76 replies to this topic

#1 m190677s

m190677s

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 06:41 AM

Hi Guys/Galls,

I think it would be great to have a Internet Browser on the x-box with out installing a complete operatingsystem, and startable from the evo-x menu. Is this possible?

Hoping to hear from you soon!

#2 mxlegend99

mxlegend99

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 07:51 AM

this would be cool, but i dont think it would be easily done..... I would love for someone to prove me wrong though biggrin.gif

#3 xahur

xahur

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 06:59 PM

Im very sure, that will happen... Someday.

I hope for a nice, easy-to-use, browser and mailclient (No webmail at my office)

Please, somebody... This is needed desperately!

///Xahur

#4 mxlegend99

mxlegend99

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 09:28 AM

Nice to see your confident LOL. I know the crew at Avalaunch are unable to do it, as one of them is bound by contract, not to "touch anything that remotely resembles an internet browser", or something to that effect biggrin.gif

Pity that, they IMO, would have had the best odds on succeeding, but there are still many ppl capable i guess, but those may require an open source net browser to port, are there any available?

I would love to see one, i wish i where capable of creating xbe files from programs sources... but i tried it, and im too lazy to get it to work biggrin.gif

#5 The unProfessional

The unProfessional

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:See website....
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 June 2003 - 04:57 PM

Developing a browser on the PC basically involves taking something open source, like Mozilla, and writing all of the GDI-related code to actually render the pages.

However, on the xbox, all the drawing code would need to be written to display web pages using D3D. You can imagine how much code would need to be written to do so -- I don't think it's worth it to anyone to create a web browser. After all, you're on this forum, it looks like you already have easy access to a web browser wink.gif. Besides, how much would it suck to surf the web from an xbox controller... I just don't think the demand is there, considering the work requirements.

The email client is probably a little more useful, but not much. Once again, who wants to send and receive email with an xbox controller... I suppose it would be useful for receiving and reading email if you have only an Xbox and not a computer around (can't imagine that happening too often).

Why use an Xbox for web browsing and email when there's a PC around??

Just my thoughts... I personally wouldn't want to write a browser for the Xbox because it would be ALOT of work, and probably wouldn't be too useful to most people.

#6 xahur

xahur

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 06:43 PM

Well...
I can tell u this, it WILL happen.

Cause u c, im from the future, and i came here in a timemachine I invented... And im usin me xbox to write this....

wonder y ppl neva believes in me stories... dry.gif

#7 The unProfessional

The unProfessional

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 09:57 PM

What in the ...? I can't understand what you're saying... Are you trying to say that you're writing one? Well then great, go for it.

Oh, btw... dont do drugs, man, they're bad for you.

#8 xbox_freak!!

xbox_freak!!

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Interests:eat, sleep, xbox

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (The unProfessional @ Jun 23 2003, 06:57 PM)
What in the ...? I can't understand what you're saying... Are you trying to say that you're writing one? Well then great, go for it.

Oh, btw... dont do drugs, man, they're bad for you.

laugh.gif jester.gif laugh.gif I laughed my @$$ off on that one! rotfl!

#9 aweirdguy

aweirdguy

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 June 2003 - 08:33 PM

who wants to send and receive email with an xbox controller

I agree it sounds like a neat idea, but unless you're installing linux and a keyboard it would be a major pain to use.... and then you wouldn't need a special browser. Who wants to tab thru web links like webtv? And it would suk bigtime to write an email choosing letters with the controller....

#10 bigcol

bigcol

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 02:41 PM

Well you can sort of use (several) webbrowsers along with a few other internet proggies (email, mirc, etc) with this cool new linux distro called dynebolic. I dont know why its not popular, because unlike every other linux distro on the xbox this one can be run straight from a cd-rw without installing anything to the xbox's hdd. So it wont partition you're hdd, it runs straight from a cdrw!!! I've got it and i love it, its easy to use for the linux noob (me), has all these great apps that can be easily accessed and it runs great! get it from www.dynebolic.org

Note: the iso image available for d/l there is capable of being booted on both a PC or xbox.

Its the closest thing you'll probably be getting for a while for a webbrowser on the xbox without having to install linux. And yes, you must have a keyboard and mouse.

#11 bombzhome

bombzhome

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Xbox, and MORE XBOX!
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 July 2003 - 02:05 AM

THERE IS A WEB BROWSER FOR XBOX...try installing GenTooX... and using Mozilla! dry.gif

#12 deleted23

deleted23

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:31 PM

Funny, I've had two separate occasions that after 10mins of showing someone my xbox, they said "so lemme see what web browsing is like on this" I guess most people assume that it would have been done by now. I'm not a programmer, so I can't say I have the first idea about the difficulty involved in something like this, but I would say that I personally would find it to be useful. Linux on the xbox isn't a good solution if you are simply wanting to browse the web or write emails for four reasons a) it takes too long to start cool.gif linux plus whatever windows manager you happen to be running takes too much memory to run a web browser with any sort of speed (yes, even wmaker) c) it's not formatted to be run on a tv properly, to do this you would need to redo the layout to customize it for the xbox d) only works with svideo or worse connections, so no component lovin'at this time, sorry I have a tv that displays 480p and 1080i, so I would like to use it.

P.S. This is in no way meant to be a slam on the xbox linux community, I think it is great for many things... it just doesnt make a good desktop PC with the default 64mb of mem and an svid connection

Edited by deleted23, 23 July 2003 - 01:32 PM.

#13 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:01 PM

Web browsing in 1993 -> EASY

Web browsing in 2003 -> Damn bat guano insanely difficult.

Why? Take a look at the source for most web pages these days... Flash, Java, VBScript, extensions... there are countless issues to navigate around just to display a single page correctly. Let's not even get to the notion of fetching data through firewalls and proxies. Let's not get into the notion of supporting web forms and the HTML UI functionality.

- and when somebody does do it, everybody will cry about how it doesn't support this, or it doesn't support that... or how broken some pages look.

Writing a web browser these days is a proposition akin to writing a Windows clone (backwards compatible with existing software). You need a good size development team, set requirements, test procedures, etc. It's just not a simple task.

#14 Carsten

Carsten

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Programmin
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:42 PM

Well what we could do is use the XboxLive Head Set and make a Voice Recongization progy that would type for you. I know this would be hard but possible. This could solve the keyboard issue. I donno once I have some free time I might try to do this

#15 The unProfessional

The unProfessional

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:19 PM

Ooh then you introduce the insane difficulty of speech recognition. Then, even if you got it working, people would cry about how it messes up X out of every Y words. Speech recognition isn't near perfect. Even companies such as Dragon have spent years and millions on the technology, which still screws up a fair amount of the time, even when it's tuned to your voice.

I would suggest just using a USB keyboard, to solve that issue cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users