• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 petemcfc

petemcfc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Man City, Music,women, drink ,class a b and c's.<br /> What do you expect? I live near Rochdale.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

Hi, I recently bought a chipped xbox to act as a media centre.
Using XBMC The chip is a SST etc. Iassume it is an Alladin? If correct which type.
Also.
"Detected Bios:Unknown.Please add MD5 from xbmc.log to Bios ID"
Is this a problem?
Any help please.

#2 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

the unknown bios thing is not a problem

take a pic of the chip so we can look at it and tell what kind it is

#3 petemcfc

petemcfc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Man City, Music,women, drink ,class a b and c's.<br /> What do you expect? I live near Rochdale.

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

I would if i could find out how sad.gif

#4 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

what how to take a picture?

#5 Joes2Silly

Joes2Silly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

Basically just open the xbox, remove the hard drive and DVD drive, and take a picture of the modchip attached to the motherboard. It should be fairly clear what is the modchip wink.gif

#6 petemcfc

petemcfc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

No no Im not that thick, I've taken a few photos but I carn't find a link to upload them.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

Have a look at this table - at the bottom of each column there are links to pictures of the chip.

#8 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,751 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(petemcfc @ Jan 30 2009, 04:49 AM) View Post

No no Im not that thick, I've taken a few photos but I carn't find a link to upload them.

try photobucket.com or imageshack.us

#9 petemcfc

petemcfc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

Thanks all, looking at the images its an Aladdin XT but there is a difference,alongside the larger chip there is a plug-in block and there is a pinboard below the contrast slot.
the chip is soldered to the board using 3 wires another wire is soldered from the nvidia chip to another chip nearby.
I've downloaded the Aladdin info but looking at it the plug-in block and pinboard is missing, , the photos I've taken (camera phone) are not very clear.I hope my description helps.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

Does it look like this?

Other than wanting to know which chip it is for general interest, what are you trying to do?

#11 petemcfc

petemcfc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

Thats the one,
two questions regarding it.
What are the male and female pinboards used for,and in referance to my origional question ,
"Detected Bios:Unknown.Please add MD5 from xbmc.log to Bios ID"
Is this a problem?
To answer your question Heimdall,Im pretty new to this game,I am building a media centre primarily for storing music and I want to set the console up so that it uses its full potential.

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

Not sure what the connectors are for - but the chips clearly work with nothing connected to them, as your Xbox and the one in the picture prove. smile.gif

The error message isn't a problem. XBMC (and Evox) calculate the MD5 checksum of your BIOS and compare it with a list (with Evox it's in evox.ini, with XBMC it's in \XBMC\system\SystemInfo\BiosIDs.ini). The list is just that - a list of entries that look like:

(1MB) Xecuter3 3294 v1-5=FA05AD25E4582E1A3ABD4A658D6A09EF
(256) iND-BiOS 5003.67 FC=E2EB8E7D03E02A6A52BF4245DF7EDB82
etc....

Have a look at BiosIDs.ini - there are hundreds of entries, and XBMC displays the name that corresponds to the MD5 value. The error message simply means that your BIOS isn't in the list - whoever flashed it has probably edited it first (different colours, dash location, fan speed), and it's nothing to worry about. The only slight problem is that it's difficult to tell which BIOS it is!

Other than bugs if your BIOS is really old, the only thing that will force you to upgrade the BIOS is if you want to install a large disk, or change from having an F and G partition to having an F partition only. For large disk support you need a BIOS that supports LBA48 disk addressing. The easiest way to check is to get hold of XBPartitioner 1.1 and run it (but don't make any changes!!!) - if your BIOS doesn't have LBA48 support you will get an error message like this.

If you do need LBA48 support flashing a new BIOS to the Aladdin is really easy. Get hold of Evox from the usual places and install it as an application. Put the BIOS you want in \Evox\BIOS\, load Evox, and go to System Utils - Flash BIOS. Scroll down to your BIOS, and press A to flash! Your choice of BIOS is limited to 256k BIOSes because of the size of the chip. If your Xbox is a 1.6 use Evox M8plus_16, if it is a 1.5 or below use iND-BIOS.5003, X2.4981 or Evox M8plus.

Otherwise, if your Xbox is working then just leave the BIOS alone!

#13 petemcfc

petemcfc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

Thanks alot that was very helpful.

#14 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

The connector is to plug the chip into the LPC. The one in the picture is simply quick soldered instead.
I would be very careful using evox to flash an Aladdin chip. When it works it is fine but it is very common for it to hang half way through leaving you needing a programmer to flash the SST out of it's socket.
Look for Eurasia, XFlash V2 . Eurasia is long winded but it sure is reliable.
Takes me back to the old days this.

#15 petemcfc

petemcfc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

As everything is working ok I have no intentions of messing about with it,I have aquired a collection bits and pieces including an x-tender kit which at somepoint I might as well use,when that day arrives will I then have to fiddle with the bios?
I have taken some time reading up on this chip and am I correct in assuming that this chip will not support a LCD display?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users