X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

Hello everyone,

Quite a few of the Xtras are out now. It's hard for me to keep track of suggestions people have. There haven't been many errors reported at all now, but I might forget when somebody tells me something if I don't put it in my own personal lists. These threads are designed to allow people to interact with the project and leave their suggestions relating to the topic.

I'm pretty much 100% sure you won't find any errors with any videos. But maybe there is a video you don't like and would like to update it. Post about either here...

(I will update this thread with emulators that will record video. Until then, check the thread in my signature for these links)

Thanks for your support!!!

~Rx

Edited by ressurectionx, 16 February 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#2 pCeSlAyEr

pCeSlAyEr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Interests:Old games......... yea....
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

This isn't really an issue with any particular video, but more of a suggestion (or something along those lines).

Firstly, I am an owner of multiple Xbox's and due to the varying hard drive sizes for each model, overly large video packs become less attractive... especially when using multiple emulators.

Also I know some people have huge hard drives in their xbox's and size isn't an issue, but there are a ton that do not have that luxury.

So here it goes...

I think a standard should be set for the encoding of all of the video files.

Perhaps a size limitation set dependant on the native resolution of the machine should be implemented.

I know quality is one concern, but for multiple reasons I see the filesize as being more of a concern.

If the original intent of these video files is for a thumbnail video preview as your scrolling through the lists and is not intended for full screen playback, I don't really feel a 40sec clip should be drasticly larger than the original rom itself.

I propose the bitrates for video stay somewhere between 256 - 768kbps and the filesize under 3MB. That should be sufficient quality and filesize.

I hope MM? chimes in with some feedback or suggestions...

Also wanted to say this is an awesome project and I will help as much as I can along the way.

Edited by pCeSlAyEr, 17 February 2009 - 10:50 PM.

#3 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestion pCeSlAyEr. This is exactly the types of discussions I would like to see in these threads.

The current size/standard you see has kind of evolved and become what the project is aimed at. There was quite a bit of discussion of the standardization of the videos, back as far as August of last year, and how also to best match the videos which were created originally by emumovies.

For me, this is perfect, because I plan on having large hard drives in the XBoxes I put this stuff on. I actually make it a point to add my own configs to Gilles' dynamic skins which maximize both the video and artwork to their largest practical sizes and still have a good looking skin. On my 51" TV, the video is between a 27" and 32" screen or larger. Plus we've been in discussion to add an "enhanced favorites" mode which will allow you to scroll through the games with a full screen backdrop of the video playing. The title of the game would appear on a plaque (or something cool like an animation of fire or something). Obviously, thumbnail sized videos wouldn't work out too well here.

However, I'm always looking for ways to make this project the most customizable for everyone and would like to host a much smaller alternative set on my thread if somebody were to make the conversions and upload them. I don't imagine it would be a whole lot of work. Somebody would just have to alter the batch I would assume, and then run the videos through them and re-upload them.

I can't think of an idea now, but I would imagine that people who aren't concerned with the file sizes might even be able to find a use for the "thumbnail size" videos on top of the established standard sets.

Later,
~Rx

Edited by ressurectionx, 17 February 2009 - 11:18 PM.

#4 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

Hey Rx,
I think that is is great idea. I believe pCeSlAyEr would be fully qualified to do such a thing.

Hey pCeSlAyEr.
I have to agree with Rx on this and for all these same reasons. I am the kind of guy that may even sacrifice more space for quality (if I could). But, I know that a kind of "standard" was already established by those who came before me. I fully understand people's concern and want to conserve space.
Having an alternate set would be the best thing in this situation. I would enjoy (anyone interested) to further discus their opinions and views here, so we can grab a further consensus.

Thanks

Edited by Mega Man (?), 17 February 2009 - 11:38 PM.

#5 pCeSlAyEr

pCeSlAyEr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:50 PM

So these videos are meant to be played in the background and the rom list overlayed...

Ok that clears up my question on the matter of purpose.

Ok, more questions.

Do the current versions of the Dynamic skins already support this feature?

I'm curious to see how this would look with videos running in the range that I suggested.

Looking at the current releases of videos, the bitrates vary between 320 - 1117kbs or so(atleast in the Genesis Xtras) and the file sizes range from 950KB - 14MB+... (I just want to see how these will look overlayed)

I'm also curious of how the performance will be effected using larger videos with HD resolutions(considering the skin is optimized for 480p).

*EDIT*

@Mega Man (?)
I completely understand the reasoning for the higher bitrate now that I know the original intent of these video files. And I agree if you are going fill screen you need a much higher bitrate.

I kinda had a different idea in mind when I first heard of videos and they dynamic skins.

Also I'd be happy to help re-encoding the videos to a smaller size once the packs are finalized.

I've edited this post like 10x now... o_O

Edited by pCeSlAyEr, 18 February 2009 - 12:08 AM.

#6 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

So these videos are meant to be played in the background and the rom list overlayed...

Ok that clears up my question on the matter of purpose.

Actually, this is just an idea thrown around right now. Madmab actually has a menu space reserved for it, but it hasn't come to be yet. I know I posted a skin conversion around here somewhere which maximizes the video and artwork like I was talking about, but I don't know where it is now. I'll have to make new ones at some point. Then you could test this, long before the emu beta is released.

I do happen to make the video previews huge regardless even without this feature finished. My romlist is only three games long at the bottom of the screen and the videos/artwork take up most of the rest of it between the romlist and the banner up-top.

Looking at the current releases of videos, the bitrates vary between 320 - 1117kbs or so(atleast in the Genesis Xtras) and the file sizes range from 950KB - 14MB+... (I just want to see how these will look overlayed)

Don't know much about any of that really. I just give thumbs up or thumbs down on the videos pretty much.

I'm also curious of how the performance will be effected using larger videos with HD resolutions(considering the skin is optimized for 480p).

I know we went over this when the project began with SNES. Sotu wanted to make HUGE videos and it was discovered and agreed upon by all that there was no inherent benefit to having them that large. We tried to find a happy medium for best use of space. The video suffer greatly from the law of diminishing returns when made much larger than what we have.

Also I'd be happy to help re-encoding the videos to a smaller size once the packs are finalized.

That would be great. There are quite a few systems already done that could be converted if you guys come up with the standard for the "thumbnail" vids.

Later,
~Rx

#7 pCeSlAyEr

pCeSlAyEr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:27 AM

ok.. I re-read all of the posts, and I think thumbnail is the wrong word to use... haha...

I don't mean thumbnail... I mean displayed as a preview(like the boxart is) either native or stretched...

Most of our videos fall into the realm of around 320x240 or a varient based on platform. The only part that is not consistant is the bitrate and thus inturn the quality and file size.

If we can lock down a good bitrate for all future encodes we will get consistant results with more appealing file sizes.

Edited by pCeSlAyEr, 18 February 2009 - 03:30 AM.

#8 pCeSlAyEr

pCeSlAyEr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:06 AM

ok here is a sample of my latest test encode

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S43JB7M4

256x240 native TG16
Multi Pass VBR 512-768kbps @ 29.99fps
2.07MB 0:38 sec legth

compared to one of my original encode samples

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LR48KBF4

256x240 native TG16
Multi Pass VBR 256-512kbps @ 29.99fps
1.75MB 0:39 sec legth

Edited by pCeSlAyEr, 18 February 2009 - 04:16 AM.

#9 pCeSlAyEr

pCeSlAyEr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:27 AM

Dracula X Translation Patch Test Encode

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3UDP46GS

For saving space:
512VBR.wmv
256x240 native TG16
Multi Pass VBR 256-512kbps @ 29.99fps
6.97MB
Length 3:15

Original Batch File:
1MBCBR.wmv
256x240 native TG16
Multi Pass CBR 1.04Mbps @ 29.99fps
24.5MB

What I propose we standardize to:
768VBR.wmv
256x240 native TG16
Multi Pass VBR 512-768kbps @ 29.99fps
11MB

Edited by pCeSlAyEr, 18 February 2009 - 06:41 AM.

#10 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:13 AM

Hey pCeSlAyEr.
Just got a chance to check this out, sorry, I have been out of town for a few days.

This looks good.
I would like to have other people check this out and make some options.

Thanks for all the effort man.

#11 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

Hey pCeSlAyEr
Just wondering how's everything going for you with the TG-16 vids?

I am going to be using your batch for my new videos.

I want to try and use MESS to make some SMS videos (If I can figure it out tongue.gif ) and then move on to the Gameboy ones. cool.gif

Edited by Mega Man (?), 20 March 2009 - 10:31 AM.

#12 BlueSlingShot

BlueSlingShot

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE(Mega Man (?) @ Mar 20 2009, 11:04 AM) View Post

Hey pCeSlAyEr
Just wondering how's everything going for you with the TG-16 vids?

I am going to be using your batch for my new videos.

I want to try and use MESS to make some SMS videos (If I can figure it out tongue.gif ) and then move on to the Gameboy ones. cool.gif

Good luck dude doing that with MESS. I'd tried using MESS to make some emu preview vids for my xbox emus.

MESS is so damn picky with it's bios's i couldn't get any emu to run besides the 2600.

I had to use youtube vids of mainframe games i wanted to represent each emu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users