• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beefwellington

beefwellington

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

I found out (after hours of work) that I have a bricked DVD drive. I wanted to buy a replacement drive but before I do so, I wanted to make sure my replacement would work when I swap the board from my bricked dvd drive to my replacement. Is the firmware stored on the same board that has the security key on it? Or will I be able to swap it without a problem?

#2 Millerboy3

Millerboy3

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:42 AM

depends on what you mean bricked. we need more details. yes the FW is in the same place the key is. (thats why you get the key OUT of the firmware)

#3 beefwellington

beefwellington

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

i bought a RROD'd 360 off ebay. Got it working again except it can't read any dvd's (audio cd, dvd movie, 360 games). It says "Reading" then goes right to "Open Tray". I tried flashing the firmware with iXtreme 1.4 and 1.5 with iPrepv006. Every attempt results in "No device found", even with all SATA connections unplugged except for the 360's DVD drive. And I have updated my SATA controllers drivers. The drive came like this with the system.

#4 3LSl@Sh3r

3LSl@Sh3r

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

i have that exact same problem i bought a new drive and swapped the keys but it still gave me the same reading disc then straight 2 open tray i think your best bet would be to flash your new keywith your new drive and who knows maybe the other drive will work as well cause obviously there is an issue with the old key itself. thats what i plan on doing as soon as i get some free time. if it works ill let u know or if you do it before me let me know if it worked for you!

#5 beefwellington

beefwellington

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:39 AM

I don't have a new drive yet. I bought the 360 off ebay, fixed it, and the dvd doesn't work. So before I order a new dvd drive, I'd like to know if I can get the key off the old one since it's bricked.

#6 deadpool66

deadpool66

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Games Girls Weed
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:17 AM

Depends on what drive and what you mean by bricked? Had the console been opened before you bought it?

#7 beefwellington

beefwellington

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Yes it was opened before I got it. My computer can't see the drive (VIA6421 sata controller) and it can't read ANY disks. It's a TS-H934 MS25. I've tried flashing it but no luck since the drive can't be seen.

#8 3LSl@Sh3r

3LSl@Sh3r

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

beefwellington:
I don't have a new drive yet. I bought the 360 off ebay, fixed it, and the dvd doesn't work. So before I order a new dvd drive, I'd like to know if I can get the key off the old one since it's bricked.

well then maybe we bought xbox from the same dude, and i did buy a new drive so wut i did was i opened new drive got the key that was in new drive set it aside opened the old drive got the key out of there and swapped it into new drive put it back into xbox gave it a test run but no luck it gave the same problem 1st reading disc 2nd open disc tray same as the old one. My prediction is that the key itself was poorly flashed and whoever had it before me messed it up so my advice which i will do myself is flash new drive with the new key and who knows maybe the old drive is not messed up maybe it works just fine it just needed to be flashed correctly. Hope this helps u out!

Edited by 3LSl@Sh3r, 30 December 2008 - 07:34 PM.

#9 beefwellington

beefwellington

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(3LSl@Sh3r @ Dec 30 2008, 02:06 PM) View Post

well then maybe we bought xbox from the same dude, and i did buy a new drive so wut i did was i opened new drive got the key that was in new drive set it aside opened the old drive got the key out of there and swapped it into new drive put it back into xbox gave it a test run but no luck it gave the same problem 1st reading disc 2nd open disc tray same as the old one. My prediction is that the key itself was poorly flashed and whoever had it before me messed it up so my advice which i will do myself is flash new drive with the new key and who knows maybe the old drive is not messed up maybe it works just fine it just needed to be flashed correctly. Hope this helps u out!

ok but how can i get the key off my old dvd drive if the software can't see it?

#10 3LSl@Sh3r

3LSl@Sh3r

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

ok but how can i get the key off my old dvd drive if the software can't see it?

the old circuit board from your drive is no good you need to when you buy your new drive its going to come with a new board as well that is the one you will need 2 flash more than likely the reason your software cant see it is cuz the old board was poorly flashed and someonle that had it before u messed it up. i am not a professional tech but i strongly believe after a bunch of research of my own that the circuit board is no good. hope this helps.

#11 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

If you can't get your drive recognized on the PC then you can't read the firmware to flash it to another drive. Read up on firmware readers. I think you can get one to read the data off the board.

I agree with previous posts, it sounds like someone flashed the drive and screwed it up. If you can't recover the key than the Xbox is useless. No other DVD drive will work without being locked to that Xbox.

Look in the B/S/T section. There maybe someone there that can recover the key for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users