didn't say make changes from the dashboard, I said edit the network section of evox.ini. Directly. FTP it to your PC, make the changes, ftp it back!! If you can't ftp to your Xbox directly, boot with Frosty's Rescue disc and try again.

To find out how the Xbox was modded, have a look here. If none of that gives you a definitive answer then you'll have to open up the Xbox. Knowing how it is modded will help you work out how to fix it. If you don't know how it is modded you'll struggle solving problems..... smile.gif

Edited by Heimdall, 19 December 2008 - 12:03 AM.

#5 Tomaquet

Tomaquet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Dec 19 2008, 12:39 AM) View Post

I didn't say make changes from the dashboard, I said edit the network section of evox.ini. Directly. FTP it to your PC, make the changes, ftp it back!! If you can't ftp to your Xbox directly, boot with Frosty's Rescue disc and try again.

OK - I'm obviously new to this so I'm not sure of the terminology (i.e. unsure whether evox.ini refers to the file on the xbox or whether it refers to settings on the evox dashboard). I didnt think I'd be able to FTP to the xbox if I couldnt change the IP settings. Lets see if Frosty can help me out...

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Dec 19 2008, 12:39 AM) View Post

To find out how the Xbox was modded, have a look here. If none of that gives you a definitive answer then you'll have to open up the Xbox. Knowing how it is modded will help you work out how to fix it. If you don't know how it is modded you'll struggle solving problems..... smile.gif

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it...

#6 Tomaquet

Tomaquet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:46 PM

Just to add closure to this thread, Iíll let you know what I did to solve my problem.

In the end I used Auto Install Deluxe v4.3 to delete the install of evolutionx and installed xbmc. I used the file explorer (in AID) to look at evox.ini (before deleting it) and strangely the ip address was different to that displayed in the evolutionx network settings. Looks like there was some corruption in the evolutionx install that disabled the network settings. After removing it, the xbox boots to the ms retail dashboard and all the network settings options appeared. (I can also change them within xbmc too).

Anyway, thanks for all your help,

Tomaquet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users