• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wrxwabbit

wrxwabbit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

I am adding a extra fan to my xbox but when i try to solder the wires under psu motherboard the solders on the pin won't melt or flow in order for the wires to connect. I have a 40watt soldering iron and its working fine and i tested it so what seem to be the problem??

thanks in advance

#2 option350z

option350z

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

Maybe your tip on your iron is not clean. That's why the solder might not be heating up. And to solder to the pins under the mobo, you have to hold the iron on there a little longer since it is lead free solder.

#3 wrxwabbit

wrxwabbit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(option350z @ Jan 10 2009, 06:22 AM) View Post

Maybe your tip on your iron is not clean. That's why the solder might not be heating up. And to solder to the pins under the mobo, you have to hold the iron on there a little longer since it is lead free solder.

the solder iron is brand new so its clean

#4 wrxwabbit

wrxwabbit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

I was holding my solder on the pin for 1 min and still won't melt . I kept cleaning the tip with the stainless brush and adding fresh solder on the tip before heating the pins. I have lead free solder and it melts it easy but still don't understand why i can't melt the solder on the pins.

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

Brand new doesn't mean tinned, clean and ready to use, just means new. wink.gif

Flow a little bit of new solder on to the solder joint and leave the iron on there a little longer. The 12v and Ground planes there are kinda heavy and the heat takes a little time to build up. The new solder you add will aslo help to transfer the heat from the iron tip to the solder joint and help to get it all to reflow.

#6 wrxwabbit

wrxwabbit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

thanks rdc, how long would it take to heat up? its not gonna take over one min to flow right? and leaving the solder iron tip on the pins to long could damage your motherboard?

Edited by wrxwabbit, 11 January 2009 - 12:00 AM.

#7 Vauxfan

Vauxfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:10 AM

I find its best to tin an iron when it's heating up, else it just drips off and doesnt stick to the tip.

#8 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE(wrxwabbit @ Jan 10 2009, 06:33 PM) View Post

thanks rdc, how long would it take to heat up? its not gonna take over one min to flow right? and leaving the solder iron tip on the pins to long could damage your motherboard?

If it's not reflowing before a minute then ya need a bigger boat. wink.gif If it's not reflowing the solder ya can leave it on there all day and it's not going to hurt anything, damage happens when ya have too much heat on a trace/pad that's already reflowed and ya continue to leave it on there anyway. Those joints there really do take a good bit of heat to reflow, and if your iron has a temperature control on it then turn it all the way up (just for this kinda thing) or toss another iron on there as well.

#9 wrxwabbit

wrxwabbit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Jan 10 2009, 02:10 PM) View Post

If it's not reflowing before a minute then ya need a bigger boat. wink.gif If it's not reflowing the solder ya can leave it on there all day and it's not going to hurt anything, damage happens when ya have too much heat on a trace/pad that's already reflowed and ya continue to leave it on there anyway. Those joints there really do take a good bit of heat to reflow, and if your iron has a temperature control on it then turn it all the way up (just for this kinda thing) or toss another iron on there as well.

ok i heat up the joints and applied fresh solder and it wont even melt, i heated it so long i felt the motherboard was hot. I have the pencil type tip for my iron and its not cutting it so what type of tip should i use?

Edited by wrxwabbit, 11 January 2009 - 02:34 AM.

#10 option350z

option350z

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:34 AM

Use the flat chisel tip. It has a wider surface area to heat up the pins.

#11 wrxwabbit

wrxwabbit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE(option350z @ Jan 10 2009, 04:10 PM) View Post

Use the flat chisel tip. It has a wider surface area to heat up the pins.

do you need clean the joints before soldering?

#12 Mholt215

Mholt215

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE(wrxwabbit @ Jan 10 2009, 09:52 PM) View Post

do you need clean the joints before soldering?

Joints of what? Just go get a bigger tip for your iron, and get some flux and some stuff to tin your iron if you dont already have it.. tin your iron, and then apply some flux to the pins, and then try to add solder once your iron is hot.

#13 Sic Of Life

Sic Of Life

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:SlipKnot
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:20 AM

hmm... this is weird. it only takes me less than 2 seconds to reflow the solder on the 12v and ground pins. i use a 30 watt pencil tip too. all i can say is get a better soldering iron and make sure you tin your tip properly

#14 Rustmonkey

Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:47 PM

Wow, I've soldered to those with a 15 watt before... are you sure the iron's working correctly?

#15 wrxwabbit

wrxwabbit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(Rustmonkey @ Jan 11 2009, 07:23 AM) View Post

Wow, I've soldered to those with a 15 watt before... are you sure the iron's working correctly?

Yes it is working i tested on a pc motherboard and easily melts the solder joints. I think the newer model motherboard is harder to solder? please correct me if am wrong.

Please recommend any good soldering iron and is cheap because i only gonna use it just once for my xbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users