6 replies to this topic

#1 larsenmash

larsenmash

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

Have an xbox 360 that the fans won't turn on at all. Tested the fans with a battery, the work. Can't see any visible scratched traces or anything wrong on the mobo. Any ideas?

#2 Just a Shadow

Just a Shadow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

Is the box booting up? Any error lights?

#3 woody21_1

woody21_1

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

does the 360 work?

if so it will be the regulator/mosfet thats blown, you could take power from elsewhere but the fan will stay on at a fixed voltage.

take a look at this guide by RDC, shows all the alternate power sources that are safe to use.
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=613160

if youre lucky someone will be able to point out which mosfet it is for the fan and you could just replace it...

hope that helps

#4 larsenmash

larsenmash

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(woody21_1 @ Jan 13 2009, 12:03 PM) View Post

does the 360 work?

if so it will be the regulator/mosfet thats blown, you could take power from elsewhere but the fan will stay on at a fixed voltage.

take a look at this guide by RDC, shows all the alternate power sources that are safe to use.
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=613160

if youre lucky someone will be able to point out which mosfet it is for the fan and you could just replace it...

hope that helps

the xbox boots up just fine with no error lights etc. The fan just doent come on. What is the mosfet, and is there any tuts on replacing? Im on my sidekick right now so searching is slow going but im going to check out that tut by rdc in the mean time. Thanks a lot for the help.

#5 larsenmash

larsenmash

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

I see what mosfet transistors are, but im stumped as to which one regulates the fans. And is this type of transistor something I could pick up at radio shack? Or would I be better off just tying into one of the points in rdcs tut? Does it need to be tied into a 5v? 12v? Etc. And what are the downsides to just tying straight into a spot on the mobo? if noise is the only prob, im okay with that.

#6 larsenmash

larsenmash

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:10 AM

Tied into a 12v spot on the mobo. sounds like a jet engine now, but apears to be running nice and cooooool. I like it. blink.gif

#7 larsenmash

larsenmash

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

after about an hour or so of halo the fan just shut off lol. I don't know what happened. I will open it and take a look tomorrow. I tied into the spot shown in this pic(got pic from same site I saw the 12v fan mod at)
IPB Image is this a good spot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users