• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fiveseven

fiveseven

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

Long time no post. I used to do the classic xbox modding a lot.. so if you recognize me.. HELLO!

I started an online petition for the repair of PS3 consoles. My BR drive has failed. My fathers failed after 2 weeks of owning it. My brother has gone thru 2. It's insane. The failure rate isnt reported correctly.

If your PS3 is working, AWESOME! I love my machine, but I dont want to pour another 150 to get it fixed. It robbery. Sony knows it has issues and wont address them.

Sign if you want. Its not going to hurt.

http://www.petitions...tions/PS3RECALL

Dont flame my thread. biggrin.gif

Moderators - I read the policy.. didnt say anything about this... if petitions aren't allowed just simply send me a message TY!

#2 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

Providing this is the only place here you post it then fine.
Sony have been doing free repairs on some of this stuff, but the failure rate is way lower than the norm, so although you have had bad luck with your machines it may not be as widespread as you imagine.
Edit
Sorry, I just read it. Your conditions in the petition are outrageous and you are living in a surreal world if you believe you are entitled to most of that.

Edited by Chancer, 03 January 2009 - 10:06 PM.

#3 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:56 AM

3.1) SCEA will extend the warranty of the HARDWARE to 3 years.

3.2) SCEA will extend the warranty of the HARDWARE's Blu-Ray drive to 5 years.

4) SCEA must refund the purchase price of the HARDWARE to the OWNER if the OWNER wishes.

In your dreams.....

#4 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:27 AM

A dead drive is just something you will always have to deal with in a game console that has them. It's been an issue with just about every console I've owned (outside of the saturn biggrin.gif ), so this petition is unrealistic.

#5 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:51 AM

good luck and all, but you need to readjust the scope on that sniper rifle.

did all of these consoles die within the same household? maybe you have Microsoft ninjas coming in and messing up your consoles!

#6 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

not even a lick of proof in the petition rolleyes.gif

#7 ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

This will never happen.
Way over the top, completely unrealistic.
Its like having the Transmission in your car go out long after your manufacturer warranty is gone.
Your car still works but you cant really go anywhere. (PS3 still works but you can't play much)
SCEA would NEVER give a full refund to those that decided that is what they wanted after the hardware failed out of warranty.
Just like no car company would give you a full refund on a car that is out of warranty that had a transmission go out.
That is like you can use my product as long as you want and if it breaks just send it back to us and we will give you your money back.

#8 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(fiveseven @ Jan 3 2009, 08:18 PM) View Post

Long time no post. I used to do the classic xbox modding a lot.. so if you recognize me.. HELLO!

I started an online petition for the repair of PS3 consoles. My BR drive has failed. My fathers failed after 2 weeks of owning it. My brother has gone thru 2. It's insane. The failure rate isnt reported correctly.

If your PS3 is working, AWESOME! I love my machine, but I dont want to pour another 150 to get it fixed. It robbery. Sony knows it has issues and wont address them.

Moderators - I read the policy.. didnt say anything about this... if petitions aren't allowed just simply send me a message TY!

And how many people go on to forums like this saying their 360, Wii and PS3 are working fine? People come to forums for help on problems and hardware problems, I've had my PS3 and 360 over a year now and no problems yet, I really don't see why people do stuff like this, you think Sony is even gonna read your petition? It simple electrical hardware can fail, just like anything like cars etc, you have to maintain them. I'd like to know if you smoke or how you treat your electrical stuff and how dusty and scratched all your CD's etc are and if you move them while it's on, I simply don't believe your post, sorry but I have to say it.

Edited by bucko, 07 January 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

It robbery. Sony knows it has issues and wont address them.

It sure does have issues. Another 11 people have signed that petition. I hope those were not your friends, that you persuaded to sign.
This looks like going as big as the Rrod

#10 murder-assassin

murder-assassin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jan 8 2009, 12:59 AM) View Post

It sure does have issues. Another 11 people have signed that petition. I hope those were not your friends, that you persuaded to sign.
This looks like going as big as the Rrod

Chancer, i don't think you'll have to worry about it being widespread as the 360, but it is definitely a problem. Im on my second ps3 and im no longer covered by my HUGE dry.gif 1 year warranty... the only thing i like about Sony is that they will not send you a refurbished console, all broken consoles are replaced with a brand new console within the one year period. That makes me laugh about my Opus 360 that replaced my Xenon...I still love my ps3, but they do need to extend the warranty on their 500 dollar console.

#11 tommarndt

tommarndt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

"demand that Sony Computer Entertainment of America's(Hereby known as SCEA) Playstation 3 Console(Hereby known as HARDWARE) adhere to the listed demands(Herby known as DEMANDS)."

so...
demand that Sony Computer Entertainment of America's Playstation 3 Console adhere to the listed demands.

So now the console is at fault and has to adhere to demands...

You're an idoit. 5 year warrenty on a blu-ray drive? That's like 1/2 the life span of blu-ray.
Everyone knows that Disc drives go out. It happens with use. Warranties cover technical defects in the systems. A drive that goes it after a year or 2 isn't from a defect. It's called normal wear and tear. Which by the way, if they did extend the warranty to 5 years, it still wouldn't cover a drive going out from normal wear and tear...

#12 icustom

icustom

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(fiveseven @ Jan 3 2009, 09:18 PM) View Post

Sony does repair consoles for free.

I bought a broken 40GB PS3 in the summer, and got it repaired for free.

I told them it got bricked after a firmware upgrade, and that my grandma bought this for me and that she is no longer with us.

Repair is fast to.

Takes: 3 Days Box from Sony to your door, 1 Day Shipping for PS3 from your house to SONY, 3 Days Refurb from Sony to your door.

Took me 2 weeks total to get a 40GB PS3 for $150.

1 week for it to come from the guy who sold it to me on Ebay, and 1 week for the repair process ohmy.gif!

#13 eramir

eramir

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:45 PM

I have 2 PS3, 1 for 2 years and the other for 3 months no problems. I recieved a 360 2 years ago for fathers day and have exchanged it 3 times.
If you want a 3 years warranty you need to buy your systems from Be$t Buy and let them deal with sending the system back while your playing with your new system.
YOUR DEMANDS ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD (I don't think you'll get anywhere with this but, good luck)

#14 bigsjohn99

bigsjohn99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

I agree that some items in this petition are a little out there (5 year warrenty), but Sony should do something about all these drives failing. At the very least lower the price to fix it from $150. Especially considering you can almost get a brand new 360 for that price. And also consider that most people paid $400+ for their PS3.
Enough people complained about the 360's RROD and E74 errors and it forced MS to do something about it, so maybe a petition isn't such a bad idea.
You're an idoit. 5 year warrenty on a blu-ray drive? That's like 1/2 the life span of blu-ray.
Everyone knows that Disc drives go out. It happens with use. Warranties cover technical defects in the systems. A drive that goes it after a year or 2 isn't from a defect. It's called normal wear and tear.

That's a little harsh, no? Are telling me you replace all your hardware that has a disc drive in it every year or 2. But, yeah, 5 years is pushing his luck.
I personally feel that for $500 I should have gotten more then a little over a year out of my PS3. Lesson learned though...always get the extended warrenty.

#15 garyopa

garyopa

X-S Genius

• Admin
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Embedded Hardware and Firmware
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:41 PM

From the amount of broken PS3 I have seen thruout various repair shops across the world.

The amount of ones that fail (The Blu-Ray drive) part is very high, but all within the 14 to 18 month
range, and all from owners which use them on a daily or more than average usage.

The blu-ray failing is just that "normal wear & year", which will never been covered by an factory
warranty, if you wish to have an longer warranty then invest in a store warranty at the time of purchase.

I recommend all new owners of PS3's to buy an extended warranty from the store, as the cost of replacing
the Blu-Ray is costly, and shorten after replacing the Blu-Ray you will get the YLOD before the replacement
lens dies.

Even M$ does not cover the "disk drive" pass the normal 1 year warranty, the 3 year warranty is just for
the internal hardware defects in their heatsink/soldering design, and now with the E74 (hdmi scaler), if the
x360 did not have an true defect problem (over 30% failed earlier (less than 1 year)) then the warranty
would still be at the normal 1 year part, which again let me remind you it will never be extended to cover
the "disk drive".

Even HDD makers on the PC recently dropped their normal 3 year warranty on newer HDD's to 1 year
after seeing that people are abusing their PC drives not giving it the right amount of cooling, etc.

All-tho I would like to see in the future if we are going to continue to use the "disc format" which I think
is short-lived, what with 32gb and 64gb SDcards and USBsticks (larger than most Blu-Ray games), that
makers of consoles find a way to have the "lens" being user-replaceable, light the light-blub on a back-
light HDTV or an projection device. - The "lens" is the same as an light-blub, there must be a way to
design a drive that can just be easier removed and inserted so after time due to normal wear and tear
or build of dirt or worse (second-hand smoke from cigs), the owner of the console can just buy an new
drive, unplug the old one, slide in the new one and then continue to enjoy his/her console and games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users