4 replies to this topic

#1 wrzt

wrzt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:40 AM

Hey 360 wizards-

I need a little bit of advice moving forward. I recently flashed the firmware on my Hitachi 47 with the iXtreme 1.4 8x firmware. The flash was successful and went down without a hitch. My 360 has no problems playing DVDs or retail copies of games, but I am experiencing some trouble getting my backups to play.

I've been using Verbatim (from Singapore) DVD+R DL media burning at 2.4x using imgburn to burn my backups. The burn process is always successful; where I am encountering a problem is when I pop the backups into my 360 to play them. 9 out of 10 times when I insert the backup I will just get the open tray message, but eventually with enough ejecting and re-inserting of the disc my 360 will recognize and play it. I'm wondering what I am doing wrong, because it sounds like most of you are getting your backups to play without problems when you insert the disc the first time. I am using a Plextor PX-716UF DVD Burner, which has been solid for me with DL burning in the past (however I had never used it to burn 360 backups).

I tried adjusting the DVD POT as one forum post thread suggested - this seemed to help, but only minimally. Do any of you maestros have any suggestions for me as to how I can get the backups to load more reliably? Thank you much, I appreciate any thoughts on the issue.

#2 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts
  • Interests:Techno gadgets and espresso coffee
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:24 PM

one of two things backup not good, or laser problem
1) it could simply be you backup , since you have a hitachi you cannot extract SS.
How have you done the backup?
-which software,
-and drive to rip?

2) if that is not the problem then clean laser -->> pot calibration -->> replace laser is the usual order if they are well done backup on good verbatim media.

soso

Edited by sosotiit, 21 December 2008 - 03:25 PM.

#3 wrzt

wrzt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(sosotiit @ Dec 21 2008, 08:00 AM) View Post

one of two things backup not good, or laser problem
1) it could simply be you backup , since you have a hitachi you cannot extract SS.
How have you done the backup?
-which software,
-and drive to rip?

2) if that is not the problem then clean laser -->> pot calibration -->> replace laser is the usual order if they are well done backup on good verbatim media.

soso

Thanks for your response soso. My brother brought over one of those kreon drives and made the backups for me. We tested the copies on his samsung 360 today and they worked without a hitch, so I'm guessing that would suggest a laser issue.

I cleaned my laser by dabbing rubbing alcohol on the lens with a qtip and then using another qtip to dry it. I assume that is sufficient but if there is a more effective way to clean the laser please let me know.

I have also done POT Calibration - My drive was 3.16 (20k ohm) initially and I brought the resistance down to 3.04. According to the guide I read, it is not safe to drop below 3 ohms. Do you think I should lower it further and is there a good chance it could help?

If the laser is infact fried, is it best to replace the entire drive or just the laser itself? Is it typical for a drive with a failing laser to be able to read retail games and dvds alright but have trouble with backups? Like I said, once I can get them booted, I have no problem playing for hours. It's just getting them to play initially that is the issue. There is also a very unusual high pitched sound emanating from the drive only when it plays backups - don't know if the issue is related or what the sound is from. Thanks again for your help

W

#4 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts
  • Interests:Techno gadgets and espresso coffee
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(wrzt @ Dec 22 2008, 03:49 AM) View Post

If the laser is infact fried, is it best to replace the entire drive or just the laser itself? Is it typical for a drive with a failing laser to be able to read retail games and dvds alright but have trouble with backups? Like I said, once I can get them booted, I have no problem playing for hours. It's just getting them to play initially that is the issue. There is also a very unusual high pitched sound emanating from the drive only when it plays backups - don't know if the issue is related or what the sound is from. Thanks again for your help

W

it does happen, comes for the original being pressed disc and writables being dye disc.

From what you say the backup seems OK, you can replace the laser they are cheap (BST section here or ebay or...) or get a new drive (ideally same model)

I will move you to a section that will be better placed to help you on replacing the laser.
if you want to replace your drive, look at the pinned in Hacking/Technical DVD-ROM

soso

Edited by sosotiit, 22 December 2008 - 04:54 PM.

#5 wrzt

wrzt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:54 AM

Thanks soso.

Could anyone in this forum advise me as to the best thing to do moving forward? Is it better/easier/more reliable to get a new drive or to replace the laser? Thanks

w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users