• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:34 AM

Hey guys,
Just a quick question for you techies.

Basically, my situation is that I ran out of wired ports on my wireless router so I have added an old 10/100 linksys router to it as a switch to add extra wired ports.

Now, this linksys router never worked with my xbox360, I guess it wasnt live supported but my new dlink dir 655 works on live great!

My question is...if I have the linksys just working as a switch for expansion ports (dhcp is off) and the dlink is doing all the work will my 360 work on LIVE? I dont want to get lots of lag or something if I am bouncing between routers.

Technically, I could leave the 360 in 1 of the 4 dlink ports but they are gigabit lan and I would rather use the gigabit lan ports for my NAS devices and gigabit pcs.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:41 AM

It will be fine. The network ports on a wireless router are all switched, and the traffic will never go anywhere near the routing engine in the Linksys router. I use a Netgear DG834 to do roughly the same job, and the extra latency is < 1ms.

#3 ampedXR

ampedXR

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:46 AM

thanks for the info, I tried it out and it worked well. Didnt notice any lag in NHL09 so I think I got it smile.gif

One question though, now that my 360 isnt on gigabit, will transcode360 and tversity stream HD content slower? Or does the 360 not have gigabit ethernet anyways? Just curious as to how this will effect my streaming of multimedia?

#4 xbox360multiplayergames

xbox360multiplayergames

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

The xbox only has a 100mbit network so it shouldn't make any different in that way. It may make pings a couple of ms slower but that is all, I doubt you will really notice it at all smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users