Best Hope For Repair?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Avatar28

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:13 AM

Okay, my console has been having ongoing issues with DVD drives burning out on me. I have gone through three or four of the things now. What generally happens is that it stops reading discs and tells me to put the game into an xbox 360 console. The dashboard thinks that I have a DVD inserted. Turning up the laser will help for a bit but it eventually stops working again. I have been swapping controller boards between drives so I am pretty sure the board is causing them to burn out. Now I have an additional problem. I turned on my console this evening and everything started up normally. After about five minutes, it locked up with graphical corruption on the screen, a checkerboard pattern of blocks and a few jittery lines, though it is still possible to make out the image. I turned it off and back on and got the dreaded 3 RROD. Unfortunately I did not realize at the time to look for any sort of flashing codes with it. I turned it off and back on again and it would start to boot up, then lock up about halfway through the xbox logo coming onto the screen with the same graphical error. It has been prety consistent about that. I turned it off for a few minutes and disconnected the power then tried again. This time it booted okay but after about 30 seconds or a minute at the dashboard, same problem. Obviously it appears to be heat related in some way, but I'm not certain exactly what. Since I cracked the case (haha, literally) to fix the drive after the warranty had expired (before they extended them), sending it in wouldn't seem to be an option.

Realizing that my drive is on the fritz again (yay for being able to copy discs to the hdd now), what is going to be my best bet to get this thing up and running? Or do I just say to hell with it and toss it in the trash pile and do without until I can afford a new one; or more likely a used one as I can get the Arcade locally for about $130-140. I can limp along with my current drive for the moment, though I would like to be able to get it fixed too at some point.

#2 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:00 AM

These graphical artifacts are not overheating it just means that there is a cold joint that disconnects the GPU from the ANA-chip when it warms up.
The error you are getting will have been E74 or 0022 these are related to that.
How to fix it can be read here -> http://xbox-experts....rcode.php?e=E74

#3 Avatar28

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:52 AM

Thank you. That is the sort of reply I was hoping for. I read the FAQ about the error codes, but i'm afraid it wasn't really clear how to read them. I thought maybe counting the flashes, but they all flashed in sync and there didn't seem to be any sort of pattern to it. Also, the page you linked to showed only a single red light in the lower right quadrant. Mine had three red lights in I believe it was the 1, 3 and 4 positions.

Edited by Avatar28, 19 December 2008 - 08:54 AM.

#4 phistyle

phistyle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:10 AM

My xbox 360 was doing the same thing last week while I was playing gears of war 2 online. The screen froze with some artifacts on the screen and a loud screeching buzz. I turned my 360 off and then back on and it was fine. Then today, it did the same thing while just idle in the dashboard. So i turned it off again and turned it back on and got the 3 red rings of death. Weird was that today was the last day of my warranty on this xbox 360 too...Thank god....hope they send me back a jasper lol smile.gif

#5 Avatar28

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Dec 19 2008, 01:36 AM) View Post

These graphical artifacts are not overheating it just means that there is a cold joint that disconnects the GPU from the ANA-chip when it warms up.
The error you are getting will have been E74 or 0022 these are related to that.
How to fix it can be read here -> http://xbox-experts....rcode.php?e=E74

You're good, it was a 0022 error. :-)

#6 Millerboy3

Millerboy3

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:34 AM

x-clamp and a heatgun should do the trick. smile.gif