• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

Microsoft: those who really care will find the Jasper 360s
Posted by XanTium | January 12 13:10 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From arstechnica.com:

I ask point blank: has there even been a discussion about simply putting the model type on the box, making it clear for consumers? "Yes," Greenberg [group product manager for the 360] tells me, and then pauses.

He rubs his face and looks up. "I have to be careful about how I answer this," Greenberg says. "We have focused really hard on improving the quality of our products, including the internal components, new types of things internally. Unfortunately we don't get and share the exact specifics of that... I know your site and your readers are much more sophisticated than the average public, but for the most part, we believe the type of consumer that's buying an Xbox today, they should be able to buy with confidence. They shouldn't, you know, get hung up on the internal components of the device.

"However, I think your readers will figure out the way to know the difference, and there are ways to figure it out, and they'll buy the one that they want. How's that for a... am I going to get in trouble here?" he asks the PR lady in the room.

Full Story: arstechnica.com

#2 highbomber

highbomber

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

Ha. Good Answer.

If the newer models were clearly labeled so, the old ones would never sell. And the average parent buying a console for their kid doesn't care aslong as it does what it is supposed to.

#3 liam82517

liam82517

X-S Young Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

loosely translates to: we dont want all the old shit left lying on the shelves biggrin.gif

#4 GOVATENT

GOVATENT

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

but even thinking as the average parent, if the consoles were still clearly labeled they would still by which ever one was the closest to the door of the store. I would assume average buyers think of it like this : Does it play games ? Yes . That's what they want, a machine that has the games they wish to play. Sure one might make more noise, user more power or die within the year but they don't know the difference in the models.

#5 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

I love the irony in his response:

but for the most part, we believe the type of consumer that's buying an Xbox today, they should be able to buy with confidence

The fact that the average consumer knows the 360 is unreliable is surely reason enough to NOT buy with confidence. Having 'Jasper' written in small letters on the outer box surely wouldn't be that much trouble now, would it? Those who care would spot it in an instant. Those who don't will just buy it anyway.

#6 El3M3nT

El3M3nT

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Jan 12 2009, 12:49 PM) View Post

I love the irony in his response:
The fact that the average consumer knows the 360 is unreliable is surely reason enough to NOT buy with confidence. Having 'Jasper' written in small letters on the outer box surely wouldn't be that much trouble now, would it? Those who care would spot it in an instant. Those who don't will just buy it anyway.

Having jasper on the bottom of the box would cause a stir and consumers would catch wind of it and remaining stock of falcons and others would not sell as well.

#7 MadEx

MadEx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

Good answer, indeed. pop.gif

#8 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(El3M3nT @ Jan 12 2009, 08:19 PM) View Post

Having jasper on the bottom of the box would cause a stir and consumers would catch wind of it and remaining stock of falcons and others would not sell as well.

I don't believe so - it's not like every prospective 360 owner comes to sites such as this and for the most part wouldn't care either way. The 3 Red Light error has a 3 year warranty, so it's not like they're not going to have any cover. You could argue that having the amperage on the sticker next to the power socket is a giveaway too. It's just not as easy to spot and definitely not conclusive.

#9 El3M3nT

El3M3nT

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Jan 12 2009, 01:43 PM) View Post

I don't believe so - it's not like every prospective 360 owner comes to sites such as this and for the most part wouldn't care either way. The 3 Red Light error has a 3 year warranty, so it's not like they're not going to have any cover. You could argue that having the amperage on the sticker next to the power socket is a giveaway too. It's just not as easy to spot and definitely not conclusive.

Hey, if you want one you'll find it smile.gif but as for the warranty yea its great but I lost my Xbox to RROD over Christmas break and I am still waiting for it. But that's a different issue

#10 crapoid685

crapoid685

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

Answer: Hey, the techies can buy the Jaspers. Everyone else can buy the old shit.

#11 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

It still remains to be seen if the Jaspers are going to perform more reliably. personally If I wanted to purchase now I would just buy. Can't be arsed with "Jasper Hunting" as it doesn't guarantee anything.

#12 ubiman

ubiman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

Any links to how to determine which once are Jasper?

#13 rd88elw

rd88elw

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

well I know of people that think the ELITES produce better graphics (and not HDMI related or not) so I could see how labelling them would get out of hand

#14 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jan 12 2009, 09:23 PM) View Post

Can't be arsed with "Jasper Hunting" as it doesn't guarantee anything.

You mean apart from a wasted afternoon, petrol, etc..... smile.gifsmile.gif

#15 kingatrock

kingatrock

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:13 PM

Meanwhile the e74 error finally killed my ethernet port on my 4th 360. Buy with confidence eh... Put "Jasper" on the box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users