6 replies to this topic

#1 mystiquesbs

mystiquesbs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:28 AM

I have got two wireless modems both with DD-WRT firmware on them. I have set one to AP and the other to client. I have no protection on them.

Now when I go to play H@lo and I host a game from the AP router XBOX and then go and look for the game on the other xbox I can see it. But then when I go to connect it comes up with an error saying something about my NAT being open but the settings aren't correct.

I have tried and tried to fiddle with the settings but nothing is working. I'm really at wits end and was just wondering if anyone had any info on this.

I have tried rainbow six vegas 2 aswell. I can see the game but it just won't let me join.

Cheers.

#2 manuforti1314

manuforti1314

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(mystiquesbs @ Jan 21 2009, 10:04 AM) View Post

I have got two wireless modems both with DD-WRT firmware on them. I have set one to AP and the other to client. I have no protection on them.

Now when I go to play H@lo and I host a game from the AP router XBOX and then go and look for the game on the other xbox I can see it. But then when I go to connect it comes up with an error saying something about my NAT being open but the settings aren't correct.

I have tried and tried to fiddle with the settings but nothing is working. I'm really at wits end and was just wondering if anyone had any info on this.

I have tried rainbow six vegas 2 aswell. I can see the game but it just won't let me join.

Cheers.

I had the same issues. I could connect to Live no issues. Stream DivX from a PC. Do everything but play on system link.

I was using a WRT54G with the latest rev of dd-wrt.

Have you tried the dd-wrt forums? I searched but could not find anyone with the problem, that was late last year.

My solution was to sell the WRT on Ebay and buy the MS adapter. Naturally that worked fine.

Before I was a 360 owned I tried the same with XBOX1, same problem. I tested with a long CAT5 cable and everything worked fine. As soon as I introduced dd-wrt it didn't work. I'd see games on the other console but could not join.

I'd be happy to try out a few things if you have any ideas. I still use dd-wrt for XBMC upstairs.

#3 manuforti1314

manuforti1314

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

Just had another search on dd-wrt forums and found this,

http://www.dd-wrt.co...pic.php?t=28473

seems to solve the problem for these guys.

#4 mystiquesbs

mystiquesbs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

Hey mate,

Thanks a million for finding out that info for me, I really appreciate it.

I will try it out when I get a spare moment and let you know how it goes.

Once again your a legend for taking the time to find that smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif THANK YOU!

#5 Fangs McWolf

Fangs McWolf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(mystiquesbs @ Jan 21 2009, 05:04 AM) View Post

Cheers.

First, they're routers, not modems. tongue.gif

In the post, the use of WDS is mentioned. I have tried this myself (just yesterday in fact) and it's rather deceptively easy to set up.

Using the names of Host and Client for the routers (Host is the primary router, Client is the wireless router connecting to the XBOX) and PC and Laptop (PC connected directly to Host and Laptop connected directly to Client).
  1. On both routers, make sure you have the latest version installed and disable any DHCP services on Client.
  2. Hook Client up to Laptop and make sure that Laptop has no connection to the LAN at all. In other words, disable all connections except for the one connecting directly to Client. Manually set the IP address of the Laptop (example 192.168.1.10) and then browse the Client.
  3. On each router, go to the Wireless/Basic page, ensure that both routers are set to the same channel. When I tried to have Client set to automatic, thinking it would find the Host channel, I had problems. It didn't quite work out that way.
  4. Go to the Wireless/Security page and make sure that the security is either disabled or exactly duplicated on both routers.
  5. Now on both, go to Wireless/WDS. Each will have a MAC address listed at the top of the page. Find an available entry (should be the first one) and change the option from "Disabled" to "LAN" and then copy the MAC address from one router to the other. (IE, copy the MAC shown on the Host to the Client and vise-versa).
  6. Try to browse from the Laptop to the Host and from the PC to the Client. If either or both fail, power cycle the routers. If it still isn't working, let me know and I will help you figure it out.

Once you have the WDS setup, connect the XBOX to it and go to the Network settings. If the IP address starts with a 169, then try manually setting the IP address and Subnet Mask. Then test the connection to a computer (to see if the network is working). Once you have a successful LAN connection, change the IP and DNS back to Automatic (if it was Automatic before) and then test the XBOX Live connection.

Works for me and haven't had a problem yet.

#6 mystiquesbs

mystiquesbs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:10 AM

Yay. It worked. WDS is the way to go!

Here's the process if anyone else is in the same situation:

1. Reset both routers back to factory settings.
2. I set my first routers IP to 196.128.1.1
3. I set my second routers IP to 196.128.1.2
4. In the WDS settings of the first router I changed one of the drop downs to LAN from disable and entered the second routers wireless MAC address.
5. I then went into the second routers WDS settings page and did the same thing but put the first routers mac address into the settings.

This is all i did and it worked excellently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Guy's

#7 Cheezpie

Cheezpie

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(mystiquesbs @ Jan 24 2009, 07:10 AM) View Post

Yay. It worked. WDS is the way to go!

Here's the process if anyone else is in the same situation:

1. Reset both routers back to factory settings.
2. I set my first routers IP to 196.128.1.1
3. I set my second routers IP to 196.128.1.2
4. In the WDS settings of the first router I changed one of the drop downs to LAN from disable and entered the second routers wireless MAC address.
5. I then went into the second routers WDS settings page and did the same thing but put the first routers mac address into the settings.

This is all i did and it worked excellently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Guy's

Is this all that needs doing to get it to work? How do I connect the Routers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users