Photo

Streaming From An External Hard Drive To My 360?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HaredX

HaredX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hi, I have a 1tb external hard drive connected to my desktop. I already set up my xbox for streaming before I got the external. I have the entire external drive shared on my network and also some folders inside of it are shared separately but when I go into the videos on my 360 I cannot see the drive or any of the folders on the drive. I can see them just fine on my laptop and I have added the whole drive to media sharing in Windows Media Player but I still cannot see the drive on my 360. Any advice? TIA

#2 watson349

watson349

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:nitro rc cars
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:47 AM

i believe the hard drive must be a fat32 file system for the 360 to recognize it.

#3 NiCkO

NiCkO

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

He said it was connected to the 'DESKTOP' So it's what the xbox can read is irrelevant.

you have to add the drive or folders to the sharing library in Windows Media Player. (ensure media sharing is set up). EDIT : Sorry just re-read your post..

erm ok, Firstly I would just add one folder to your library in media player. Let it search for all the content, then try again.

However IF you want to attach the hard drive directly to the xbox 360, then yes it needs to be forematted in fat32. However I recommend getting Macdrive, and formatting in HFS+ (apple mac format). This way you can watch files over 4gig.

Edited by NiCkO, 02 January 2009 - 03:04 PM.

#4 woody21_1

woody21_1

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

as said the files will only show up on the xbox if they are in the media library in media centre. just open media centre, press F3 and then let it scan your pc for media files, once done run the xbox up and let it update its library.

#5 bintoe

bintoe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

I have a 320Gb harddrive (formatted NTFS), and had it streaming mp4s from the harddrive to my xbox through my laptop...but for some reason it wont do it anymore....:s still tryin to figure out y

#6 cc91222

cc91222

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

download macdrive and format to hfts+ its the only way to go! thanks op!

#7 Furiae

Furiae

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:01 AM

So i had the same problem as the OP and i tried the solutions listed but nothing.

Worth a try so i... made a shortcut to my external from one of my shared folders and it worked.

Now i just have to go to my PCs shared folder and my external is listed inside on the 360. laugh.gif

#8 icet62

icet62

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:16 AM

I just use tversity now works really well. I used to use windows media player but it sucked over all compared to tversity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users