Dr Dimento

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

I am looking for a way to stream live tv from my fileserver which is equipped with a tv tuner card, to my various xboxes in my home. I've gotten that far already, but I need the ability to change the channel from within XBMC without disconnecting from the stream and doing it manually (or some other "clunky" way).

I've tried Sage TV and a couple others to no avail. I'm at the point of considering installing linux and mythtv server on my fileserver. However, this will be a PITA since setting up printers that are shared over a network is a pain in linux (and the fileserver is also my printserver).......plus I don't even know if it will work. I'm sure I can stream like that but will I be able to browse the channels relatively fluently?

This is the last remaining obstacle to me ever having to switch video input from my Xbox. As is, I use XBMC for every single thing I do as far as home entertainment, EXCEPT watch livetv. To do that I have to change my tv input from xbox to cable. Granted, it is only a couple button presses.......but I would much prefer it through XBMC.

Also, since I get notified of emails, phone calls/caller id, etc etc.....I would prefer to always have XBMC open.

If anyone has any currently working methods for this, PLEASE let me know as I've been searching for a few months now without success.

#2 BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:36 AM

im going to try doing this again pretty soon.
Last time around I was using a python script (JTV I think it was) involved having J-Player or something like that on the PC which would use your DTV card and the script effectively controlled it and allowed you to tune in etc from XBMC.

Main problem was it was pretty clunky and slow with channel changes etc.

I was looking for the actual windows media center dash for xbox which i believe was released by msoft late in the piece, as this should work fine for live tv i would hope (it does on 360)

#3 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:09 AM

What about using an RF remote to change the channel directly on the PC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users