#1 pharcycle

pharcycle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

Hi guys,

long time reader, first time poster!

I've done a google search thats not come back with anything useful, nor searching xbox-scene so i apologise if this has been covered before.

Basically does anyone know the make and model of the official 120 gb xbox 360 hdd? I'm aware that you can clone one to a WD BEVS etc drive but not sure if the guy who wrote the software (hddhackr) just happened to make it work with a WD drive or he chose it because it was the same as the official one?

I bought a 120gb hdd from a uk ebay seller that was "refurbished" so i'm trying to determine if the seller has refurbished them by buying faulty xbox 360 drives, putting in a new wd drive, writing the partitions and the hddss.bin from the internet and selling them at a profit. He did have over 3000 feedback @99% +ve including other 360 drives but this is not exactly conclusive!

I've just opened up the one i bought and lo and behold its got a WD BEVS in it. Other things to make me sceptical about its authenticity are that one of the security holograms over a torx screw is missing.

If he's cloned the security sector from the faulty drive then thats fine but i don't particularly fancy getting banned from xbox live on a punt! Will try and rip the security sector and compare it from the one on xbins but even if its not the same it doesn't proove anything.

If it is a clone its not the end of the world as the drive from ebay was 55, and the raw WD BEVS from dabs.com is 40 so i can just use it as a regular hdd (or do i need information that will have been lost when it was cloned?)

Thanks to anyone who's read this far - sorry for the ramblings - and hope you can shed some light.
Dave

P.S. i will query the seller about the history of the drive, but if i ask him if its genuine the answer will be the same regardless if he's a genuine seller or a faker! If i'm going to prove it one way or the other i want to know my facts first!

Edited by pharcycle, 18 December 2008 - 08:40 PM.

#2 Vauxfan

Vauxfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

Genuine 120GB drive would be a Fujitsu MHW2120BH 2.5" laptop drive, Hddhacker just flashes the WD into that model.

Yes you are right. Generally, if its a 120gb drive in a grey case its not genuine. All he has done is bought a load of E6x(cant remember code sorry) drives and a load of bevs and sold them as refurbished drives.

He woud have used a generic 120gb hddss file, the hddss files from 20gb drives would only give 20gb of space, even if he did have a genuine 120gb file, you along with whoever bought those drive all share that common hddss

#3 pharcycle

pharcycle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

I couldn't find the HDD cases you were talking about so i can't compare the one i've got with it. Mine does have a sticker with some ms info but this could also be a clone.

http://rapidshare.co..._Drive.jpg.html

i've uploaded a photo if someone cares to comment on it. i've blurred the serial numbers just in case it is genuine and they're significant. It has the small oval MS XB360 hologram too.

In your opinion does this look like a fake case?

Thanks.
David

#4 Mholt215

Mholt215

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

Upload it to imageshack.us I dont think anyone wants to download the file.

#5 Vauxfan

Vauxfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

That is a 20gb Hdd case, looks genuine enough. grey=20/60 black=120. Does it just say HDD on the top?

I dont know why you are worried about the case being genuine, the hdd definatly isnt. I have never seen fake cases that are made to look like MS ones, serials and all. There would be no point. you can get 3rd party cases from ebay but they tend to be all all black, shiny not matte like with a genuine 120gb drive.

#6 pharcycle

pharcycle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:45 PM

try
IPB Image

I'm just concerned incase i get banned from xbox live for using a coppied hard drive thats all. and annoyed cos i could have done it myself cheaper...

Yeah, just says HDD on top.

Will contact the seller and ask him to explain himself!

Thanks.
Dave

#7 Blue Dingo

Blue Dingo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:14 AM

yes, i also want to know if using a modded WD get you banned from xbl?

Edited by Blue Dingo, 19 December 2008 - 02:17 AM.

#8 pharcycle

pharcycle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

contacted seller and he game me a refund so all in all quite a positive ending, except that i still don't have a 120gb hdd drive! Nevermind.

Thanks for your help.
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users