#1 trudat

trudat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:53 AM

Im not having much luck with the xclamp fix. My first setup was 1 nylon 1 metal washer under and over the board. New thermal paste and everything. The fix seemed to work at first but the xbox started freezing after 5 mins of use. After a few restarts it gave me 1 red light indicating hardware failure, i also got the code 0102. So i decided to redo the xclamp fix.

Now.....

Im using 1 nylon washer under and one over, perfect removal of the old thermal paste, perfect amount of the new thermal paste. Screw are tightened just until theyre snug, no real force applied.

Set the board back in the case with the dvd drive in and the fan over the cpu, heated it up for 15 mins while the RROD was flashing. Shut it off after 15 and let it completely cool down. Fired it back up with the fan and blower in place and everything was fine. Let it run for a few mins and it froze up with a grid of green dots after 5 mins.

Anyone have any tips for me? Or what my next step should be? Any info is greatly appreciated.

#2 MindphaserXY

MindphaserXY

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:58 AM

That's the unknown error. Have you tried the RAM penny trick?

#3 trudat

trudat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:05 AM

I havnt yet. i guess ill give it a shot right now

#4 Armen1er

Armen1er

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

well im pretty sure that i seen on a heatgun tutorial that the guy was having graphical errors/gliteches freezing and he did the heat gun fix actually it says in the tutorial title the 0102 fix heres the video tutorial(which is to show you how to do it) http://360mods.net/i...p...icle&sid=72 this one is just pictures but i think its the same thing check them out http://xbox-experts....hp?n=heatguniso hope it fixes it because im doing my xbox the heatgun fix soon also good luck! EDIT: BTW just found this one its really good for the protection part http://ioverflow.net/xbox360/heatgun1/

Edited by Armen1er, 22 December 2008 - 08:04 AM.

#5 ominous01

ominous01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

i mostly use the Wilhelm method which has you use 2 (1mm) washers on the top of the mobo, i don't use any under and that's just my preference. Also I line the edges of the mobo with a credit card/ phone cardof a thickness of .7mm to ensure even distribution of pressure. I was getting the same problem when I did my first fix and it was because I didn't use the card pcs and because I didn't bake.

Here's the link to the tutorial, this is ver.2 and is more in depth, if you want just use it to understand the "credit-card" placement idea, but i recommend following it to the T, and if you really want the fix to stick reflow the chips first, second link.

X-Clamp replacement:
http://xbox-experts....php?n=xclampeng

Reflow Tutorial:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=651407

Hope this helps and best of luck to you. Follow the directions exactly and you should be golden for a lot longer than the average x-clamp fix. I have repaired quite a few with these methods and have had not problems yet.

Also you can add the pennies, but I don't recommend adding more than 2, this can cause flexing which you don't want. pop.gif

#6 trudat

trudat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

Im trying the penny trick but i cant get the hot glue to stick to the ram chip. Is there a special type of hot glue?

#7 humboldt111502

humboldt111502

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Repairing/Modding xbox 360s. Contact me if you need help with yours.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(ominous01 @ Dec 22 2008, 05:18 PM) View Post

i mostly use the Wilhelm method which has you use 2 (1mm) washers on the top of the mobo, i don't use any under and that's just my preference. Also I line the edges of the mobo with a credit card/ phone cardof a thickness of .7mm to ensure even distribution of pressure. I was getting the same problem when I did my first fix and it was because I didn't use the card pcs and because I didn't bake.

Here's the link to the tutorial, this is ver.2 and is more in depth, if you want just use it to understand the "credit-card" placement idea, but i recommend following it to the T, and if you really want the fix to stick reflow the chips first, second link.

X-Clamp replacement:
http://xbox-experts....php?n=xclampeng

Reflow Tutorial:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=651407

Hope this helps and best of luck to you. Follow the directions exactly and you should be golden for a lot longer than the average x-clamp fix. I have repaired quite a few with these methods and have had not problems yet.

Also you can add the pennies, but I don't recommend adding more than 2, this can cause flexing which you don't want. pop.gif

Actually the most updated X-clamp tutorial is found here:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=669605

there would pretty much be no point of putting on two pennies on the bottom, and putting 3 or more is bad and will cause flexing. Pennies are for piggy banks, not xbox 360's.

Edited by humboldt111502, 22 December 2008 - 09:48 PM.

#8 ominous01

ominous01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

Oops. Thanx Humbolt that's the one I meant to put in, guess I pasted the wrong page.

#9 trudat

trudat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

anyone in CA wanna fix this thing? How much do you charge?

#10 trudat

trudat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

Ive applied the credit card strips. I have another question tho... Im using Ceramique by arctic silver, should i be using arctic silver 5 instead? here is a picture of the product on my gpu and cpu.

IPB Image

IPB Image

#11 humboldt111502

humboldt111502

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Repairing/Modding xbox 360s. Contact me if you need help with yours.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(trudat @ Dec 22 2008, 10:45 PM) View Post

anyone in CA wanna fix this thing? How much do you charge?

I live in California, send me a PM

#12 rigger66

rigger66

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(trudat @ Dec 23 2008, 01:27 AM) View Post

Ive applied the credit card strips. I have another question tho... Im using Ceramique by arctic silver, should i be using arctic silver 5 instead? here is a picture of the product on my gpu and cpu.

IPB Image
IPB Image

You never going to get the xbox working with them imprints you have on the heat sinks, and I can also see you have not cleaned them very well ohmy.gif so Start again and clean them suckers real good and make sure you get a full imprint on both heatsinks smile.gif Your card strips may be to thick so start again and make sure you get A FULL IMPRINT on both sinks .

Rigger66

#13 trudat

trudat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:23 AM

I cleaned them with Goo Gone and they both had perfect mirror finishes. I can tell that the heatsink and processors arnt touching that well. So ive tightened things up.

I was going to start it back up and bake it, but i got 2 red lights as soon as i powered up, what now?

#14 andys89

andys89

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:32 AM

I thought you were suppose to use Arctic silver 5 not the one ur using?

#15 trudat

trudat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:34 AM

i havnt found anything yet that says not to use Ceramique by Arctic Silver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users