#1 bulge2

bulge2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

hi

i have built a few cabinets now that use a xbox instead of a PC to create a quality arcade cabinet, and i have a slightly different vertical monitor cab that i want to convert as well.

the problem im having is that although i can play vertical games on coinops ignite and FBA (havent tested) the main rom selection screen is 90 degrees out. I would love for this cab to have most emulators that have vert games but i not sure how far i can go with everything on its side !

1. Is i possible to rotate text pictures etc for a new coinops skin/FBA etc etc

2. are there any other emulators that have a rotate function.

ive posted this on 1emu but not getting much help

ta guys

IPB Image

#2 xyteam

xyteam

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

the emu you need andi forgot to tell you about was mameox128plus(20060505).you can enable screen rotation in the menu.once activated it will rotate the games menu and the controls soyou can use it on a vert cab.
this is your best emu to use for your needs and it has the same compatibility as coinops ignite.
hell you can even make it a boot straight into mame128 instead of having a dashboard.neogeo,cps1,cps2........they work fine.

Edited by xyteam, 11 February 2009 - 04:14 PM.

#3 bulge2

bulge2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

great thats exactly what i needed to hear

thanks buddy

#4 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

Did BritneysPairs ever figure out how to make the second player on alternating acrcade games use the second player controller without flipping the screen?

I was able to get about 100-200 games working that way, but it ended up breaking some other stuff and more complicated games like Pyros (Wardner) I couldn't get to flip everything (the sprites would stay upright, but the background would flip for the 2nd player, for example)

I always hated that when I take a trip down memory lane and play Pyros with my bro we gotta keep throwing the controller back and forth when we die.

This is a topic that I can't believe I never found any questions on before I was looking into how to alter the source to get this to work. I even got yelled at on a MAME coding forum because it seems like they don't like what we do here because we're tampering with M$ stuff. (I was warned with a ban, just for asking the question and being specific enough to mention that it was a Box I was looking to do this on..... Read the forum rules before posting kiddies)

I know BP said he would look into it. Just wondering if anything happened with that.

Later,
~Rx

#5 xyteam

xyteam

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

there was someone who posted about that very problem a couple of weeks ago and playing around with ignite just now it seems like it hasnt been added/fixed.

#6 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

I don't envy BP the task of doing it. Whatever he does, won't be easy. So many different games ran on so many different boards that it just might be an impossible task without a complete rewrite of source. If you want to change all the configs on SNES, you can do it with one menu selection. Doing that for MAME is even harder than making configs for Intellivision or any of the computer emus. At least in those emus the only variables are which keys do what, in MAME it's a hodge-podge of different companies using different hardware/software standards and it's just amazing that MAME can play them all together in the first place.

Hopefully he can do it one day.

~Rx

#7 BritneysPAIRS

BritneysPAIRS

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:34 PM

RX what you require is very easy to do I would say. I can set cabnet mode to allways enbled and for it to not rotate the game 180 degrees .... to fix this properly ill need your testing also I guess I could add in a if its in, rotate 180degrees make player 2 controls = player 1. Anyway you know where to discuss this. This isnt the place but it is actually very easy to code

Cheers

Edited by BritneysPAIRS, 14 February 2009 - 11:35 PM.

#8 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

Cool BP. I know where to get a hold of you for this. I'm really busy with all of the Xtras stuff now, but I do want to get back to MAME pretty soon. When I'm ready to do some testing I'll come by and let you know and we'll try it out.

Thanks for the reply,
~Rx

#9 bulge2

bulge2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

im going to compile a list of working vertical games and one that dont flip etc over the next couple of days. ive got about 320 at the moment but im going to have a lookie in more depth if i get more time.

and thanks for having a lookie BP and Rx

#10 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

Explain more in depth to me what you mean by this bulge. I'd hate to see you do any work that has already been done before. I know there is a BP list out there somewhere on google and I also have a spreadsheet of working games. Perhaps you could just add the notes that you want to add to lists that are already made.

Edited by ressurectionx, 16 February 2009 - 09:39 PM.

#11 bulge2

bulge2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

ive got the vertical list from an earlier version of mame and have (still picking) hand picked the ones i think that are worth going into a vertical build. also theres a couple of games that flip wrong like ikari warriors etc, so im going to list them so BP can have a look

ive also got a recent version of mame v0.128 to see if theres any vertical goodies that im going to run through romlister.

not much work but if youve got a ready list id like to see it

#12 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

I'll take a look and see if I can find my list. I haven't looked at it in almost a year, so I'd have to dig it up. I know if you ask on the other forums, somebody will tell you where BP's Google list is.

It should make your documentation a lot easier, and tie it in to an existing project. You could just use a column for your own documentation. Just make sure it's cool with him first cool.gif

~Rx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users