Photo

Xbox 360 Freezing After Rrod Fix And X Clamp Replace!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 noel666

noel666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:34 AM

Hi there, i have a falcon xbox 360, i repaired it from rrod and did the x clam replacement.

However, it used to be good for few days, sometimes when im playing it freezes randomly, sometimes image freezes or it freezes but displays weird characters on screen.

When i try turning it back on it gives me rrod again. Then i leave it on for few mins overheating, let it cool down and it will work again for 1-2 days.

Personally i dont think is an overheating problem, since i have the mother board without the top case part so its mostly uncovered with a big fan over.

What do you guys think might be my problem?

#2 killamayne

killamayne

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:46 AM

Put it in the oven for 400 degrees for 4-5 mintues. Foil all the caps, leave only the GPU and CPU naked.

#3 noel666

noel666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE(killamayne @ Jan 11 2009, 01:22 AM) View Post

Put it in the oven for 400 degrees for 4-5 mintues. Foil all the caps, leave only the GPU and CPU naked.

I think it will just damage other parts...

#4 Lugnut

Lugnut

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:05 AM

putting in the oven for 4 or 5 minutes wont do anything. the most favorable fix is a reflow but you wont be able to do it in an oven and not blow the caps and possibly melt the connectors. heatgunning the board can be dangerous too, the board can easily warp from the uneven heat and cause more destruction.

#5 noel666

noel666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE(Lugnut @ Jan 11 2009, 01:41 AM) View Post

putting in the oven for 4 or 5 minutes wont do anything. the most favorable fix is a reflow but you wont be able to do it in an oven and not blow the caps and possibly melt the connectors. heatgunning the board can be dangerous too, the board can easily warp from the uneven heat and cause more destruction.

So i should cover everything with foil besides the gpu and cpu? just foil?

#6 blazekid87

blazekid87

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:39 AM

before you try this try what i did. i did the 3ROL fix and my xbox would not stop freezing. after putting it to the side for about a month i decided to experiment. I put a fan connected to my compter next to the cpu heatsink (like the core cooler v1). To My Surprise it worked like a charm...no more freezing even when i took the fan out. ive been running it for 24 hours now hoping it would die but nothing so far. I dont know if this helps but u can def try this b4 u stick it in the oven. lol

4got to mention i hotwired the stock fan to the dvd drive to keep it at 12v constant...keeps the heatsinks very cool but adds noise.

#7 noel666

noel666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE(blazekid87 @ Jan 11 2009, 02:15 AM) View Post

before you try this try what i did. i did the 3ROL fix and my xbox would not stop freezing. after putting it to the side for about a month i decided to experiment. I put a fan connected to my compter next to the cpu heatsink (like the core cooler v1). To My Surprise it worked like a charm...no more freezing even when i took the fan out. ive been running it for 24 hours now hoping it would die but nothing so far. I dont know if this helps but u can def try this b4 u stick it in the oven. lol

4got to mention i hotwired the stock fan to the dvd drive to keep it at 12v constant...keeps the heatsinks very cool but adds noise.

Thanks, i got no extra pc fans to add, ill just get a tradicional home man and put it very close to the MB since i have all the parts apart...

#8 killamayne

killamayne

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE(Lugnut @ Jan 10 2009, 04:41 PM) View Post

ok. No problem. But I repair 360's on the side, This is my method of doing it. I think its much better then the heatgun method which dosent have a certain temp of heat on both sides.

#9 noel666

noel666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

[img]
QUOTE(killamayne @ Jan 11 2009, 03:33 AM) View Post

ok. No problem. But I repair 360's on the side, This is my method of doing it. I think its much better then the heatgun method which dosent have a certain temp of heat on both sides.

I understand wat you say, with it in the oven you cant really prevent some parts from getting heat and might just blow up some caps. Any ways is it better for me to put everything back on the xbox or leave it like this?
IPB Image

Edited by noel666, 11 January 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#10 RROD

RROD

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:07 PM

Not sure about using the oven. That would be my LAST resort. Because even though you isolate the caps, I am sure the plastic parts will also melt (eject button, sync button for example). The heat gun would be a better choice, since your are able to isolate the heat, by covering up the parts that don't need to be heated (no melted buttons). Heatguns are cheap (about $20).

#11 Demonsc

Demonsc

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

I've got the exact same 360 with the exact same problem. Mine won't even start anymore... I've fixed a whole bunch of 360's and this is the only type i seem to have a problem with. huh.gif

#12 noel666

noel666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

I would like to try the core v1 cooler mod, but im afraid it doesnt fit the falcon model... does anyone knows?

#13 noel666

noel666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:09 AM

I spent the whole day testing out stuff, i figured out its not heat problems. It's related to the graphics chip. When the unit is cold and i turn it on it will freeze after few seconds. When i let it heat (on RROD) then shut down and turn on i can play for hours without freezing... So definitely i will have to try the heat gun method.

#14 Lugnut

Lugnut

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:25 AM

Just be careful with the heatgun method, i have not been able to fix any 0102 error xbox with this method that lasted longer than a month or so. And the rest of them i damaged because of the motherboard flex with uneven heating. Some heat them and the systems work, everything just expands and causes a temporary mechanical solder joint which will break again. sure thats great but they had not got the gpu hot enough to actually reflow the solder . Unless you heat the top and bottom at the same time to stop the flexing. It is hard to alternate with a heat gun and still manage to get the gpu hot enough to reflow without the board warping. I'm sure there are plenty of people that do manage to reflow the gpu without it warping the board. But percentages arent high. So if you end up trying it all i can tell ya is if you start to see the board warp even a tiny bit, stop immediatly.

#15 Vauxfan

Vauxfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE(RROD @ Jan 11 2009, 08:43 PM) View Post
Not sure about using the oven. That would be my LAST resort. Because even though you isolate the caps, I am sure the plastic parts will also melt (eject button, sync button for example). The heat gun would be a better choice, since your are able to isolate the heat, by covering up the parts that don't need to be heated (no melted buttons). Heatguns are cheap (about $20).

Nothing melts if the board is insulated properly, like someone else said. Cover it all just leaving the parts you want reflowed naked.

I have tried Heatgunning, it didn't work. Have done 2 Oven methods and they worked 1st time, are still running and dont freeze/get hot.
I'd reccomend it to anyone, im only speaking from experience and of course it's free wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users