9 replies to this topic

#1 aj23

aj23

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:40 AM

I was desoldering some parts of my motherboard, and after a lot of trouble I finally got it to work today. I did a few pins succesfully, but then noticed that my board turned black around a few of the pins after desoldering!!! I used braid to do this, with a 60w iron (since my 40w wasn't powerful enough). DID I damage the board? Well I would think I did, but maybe not to the point that I need to get another one for my project. BTW, it's an xbox 360 motherboard.

#2 PilknDunn

PilknDunn

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Modding 360s, and Hanging out with friends...
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:44 AM

Is it kinda like a brown residue? If so, its from the braid, it does that when it gets used.. I think it is something to help the solder melt.. But, without pics I cant really tell you.. But, if it works then its fine..

#3 aj23

aj23

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE(PilknDunn @ Feb 13 2009, 12:20 AM) View Post

Is it kinda like a brown residue? If so, its from the braid, it does that when it gets used.. I think it is something to help the solder melt.. But, without pics I cant really tell you.. But, if it works then its fine..

Alright, I'll try and get some pics up, but with my Digi Cam it's going to be hard to get a good shot.

#4 aj23

aj23

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

Well I took pics, but I cannot find my USB cable dry.gif . It does appear that it is some type of residue (but it looks more black to me than brown), but how would I go about removing it to be sure. I tried taking some off with my finger to see, and it did come off a little bit. I just want to make sure that this board doesn't get damaged, because I don't have that kind of cash to throw around (if this one breaks, I will be getting another, but I'd rather not have to do that).

Edited by aj23, 13 February 2009 - 07:07 PM.

#5 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

You could try a cotton swab soaked in rubbing alchohol.

#6 ausmods

ausmods

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Interests:Electrical engineering, computers, gaming, motorbikes, mountain biking
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:13 PM

It sounds like youve burnt the board... Or the soldering braid you used has flux on it, to allow the solder to 'grab' onto it.

Using a 60w iron is a tad too much though... When your desoldering things, I find its best to actually put more solder onto the connection to get the existing solder to melt a bit easier. After that just use the braid to get the excess solder off... It takes practice. I normally use a 20w iron, but I use my 40w and get it gets the parts out in a fraction of the time.

Ill wait until i see some pics before i jump to conclusions..

#7 aj23

aj23

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:14 AM

Phew, it's just the brown residue from flux (though it was really dark at first). Any good solutions to get this off the board? Rubbing alcohol doesn't work to good. What should I use along with the solution though, cotton just makes a bigger mess.

#8 Rory18

Rory18

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:35 AM

try acetone (nail polish remover) works for me.

#9 ausmods

ausmods

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Interests:Electrical engineering, computers, gaming, motorbikes, mountain biking
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:54 AM

I usually just gently scratch it off using a small flathead screwdriver... But acetone works too

#10 Mholt215

Mholt215

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE(ausmods @ Feb 14 2009, 01:30 AM) View Post

I usually just gently scratch it off using a small flathead screwdriver... But acetone works too

That sounds like a bad idea lol

I just take some alcohol with a toothbrush (one i use just for this) and scrub it off. Makes the board all shiny clean smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users