10 replies to this topic

#1 se7en444

se7en444

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:15 AM

I have a soft modded xbox

I used the Evox install disk to "Prepare HD" It installed EvoX with some other apps. Before those apps would work, I had to "Fix attributes".

All I really want to do is use XBMC as the default dashboard. I've got a shortcut made and ready to install it but I can NOT find where Evox put itself.

My C drive is empty, My E drive has all the normal Folders and files. and I can FTP to my xbox just fine.

Its not in the "Dashboard" folder on E: either.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:47 AM

How did you softmod your Xbox? Not the name of the game you used, the name of the softmod installer.

Which Evox Install Disk?

I had to "Fix attributes"
What do you mean?

#3 se7en444

se7en444

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:39 AM

For starters, Im pretty much a dumbass noob so I really only know about 60% of what Im doing.

The steps I took were this:
Using xboxHDM, Slayers evox install, and ndure 3.1, I created my hard drive.

When I started up the xbox, it went to xunleash dashboard. I couldnt connect with the FTP to add XBMC, and the MS dash wasnt there anymore.

Using a downloaded Evox +3938 Install disk / Boot disk, I clicked "Prepare HD". It installed evox, and apps.

The Evox disk is labeled "EvolutionX Administrator 2002"

When I tried to open a app through Evox, it would just return to Evox main page, so when I booted using the same Evox disk, there was an option to "Fix Attributes" I clicked it and it said "Fixing the attributes of C: and E:" I have no idea what it did but it fixed it where I could open apps.

I was told to use Ndure and slayer and xboxHDM to make a HD, which I did, but I have NO idea if I was suppose to do something else with ndure once I opened up unleash.

Like I said, Im a dumbass, but all I want is XBMC to load and to be able to have a large F:

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:00 AM

Excellent. Apart from using the installation disc (they aren't designed for softmods) what you have done is fine. Kingroach 3.1 is the latest softmod, and its dash is E:\Dash\default.xbe.

It sounds as though you already have XBMC installed as an app (hopefully a recent T3CH version), and have tested the shortcut from another location. If that's the case then to install it as your default dashboard you simply rename the shortcut to default.xbe, rename the config file to default.cfg, then copy both of them into E:\Dash\. Take a backup of the current dash before you do that in case you want to change back at any time.

The reason your C was empty is because Kingroach (like all good recent softmods) forces you to have a shadow C (to protect the real C where the softmod files are so you can't accidentally screw up your softmod), and it's empty when you first start. All you have to do is ftp the stock C (from Slayers) onto your C drive, and you're sorted.

#5 se7en444

se7en444

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:10 AM

Thanks for your reply. I got all the way to booting up my new hard drive to Unleash. But I couldnt change the settings in the network window so I couldnt FTP to the box. Even when I used a evox boot disk and changed the network settings in there, and saved, I still couldnt connect. (Probably because its a CD and I cant save the settings through a CD). It would be awesome to know what I was suppose to do at this step. Do I need to load some app? It didnt come with XBMC or any other app. When I clicked MS dashboard, nothing happened. It just restarted unleash.

Thats the reason I used the EVOX cd I had. Because I couldnt find anything to do once I started the xbox with new drive.

You gone through the new Ndure softmod by chance?

And where can I try this new XBMC your talking about? Ive used XBMC pimped for a few years and love it. But Im always open for something new. Maybe it will be better.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:15 AM

Hmmmm. Just to confirm, when you installed the disk you built with Kingroach it booted UnleashX (as it should), but you couldn't change the network config?

#7 se7en444

se7en444

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:06 AM

yeah. I had never used Unleash before but I went to settings then to network. It showed me everything but I couldnt figure out how to change anything. I could put my (For lack of a better word) "cursor" on it but could not select it to change it. Like it was just showing me the settings, not allowing me to change them.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:09 AM

So which dash do you have now?

#9 se7en444

se7en444

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:32 AM

I used the a Evox administr8or 2002 disk to install Evox. Problem is, I cant find where its installed on the drive so I can replace the "default.xbe" file to boot with XBMC.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:44 AM

I'm now a bit confused about the current state of your Xbox.....

Kingroach has its dash in E:\Dash\default.xbe. If that doesn't exist then I'm not sure how your Xbox is booting. I can't find a copy of "Evox administr8or 2002 disc" anywhere, so I can't work out what it might have done.

Are you sure you don't have E:\Dash\default.xbe?

#11 se7en444

se7en444

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:54 AM

I probably confusing everyone by mentioning ndure mod. I never could get past unleashX going that route.

When I used the Evox CD, it formatted everything. Now, I have a folder "Dashboard" on my E drive. I also have files called "Evox.ini" and "Evoxdash.xbe" right ON TOP of my E drive. in other words, not in a folder.

I have 2 xboxs with different softmods on them. One is a older mod inwhich all I had to do to make XBMC my default dash was create a "default.xbe" shortcut and copy it over the "default.xbe" file in the evox dashboard folder.

When I try to do the same thing on the new softmod, it still goes to Evox. I figure that I havent found the ligit dashboard file yet.

(Both xbox's used an older softmod. I had to update the softmod on one of them when I updated the harddrive to a 250GB)

Hopefully I havent confused the hell out of you.

So now I just want to make XBMC me default dashboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users