gimpydingo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

Has anyone had good success in running flash content smoothly? Hulu loads up and runs the vid in full screen, but the frame rate is somewhere around 15 - 20 fps, more towards the 20. It gets a bit choppy. I have read up on this and see it's a problem. I have sound which is good. I am using Firefox 2 with the "fast" flash version.

Does Firefox 3 with flash 10 run any better?

Or any other way to optimise?

#2 gimpydingo

gimpydingo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

I can't find a way to close this topic - so let's call it closed.

I'll just run XBMC to stream web/flash content.

#3 donofrio

donofrio

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

Actually this is a good topic, when I've attempted to get flash9 to work with my kids games the sound is like the chipmonks.....so close I wonder if flash10 is the answer?

#4 stevewal

stevewal

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:conservastion, rock climbing, modding and gaming, gardening.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

hi,
I've tryed my best to solve this.

Go to the upgrades menu.
Install: firefox gtk2; gtk2; flahsplayer 9; and alsa
When flash 9 is installing, choose flash 9.0.0.48 when prompted. If you've already installed, then click to install again (it won'nt download again, it will just give you the choice between 9.0.0.152 and 9.0.0.48) and choose 9.0.0.48

Flashplayer 9.0.0.48 is the only one that is fast enough for video on the xbox. All the other versions will look slow and choppy. But beware there are some security isues with this version, so it is probably best to use 9.0.0.152 for any app that needs access to your files etc.

flash 10 does not work for xdsl or dsl (or the new tiny core linux). The reason for this is the default glibc version is <2.4. This cannot be easily replaced.

Firefox 3 works in xdsl/dsl up to version 3.0.0.4. However firefox 2 is faster when running flash etc.

Ofcourse, mplayer is faster, which is what xmbc uses to play flash content. You can play youtube vids and vids from a few other sites using mplayer, by installing firefox greasemonkey extension and looking in the greasepot site for a suitable mplayer flash script.

can someone please stick this
Thanks,
Steve.

Edited by stevewal, 20 February 2009 - 05:03 PM.

#5 blatny93

blatny93

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

Actually, you should perhaps try opera9.64 - I know one can't use firefox3.5 but luckily opera9.64 can be downloaded as a stand alone browser and works great. Infact I have it on my nounted hard drive ( hda53 ) and because it has it's own self contained plug in system it has the most up to date flash player. The only limitation then becomes ram capacity which makes it a tad to get started. But remember most phone, even smart ones had less capacity, until very recently, and could cope perfectly well with you tube. But if you want to be sure of seeing youtube etc with out choppiness go to mobitubia.net where you can download in mpeg, flash, 3g etc. Good luck.

#6 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

flash 10 is also way to slow on a xbox i run gentoox and i can tell you flash 10 not even youtube in low qualty is possible. i haven't tried gnash yet. its less stable but supposed to be alot faster then flash 10.gnash is the opensource flash plugin for linux btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users