• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mapleleafs

mapleleafs

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

my friend gave me his spare mobo he had, it's a p4m80-m7, he had it in his computer and said it acted like he got a power surge one night cause his psu is squealing now and won't power on the mobo, i am assuming the squealing is a bad cap, but i took the mobo, put it in my comp and used my mobo, tried to power it on, it will go past the post screen but before it will come up to the loading windows screen it quickly flashes up an error screen and the computer restarts, i can get into the bios, tried changing a few things and also loading optimal defaults but it still does the same thing, i got looking at the mobo and there was a blown capacitor 6.3V 3300 uF by the corner of the heatsink on the processor so i swapped the caps for a known good one, same value and the computer is still doing the same thing on restart, is there anything else i could try to get this thing to start up i am trying to get it to start so i can flash my 360 drive cause my comp doesn't have sata, i know there could be so many things wrong with this and i probably can't fix it but i just wanted to ask

thanks in advance

#2 RiceCake

RiceCake

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:Wait, what the hell?<br />Your interested in what I do?<br />None of your damn buisness!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

Whats really bad is its likely all the caps on the board could be fucked up. They don't have to explode to radically change in their rated values, and judging by the weird scenario its likely the cause.

It could also be memory, which usually is the root cause of bluescreens like that, but the capacitor situation makes me very doubtful of that.

#3 woody21_1

woody21_1

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE(RiceCake @ Jan 3 2009, 12:43 AM) View Post

Whats really bad is its likely all the caps on the board could be fucked up. They don't have to explode to radically change in their rated values, and judging by the weird scenario its likely the cause.

It could also be memory, which usually is the root cause of bluescreens like that, but the capacitor situation makes me very doubtful of that.

this guys right about the caps, even if they look good they can break down internally from being overvolted and overheated.

if ones actually blown then more will have been damaged, the mosfets could also be damaged and causing unstable power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users