Photo

How Do I Set Mameox To Be The Default Dash?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 boe_dye

boe_dye

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:07 AM

Somewhere along the lines if I were to setup XBMC to auto load, how would I accomplish this with MAMEoX?

I'm using EvolutionX dash at the moment in case that is relevant.

And if this topic has already been covered, then please supply the link to the TuT!

Thanks!

#2 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

You want to have Mameox boot instead of a dashboard?
thats simple, just copy mameox into your C: drive and rename the main mameox .xbe
to have the same name as your current dashboard's xbe has.

for example you turn on your xbox and it looks on your C: drive and sees evox.xbe
then delete evolutionx (or rename the xbe to something else) and rename mameox.xbe to evox.xbe

thats the easiest way to do it, but if you're more skilled you can change the boot names in your bios,
though if you're softmodded that would probably be annoying to do.

personally i have an X3 chip and just boot into the X3 bios and setup all the boot names right there.

#3 boe_dye

boe_dye

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

Yes, I want to have MAMEoX to boot instead of a dashboard. Turn on, Flubber, MAMEoX.

Well, I tried what you suggested, but to no avail. Which probably means that I wasn't looking in the correct place for the files, or placing the right files in the right place.

What i did was FTP the content of my MAMEoX folder over to the C drive. Root C to be specific. I renamed the dash.xbe file that was in there (which happened to be the actual M$ Dash), and of course when I turned everything on the M$ dash didn't work.

So I removed all of that from C, renamed the original dash to it's proper name, and everything worked again.

(I have everything turned off right now, so sorry for the vaguries)

Perhaps I should mention that I have soft modded xbox using krayzie's ndure exploit? I don't know if that helps at all.

Either way, when i go into c:\ there is nothing that I can identify as being for the evox dash.

I found the xbe for the M$ Dash there, but nothing for the evox dash.

Now in E: there was stuff for the evox dash, even an default.xbe file (I had this same trouble when i did it with XBMC on my other xbox).

For some reason there is a mental block for me to understand how to accomplish this feat.

So if it's not too much trouble, and you guys who have helped me out in previous posts have been incredible, could you please give me a bit more step by step? If there is any other information I can supply, just let me know!

Thanks again!!!

#4 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:02 AM

are you really sure you want to do that? I guess to each their own and im def not flaming you just the first request i have ever seen for that. smile.gif

XT-

#5 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

if you used krazies ndure then look for a folder called either dash or dashboard on the E:/ drive the files in that folder are your dash files just remove them and put the mameox files in there and you should be set. Just make sure you have a eeprom backup before you continue

#6 contradict

contradict

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

E:\dash or E:\dashboard if you make a shortcut pointing to mameox and place it in this location then you will achieve the desired effect.

Ndure also has a dualboot option you can activate. Using this you can boot into whatever you like using eject and into xbmc if you switch it on normally. check out the softmod section for more info on that...i have it setup to boot into linux on eject.

you can change the files on c as much as u like and achieve nothing as its protected with a softmod. welll with krayzies it is anyway. besides that is a silly place to put it.

you can use the shortcut tool that comes with xbmc to create a shortcut to mameox.

#7 boe_dye

boe_dye

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE(XTecuterX73 @ Jan 22 2009, 11:38 AM) View Post

are you really sure you want to do that? I guess to each their own and im def not flaming you just the first request i have ever seen for that. smile.gif

XT-

No flame conveyed! Actually I guess seeing as how it is becoming apparent that this is an odd thing to do, I will explain why!

This particular xbox is actually going into an Arcade box, buttons and all! They guy whom I am doing this for owns a game store, and wants a MAME (well he actually had a MAME before someone screwed it all up). So I thought that it would be a good idea to just have it go right to the MAME and nothing else.

Now I have a question for you, you asked if I really wanted to do that.

Is there something I should know before I continue any further in this crusade?

Perhaps it would be better to edit the evox.ini file to just have MAMEoX appear on the menu?

Thanks again for all the replies everyone else! Like my other thread of upgrading the hard drive I will keep everyone posted once i make some headway!

#8 contradict

contradict

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

if i was you i would create a dual boot on that xbox so normal power button boots to mame and eject boots to a dashboard...i'd advise this to allow maintenance...otherwise you will lose the ability to ftp to your xbox otherwise without a boot disk or splinter cell disc...

personally i think it's harmless there's no right or wrong way to do these things as long as you know how to fix it if it screws up...

#9 boe_dye

boe_dye

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:24 AM

dual boot? Hmmm i never thought of doing that! I also never considered the loss of ftp functionality either, i think i like that better then just making it a default dash and then never being able to fix any thing. How would i go about this? Setting up a dual boot between mameox and linux?

#10 contradict

contradict

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:01 AM

if you upgrade your softmod to krayzies ndure 1.1 and then use the extras to setup dual boot...

it's really easy...

Then you go to your e:\dashboard

and create a shortcut named default.xbe that points to mamedox....

then create another folder in e:\dashboard and call that folder altdash and in that folder create another shortcut that points to linux...or whatever else it is you want to link to....i personally wouldn't link to linux as my linux occasionally wont boot for some reason...maybe cos i fiddle alot...but a true dashboard would be more stable and you can have linux as an app...

So u end up with it looking like this

E:\dashboard\altdash\default.xbe
E:\dashboard\default.xbe

altdash is your eject boot and the other is your normal boot.

If you look in the softmod forum you will find step by step tutorials on this....

I have setup and sold many xboxes in this way with xbmc on power on and linux on eject and set it up so people can torrent to the f drive and surf the net....it's ideal especially in your situation..

#11 boe_dye

boe_dye

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:45 PM

you know, I was thinking: While dual booting is a good idea, and I like it, it can be somewhat limiting for this purpose.

The reason I'm thinking that is cause in addition to the MAMEoX emu, i was also thinking of using NES emu as well.

So what I'm thinking is instead of dual booting and all that, and instead of making MAMEoX as my default dash or even a dual boot, how could i edit the evox.ini file to just have 2 entries in the root menu?

Have it say like MAMEoX, NEStopia (or whatever the NES emu is), POWER OFF, REBOOT?

That way I don't lose functionality for FTPing, maintenance is a cinch, and I could keep a evox.ini.bak file in there so that in case I needed to do anything it would be easily accessible.

How would I write that into the .ini file? Everything that I have found leans more to sub-menus underneath a heading.

#12 xyteam

xyteam

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

how about something like this.
http://forums.xbox-s...mode=linearplus
i dont know enough about it.i think you can run off the hdd might be worth a try just experimenting with maybe.

#13 boe_dye

boe_dye

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:40 AM

Hey guys!

As with my other thread, I want to thank all of you for your ideas and suggestions regarding this project!

It was a big help and of course a great learning experience.

I wanted to let you all know that I have accomplished the task at hand, and in a manner that I did not expect!

A special thanks to contradict (again!) for suggesting the dual boot method, which inspired me to simply add the emulators onto they root menu of evox.ini!

I asked a question regarding "how to", and in my research I came up with the answer:

Basically what I did was, is I made a copy of evox.ini, called it evox.ini.bak and left it in the dash folder.

I then edited the one I wanted to use. Pretty much under "Section 'Root'", i simply added

Item "MAMEoX", "E:\emus\MAMEoX_v0.84.b3_binary\default.xbe"
Item "Nintendo", "E:\emus\NESemu\default.xbe"

Erased everything else that I didn't want, and there it is! I used this TuT as a guide:

http://vidgms4me.tri...Guide.html#mitm

So basically that just about wraps up all my projects regarding xbox modding, for now at least!

Thanks again to EVERYONE on this forum, you guys are simply awesome! The knowledge and patience here is top notch, and I thank you all again!!!!

Consider this thread closed, and problem solved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users