Photo

Can I Add A Spker And Mic To Controller?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rrg

rrg

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:59 AM

OK I have a small mic and small speaker that is the size of a quarter. Actually it's from the broken DS.

I did a search on all controller related links. nothing.

Does anyone know where the speaker and mic points are on the controller.
I did some continuity test to see how the OEM headset is wired to the jack but it does not make sense to me. I do not mind that the volume will not be available. More than likely it will need to be on full volume just to hear it.
The mute I can add a on/off push small button to the mic wires.

thanks in advance.

#2 Millerboy3

Millerboy3

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE(rrg @ Feb 14 2009, 07:35 PM) View Post

OK I have a small mic and small speaker that is the size of a quarter. Actually it's from the broken DS.

I did a search on all controller related links. nothing.

Does anyone know where the speaker and mic points are on the controller.
I did some continuity test to see how the OEM headset is wired to the jack but it does not make sense to me. I do not mind that the volume will not be available. More than likely it will need to be on full volume just to hear it.
The mute I can add a on/off push small button to the mic wires.

thanks in advance.

i would look to RDC for that type of info... but what you can do is do a search for the mic layout (wired 360 mic) and it will have that info also

#3 rrg

rrg

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:38 AM

Got it.
Thanks.

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:24 AM

It's not going to work if ya just solder it up to the correct spots. You'll have to either first remove the headset connector from the board or put a plug in the jack. The reason is the headset connector is a 'closed circuit' type, think of it like a switch, and this is how the controller 'knows' a headset is plugged in or not. If that switch is closed it knows there's no headset plugged in, so if ya were to just solder up your mic/speaker it wouldn't work. That switch needs to be open for the controller to use the headset jack, so ya can either put a plug in it to open it, like a normal headset does, or just remove the connector from the board.

This kind of thing will also keep the controller from working with a wireless headset as it will always believe a wired one is being used, that switch has to be closed for it to work with a wireless one so you'd have to install a switch to mimic the one in the headset connector if ya ever wanted to go from your setup to a wireless headset and then back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users