5 replies to this topic

#1 h_2_o

h_2_o

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:04 AM

OK i have a 360 with a hitachi 3120l drive in it. the drive has something physically wrong with it. a plastic piece in it is broken or something the dumb thing only shuts about 70% of the way. anyway i'm getting a new drive and from what i've read i have 2 options, first off will both options really work and secondly which is actually the better option?

option1: take pcb out of old drive install in new drive and be happy and play games

option2: read key off old drive put key on new drive and be happy.

i don't really care about playing backups or anything like that just getting the drive going in the best way possible.

thanks

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:41 AM

As long as the replacement drive is a Hitachi just swap the boards and you'll be done, 6 screws and 4 plugs 1 clip and that's it.

#3 Neptune

Neptune

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

you could have fixed that really easily...just swap the boards now that you wasted your money

#4 h_2_o

h_2_o

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(Neptune @ Jan 11 2009, 07:22 AM) View Post

you could have fixed that really easily...just swap the boards now that you wasted your money

i'm curious what is the fix i still have the old drive if something happens again i wouldn't mind letting this one gather dust or messing around with it a little if i can fix it easily.

thanks for the help

#5 RROD

RROD

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE(h_2_o @ Jan 11 2009, 08:10 AM) View Post

i'm curious what is the fix i still have the old drive if something happens again i wouldn't mind letting this one gather dust or messing around with it a little if i can fix it easily.
thanks for the help

The fix was mentioned a couple posts above me. Basically open up both DVD drives (assuming both are compatible), then swap the boards. No need to dump keys. Easy fix!

biggrin.gif

#6 h_2_o

h_2_o

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(RROD @ Jan 11 2009, 09:12 AM) View Post

The fix was mentioned a couple posts above me. Basically open up both DVD drives (assuming both are compatible), then swap the boards. No need to dump keys. Easy fix!

biggrin.gif

sorry i misread what you were trying to say, i thought you meant there was a fix for the drive not going in all the way without needing any second drive.

thanks again guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users