11 replies to this topic

#1 ceborame

ceborame

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

I would like to have XBMC as my dash, however after trying unsuccessfully for the last couple of hours i need some help.

Virtually every guide mentions editing within E/dash , I do not have this folder !

I have within E an evoxdash.xbe and evox.ini, this is because i used AID to change it to evox BUT my dvd rom really struggles to read the disk and i prefer to ftp

Does anybody know how to make Xbmc my default dash

Many thanks

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

If you don't have E:\Dash\ then you didn't use Kingroach!

This is the safest way. Install XBMC as an application (in \Apps\XBMC\) and get it working as an application from your current dash.

Install the XBMC shortcut (SHORTCUT by TEAM XBMC) and its cfg file in a temporary directory, and edit the config file to point to your XBMC installation. Make sure that it launches XBMC when you select it.

Then the difficult bit - you have to find the location and name of the current dashboard. As you have an older softmod it might be in C:\ or E:\. The easiest way is to find the config file for your dash (if your dash is Evox the it's evox.ini), make a small edit to the Menu, then reboot - when you find the right one the menu will have changed.

Finally, you copy the xbmc shortcut and config file to your current dashboard location, and give it and its config file the same name as your current dashboard (obviously with different extensions). When you reboot you'll have XBMC as your dash - but if it goes wrong just boot with Frostys / AID and have another go. So long as you don't mess with C:\xboxdash.xbe you'll be fine!!! smile.gif

#3 ceborame

ceborame

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

Many thanks for your reply

Before i go through everything you have said here is the tut i used to softmod

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=496263

Also it clearly states the following -

Kingroach's NDURE 3.0 (Available at Xbins, in /XBOX/exploits/_Packages/Kingroachs Installer/)

Many thanks

Edited by ceborame, 19 January 2009 - 04:34 PM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

Yes, but if you'd used that tutorial your softmod dash would have been in E:\Dash\ - that's where the Kingroach softmod puts the dash! smile.gif

If you used Kingroach originally I suspect that when you used AID to change your dash you also changed the softmod - although I'm not sure how! Not that it matters - just find your current dash, and once you have XBMC working replace your current dash with the XBMC shortcut.

#5 ceborame

ceborame

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

I think that something is amiss here . I have dumped another dvd rom into this xbox and booted AID, however one thing I noticed when I initially installed EVOX is that the front button FRAG's - but the xbox works ok.

Now , no matter what i do with AID (format, install a different dash etc) it will not remove the evox dash and that one always boots.

I'm looking at having a go with AID such as unmount virtual c drive or even remove softmod, but i'm not sure if AID will boot afterwards to allow me to install another softmod.

Many thanks

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

Sounds as though your original Kingroach softod is intact but you're booting the rescue dash, presumably because AID has messed up your main dash. Take your original Kingroach file set (that you burned onto xboxhdm) and copy the E:\Dash\ folder to E:\Dash on your E partition - if it works when you reboot you should be back where you started, then you can install the xbmc shortcut in E:\Dash\ using the method in my earlier post.

If you don't have your original Kingroach files just create a new set, and copy E:\Dash\ across.

....and don't use AID for updating. It's designed for chipped and SID softmodded Xboxes, not for Kingroach softmods!

Edited by Heimdall, 19 January 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#7 ceborame

ceborame

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

well i have made a right mess of it now ! wish i had left it all alone now !

getting error code 14 and a proper frag

wot can I do ?

I do have another xbox that is chipped and working well, is there a route to putting the bricked xbox h/d into the chipped xbox ??

thanks

#8 FyRazer

FyRazer

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

I've just successfully set XBMC as my standarddashboard by the way you mentioned here:

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jan 19 2009, 05:14 PM) View Post

If you don't have E:\Dash\ then you didn't use Kingroach!

This is the safest way. Install XBMC as an application (in \Apps\XBMC\) and get it working as an application from your current dash.

Install the XBMC shortcut (SHORTCUT by TEAM XBMC) and its cfg file in a temporary directory, and edit the config file to point to your XBMC installation. Make sure that it launches XBMC when you select it.

Then the difficult bit - you have to find the location and name of the current dashboard. As you have an older softmod it might be in C:\ or E:\. The easiest way is to find the config file for your dash (if your dash is Evox the it's evox.ini), make a small edit to the Menu, then reboot - when you find the right one the menu will have changed.

Finally, you copy the xbmc shortcut and config file to your current dashboard location, and give it and its config file the same name as your current dashboard (obviously with different extensions). When you reboot you'll have XBMC as your dash - but if it goes wrong just boot with Frostys / AID and have another go. So long as you don't mess with C:\xboxdash.xbe you'll be fine!!! smile.gif

Btw., i renamed the default.xbe (which normally would start UnleashX) to default_BACKUP.xbe ...

Well, when i would like to start UnleashX, i have to choose this file (default_BACKUP.xbe) in E:/dash.
That's way too complicated tongue.gif
Is there any way i can start UnleashX as an app from inside the programs-menu of XBMC?
Please, could you explain how to do that? smile.gif

Edited by FyRazer, 16 September 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#9 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

Grab the files that make up UnleashX and dump them in their own folder, say "E:\Apps\UnleashX". Rename the executable back to just "default.xbe". Add the Apps folder as a Programs source within XBMC, and UnleashX will then be accessible there (along with any other programs you stick in your Apps folder).

If you want even faster access, you can hit the white button over the entry in the Programs menu for the option to add it to your Favourites list. How you access that list depends on your skin (click in the right thumbstick under PMIII, press Start with MC360, etc).

#10 FyRazer

FyRazer

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Sep 17 2010, 09:35 AM) View Post

Grab the files that make up UnleashX and dump them in their own folder, say "E:\Apps\UnleashX". Rename the executable back to just "default.xbe". Add the Apps folder as a Programs source within XBMC, and UnleashX will then be accessible there (along with any other programs you stick in your Apps folder).

Thanks wink.gif

What do you mean with "Grab the files that make up UnleashX"? Shall i grab the UnleashX-files from the hdd (E:/dash) or "fresh" files from another source (Slayer's disc for example)? And which files exactly do i have to copy?
And what about the original MS Dashboard? Right now i can start it in 2 ways:

1. by choosing "MS Dashboard" from inside the UnleashX-menu and

2. by powering on the Xbox with the Eject-button.

Will those 2 options still work after copying the UnleashX-files into another folder? huh.gif

Edited by FyRazer, 19 September 2010 - 04:52 PM.

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

Slayers doesn't have the latest version of UnleashX. Have a look for UnleashX_0_39_0528A.rar, in the usual places, or via Google.

Nothing you put in E:\Apps\ will have the slightest effect on how your Xbox boots or on your ability to launch MS Dash.

Edited by Heimdall, 19 September 2010 - 05:07 PM.

#12 FyRazer

FyRazer

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

Ok, i will try that - thanks smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users