21 replies to this topic

#16 grantshoarma

grantshoarma

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

OK, I'm a total electronics noob.

These contact points on the xbox controller's PCB appear to already have solder on them, basically a tiny silver dot covering the copper trace underneath. Do I need to scrape these off? Desolder them? Or is this silver blob my actual contact point that I make the new solder joint with?

#17 Garrett.19

Garrett.19

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE(grantshoarma @ Apr 4 2012, 10:57 PM)  

OK, I'm a total electronics noob.

These contact points on the xbox controller's PCB appear to already have solder on them, basically a tiny silver dot covering the copper trace underneath. Do I need to scrape these off? Desolder them? Or is this silver blob my actual contact point that I make the new solder joint with?

Just solder right to the blob. The only points that I had to scrape to find the copper trace underneath were the the dpad traces. All the other buttons already have a solder point like the silver blob you are talking about and the R1 and L1 have a button to solder to.

#18 grantshoarma

grantshoarma

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE(grantshoarma @ Apr 3 2012, 10:05 PM)  

I think there's some confusion between HD15 and DB15/DE15 VGA cables. I believe there are true DB15 VGA cables with 15 wires that are being phased out but some are also being sold as DB15 have the 12 cables (3RGB +9) instead. I think. Anyway I found 10ft DB25 cables for a buck each, so no worries smile.gif

So I clipped these cables today and found out they only had 6 wires in them uhh.gif

Does anyone know a type of DB25 or DB15 cable that definitely has 13 or more wires in them?

Edited by grantshoarma, 08 April 2012 - 02:12 AM.

#19 Garrett.19

Garrett.19

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

I get all my DB15 and DB25 cables from Amazon. Its no $0.97 deal but it is like 4 to 5 bucks for 10 feet. I always get mine from "Cables to go" on Amazon like This Page.

#20 grantshoarma

grantshoarma

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

Thanks Garrett. I just wanted to clarify in case anyone else searches for the same thing. DB15 and DB25 cables are OK, as long as they are listed as "straight through" cables, which means a pin-to-pin connection. There are a lot of VGA/DB15/HD15 and DB25/serial/printer "extension" cables out there, but if they don't mention "straight through/thru" (most don't), they tend to send everything to a common ground to save $$ on wire rather than have the correct amount of pin-to-pin conductors in the cable. Found these Belkins for a little cheaper than the Cables to Go (and I prefer black). Of course, as I wish I had done, you should just use a multimeter on each M/F pin pair to make sure they are each connected before you take a wire cutter to the cable!

#21 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

Don't buy cheap cables - you will get cheap results. smile.gif

I think these will work out well for you, although they are beige and not black:

http://www.cablewhol.../10d2-01210.htm

Good luck! Its nice to see new people discovering this mod. biggrin.gif

#22 cyhill99

cyhill99

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

once you get the duke controller modded, the other controllers are simple.

I just finished my 4th controller

atari 2600
sega master system
snes
nes
are all done

this is one of the coolest mods ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users