Photo

My Backups Used To Work, Now They Don't?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ole jason

ole jason

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:02 AM

To clarify... all my old backups still work but anything that I burn now doesn't work.

Pioneer 111d
Verbatim +R-DL (I also have memorex)
IMGBURN - layer break set to 1913760

So what's changed?

The burner is in a new pc... XP pro w/ SP2.

The only other difference is I'm ripping the iso's on one pc and transferring them to the other pc to burn. I can load the iso in magic iso so it appears to be 'complete'.

I get no errors burning but the xbox will read the disc kind of loud "whirrrrrrrr click.......click..whirrrrrrrrrrr..." and then tell me to clean the disc and reboot the system.

All of my old backups and retail games work fine. It's only discs that I burn now that won't work.

Any idea? It's very strange... I'm not sure what else I can try

#2 Millerboy3

Millerboy3

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE(ole jason @ Feb 15 2009, 06:38 PM) View Post

To clarify... all my old backups still work but anything that I burn now doesn't work.

Pioneer 111d
Verbatim +R-DL (I also have memorex)
IMGBURN - layer break set to 1913760

So what's changed?

The burner is in a new pc... XP pro w/ SP2.

The only other difference is I'm ripping the iso's on one pc and transferring them to the other pc to burn. I can load the iso in magic iso so it appears to be 'complete'.

I get no errors burning but the xbox will read the disc kind of loud "whirrrrrrrr click.......click..whirrrrrrrrrrr..." and then tell me to clean the disc and reboot the system.

All of my old backups and retail games work fine. It's only discs that I burn now that won't work.

Any idea? It's very strange... I'm not sure what else I can try

sounds like your laser is going out. especially if it is clicking... not supposed to do that. you have a samsung drive?

#3 GameTech

GameTech

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:00 AM

Is this a new batch of discs? What all have you changed from the old ones you burnt to how you are burning the newer ones.

#4 ole jason

ole jason

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE(Millerboy3 @ Feb 16 2009, 01:11 AM) View Post

sounds like your laser is going out. especially if it is clicking... not supposed to do that. you have a samsung drive?

Yeah it's a samsung. The weird this is I have NO problems with my retail games or old backups. It has only started since I started making backups on the new pc.

QUOTE(GameTech @ Feb 16 2009, 01:36 AM) View Post

Is this a new batch of discs? What all have you changed from the old ones you burnt to how you are burning the newer ones.

Yeah it's a new spindle... actually two new spindles. I had some memorex laying around. When they wouldn't work I just figured it was a media issue so I got some verbatim (same thing I've always used with 100% burns) but they don't work either.

The burner is in a different pc than last time, that's really the only difference. All my settings, media, and xbox firmware are the same.

This one has me stumped... I can only assume it's a problem with the burner but it acts perfectly fine. All the data is on the disc and I can open it in magic iso.

#5 GameTech

GameTech

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:15 AM

If you have a friends 360 to test your burns on that would really narrow the problem down. If they work on another 360 then I would say for sure that its your 360s dvd drive.

#6 ole jason

ole jason

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE(GameTech @ Feb 16 2009, 01:51 AM) View Post

If you have a friends 360 to test your burns on that would really narrow the problem down. If they work on another 360 then I would say for sure that its your 360s dvd drive.

Yeah I have someone mailing me a disc, should be here later this week. Kinda frustrating

#7 GameTech

GameTech

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:32 AM

The part that has me puzzled is that you can still play your old backups. Seem to me if it was a problem with your drive it would be messing up on all discs.

#8 ole jason

ole jason

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE(GameTech @ Feb 16 2009, 02:08 AM) View Post

The part that has me puzzled is that you can still play your old backups. Seem to me if it was a problem with your drive it would be messing up on all discs.

Same here... it has to be something with the dvd burner but I don't understand what it could be

#9 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:14 AM

check in device manager that "DMA if available" is selected for your IDE channel that the burner is on.

also, might as well upgrade to SP3 just to be up to date, no?

could be the discs as well since you say you have no issues with the other discs.

#10 ole jason

ole jason

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:16 AM

I pulled the burner and put it back in my main pc. The .iso was ripped on this pc... I can open it in magic iso and look at the files.

I still get an error saying the 360 can't read the disc.

It's bizarre because I even used my old copy of dvd decryptor w/ it's settings I have used to backup 15+ games. I know the .ISO isn't bad because I sent it to a friend... he is mailing me the disc to see if it works on my system. That will tell me definitively if the problem is with the 360 (doubtful) or my hardware.

I don't understand how a burner can suddenly start producing bad burns out of the blue but I guess it's possible? The burn isn't technically 'bad' because I can put it in the pc and open up the image and look at it. Also, the 360 knows it is a game... it doesn't give the 'unreadable' error at the bottom of the screen like if you put in a wii game or something. It's like it just can't completely read the disc.

Something I forgot to ask...

Would updating the FW on the 360 possibly help? I've never updated it just because I've never had to.

The games I'm backing up just came out, have they changed anything recently?

I'm going to dig out an old ISO and see if I can burn it

#11 wantin2mod

wantin2mod

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

Updating the Firmware on your 360 is ALWAYS a good idea. It's good to have the new firmware improvements than to not.

Sounds like something changed when you swapped the burner to a different PC. That or your new PC has different configurations on your burning program. Pioneer burners have never given me a difficult time.

In review, I'm guessing that's it either a hardware conflict in the new PC or a software config change that has the newly burned iso's giving you problems.

If you have a way to test the new burned iso's on another 360, that would be informative to solve the problem.

#12 ole jason

ole jason

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:49 AM

QUOTE(wantin2mod @ Feb 16 2009, 05:29 AM) View Post

Updating the Firmware on your 360 is ALWAYS a good idea. It's good to have the new firmware improvements than to not.

Sounds like something changed when you swapped the burner to a different PC. That or your new PC has different configurations on your burning program. Pioneer burners have never given me a difficult time.

In review, I'm guessing that's it either a hardware conflict in the new PC or a software config change that has the newly burned iso's giving you problems.

If you have a way to test the new burned iso's on another 360, that would be informative to solve the problem.

I pulled the drive and tried it in another pc... same thing. I don't know how/why but I'm thinking the burner is the problem. A friend is mailing me a burn he did of the ISO so I guess I'll have the answer when it arrives. He used the same media and software so the only variable is really the burner and the xbox itself.

#13 wantin2mod

wantin2mod

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(ole jason @ Feb 15 2009, 10:25 PM) View Post

I pulled the drive and tried it in another pc... same thing. I don't know how/why but I'm thinking the burner is the problem. A friend is mailing me a burn he did of the ISO so I guess I'll have the answer when it arrives. He used the same media and software so the only variable is really the burner and the xbox itself.

Very probable. Please post your findings so one way or another, we can get you up and running!

(btw; my guess its your burner since your previously burned backups are working in your 360)

#14 grapper

grapper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

Can it be a media problem? You say you have two new spindles? I heard some of the newer Verbatims (manufactured in India IIRC) don't work correctly with some Xboxes.

#15 ole jason

ole jason

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(grapper @ Feb 18 2009, 03:50 PM) View Post

Can it be a media problem? You say you have two new spindles? I heard some of the newer Verbatims (manufactured in India IIRC) don't work correctly with some Xboxes.

I guess it's possible but unlikely imo. I have discs that are exactly the same that work.

***UPDATE***

Got the disc in the mail today that my friend made. It works perfectly. Same type of verbatim that I just bought. Really only two possibilities...

1) An error in software settings. This is unlikely because I've quadruple checked all settings and even used an old version of DVD decryptor (w/ old settings confirmed to work) to no avail.

2) An issue with the burner. This one confuses me. I can burn music cd's, wii games, movies, etc. with no problem at all. Is something else used when the burner has to burn on a dual layer disc? Is it even possible for it to burn regular discs okay but not dual layers?

It just seems unlikely to me because I feel like the discs should be showing up corrupt or some such.

I don't know... I need a new burner anyway so I'll probably just order one. Any recommendations on a SATA burner? I'm a little out of the loop as to what kind of hardware to get

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users