XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:39 AM

Hey madmab, i have a small question for you, i was reading through blargg's ntsc libraries and came across this for nes, http://www.slack.net.../libs/ntsc.html, apparently it gives the look like it did when playing a nes on tv. According to his documentation, this is in mednafen for pc but do you know if it was included in the xbox port. It looks sweet, you can see the differences and they make a world of a difference. Seems like it includes all kinds of options in it too and things you can tweak.

Anyways just thought i would ask, apparently he has done it for nes, super nes and master system.

XT-

Edited by XTecuterX73, 19 February 2009 - 08:43 AM.

#2 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

I thought you fixed that with the pallet man!!!! jester.gif

Just messin' with ya.

Is this even closer to the original? I can't believe that I'm so anal about some parts of this project, but color pallets (unless rediculsously off) never even hit my radar. I noticed the difference between your pallet and the original one, but it's been like 10 years since I've played a NES game on an actual console/TV that I can't tell if the color is off from the original. Hell.... there's been tearing in games that I didn't notice cause my mind must have been half asleep at the wheel during the middle of an eight hour, 500 game testing binge.

And to think........ I used to love art and aced advanced placement art in HS.....

What happened to my eye for that stuff?

Glad we got you around to get the finer points of the emulation experience tweaked. Hope it works out.

Later,
~Rx

#3 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Feb 20 2009, 11:01 AM) View Post

I thought you fixed that with the pallet man!!!! jester.gif

Just messin' with ya.

Is this even closer to the original? I can't believe that I'm so anal about some parts of this project, but color pallets (unless rediculsously off) never even hit my radar. I noticed the difference between your pallet and the original one, but it's been like 10 years since I've played a NES game on an actual console/TV that I can't tell if the color is off from the original. Hell.... there's been tearing in games that I didn't notice cause my mind must have been half asleep at the wheel during the middle of an eight hour, 500 game testing binge.

And to think........ I used to love art and aced advanced placement art in HS.....

What happened to my eye for that stuff?

Glad we got you around to get the finer points of the emulation experience tweaked. Hope it works out.

Later,
~Rx

hey rx this is not color palette nor a color palette fix, this is a blargg's ntsc filter to give the image that of a real nes hooked up, it's signal processing emulation. Read through it and see just what how much of a diff it makes. I can't tell if this is in mednafenx-nes or not but it's got loads of options that i don't see in mednafenx nes. LIke i said this has nothing to do with the color palette, this is signal processing, the code is already on his site, it can easily be downloaded and implemented in any nes emulator, the code is in C++.

It says on his site that this is in mednafen, but it might not be in mednafenx-nes. Hope this makes a little more sense. biggrin.gif

XT-

#4 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:43 AM

It might already part of the current mednafenX. I have not had a chance to check and see if it is and if X-port made it one of the options you can set for each game.

#5 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE(madmab @ Feb 20 2009, 07:19 PM) View Post

It might already part of the current mednafenX. I have not had a chance to check and see if it is and if X-port made it one of the options you can set for each game.

thanks for the answer madmab, i hope it is implemented and just the options aren't set cause it has options like "pixelation" or something and others, when you look at the pics on blaargs site you can see a BIG difference in the side by side comparisons, it has the darker tint scanline look and man it is bad ass.

I figured i'd ask you since you have done some stuff with the xport nes source. Blarrg has a download for it in C++ if it isn't but it says it is implemented in mednafen, but it's hard to tell if it is mednafenx-nes. Thanks for responding madmab, please do let me know when you find out. pop.gif

XT-

#6 FrankMorris

FrankMorris

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Nice found X73. Yeah, you're right, it's not part of the current port/build, but it appears original Mednafen Team sources.
It would be great to see it on Xbox someday.

Just checked 'game specific settings' by pressing X on game select screen (just to see if it's in) but no luck there.

I think, we really don't need to adjust all those low-level parameters. Maybe it's enough, if we only can get ability to change the video filter to: NTSC.

Like Nestopia have:
IPB Image

Great to see you're back Madmab.
I know you are fighting some memory issues right now, but did you see my "bug" list?

#7 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

http://blargg.fileav...tsc-vs-palette/

all the diff right there, looks good and gives the nes games on xbox that darker defined look that just a palette alone can not fix. While the palette has been fixed and corrected. This is def the next closer step to the real thing. It would be great to have those options to tweak and such. The easy and cool part is the code has been written already, it can be downloaded and implemented straight into mednafanex-nes xbox.

This would just about be as good as it can get. pop.gif

look how sexy things are with those options frank: sharpness+1, resolution, artifacts, color bleed, fringing and decoder matrix. It looks amazing!
XT-

Edited by XTecuterX73, 22 February 2009 - 12:07 AM.

#8 FrankMorris

FrankMorris

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:35 AM

After enabling it is just like real thing, agree with that.

I'm glad, that you bring up this thing.
Trimming all those values like you said, would be great bonus feature.

Afaik windows FakeNES is the only emulator, where those values can be adjusted straight by the gui, so if madmab decide to add it, Xbox would be probably 2nd (user-friendly) way to configure blargg's NTSC library. (On any system?)

Now talking NES emus, but I believe it's same on SNES and SMS.

Btw. very nice shade on the jeep engine bonnet! (Snake's Revenge) happy.gif

#9 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE(FrankMorris @ Feb 22 2009, 05:11 AM) View Post

After enabling it is just like real thing, agree with that.

I'm glad, that you bring up this thing.
Trimming all those values like you said, would be great bonus feature.

Afaik windows FakeNES is the only emulator, where those values can be adjusted straight by the gui, so if madmab decide to add it, Xbox would be probably 2nd (user-friendly) way to configure blargg's NTSC library. (On any system?)

Now talking NES emus, but I believe it's same on SNES and SMS.

Btw. very nice shade on the jeep engine bonnet! (Snake's Revenge) happy.gif

Yes it's amazing stuff. Here's hoping to some news from madmab. I attempted yesterday to look into it, but i don't know what im doing so i left it alone. This would be one more thing to make the box even better.

XT-

Edited by XTecuterX73, 22 February 2009 - 11:27 PM.

#10 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

upon more research of this filter, it will apparently also give the games the "dot crawl" effect and a few other tricks the nes used back in the day. If you download the filter from his site there are 3 test programs in .nes format in the zip file and you will see what i mean with the last 2. I tried them out with mednafenx-nes and it's astounding. This is one hell of a job from blaarg. I can't beleive not many emulators have utilized this feature or at least added the options for it.

they are line, frame and special frame, the line phase is trippy as hell. lol smile.gif

XT-

Edited by XTecuterX73, 25 February 2009 - 10:58 AM.

#11 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

Well for some reason the NTSC-blitter code was removed from a previous incarnation of Mednafenx-NES (I'm guessing version 7) since that is when X-port added mapper support from FCEUltraX. The NTSC-blitter code is integrated into the PPU code.

I'm not sure where the source came from (FCEUltraX?) or whether x-port inserted it himself but the code is definetly removed... uhh.gif

#12 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(madmab @ Feb 25 2009, 06:49 AM) View Post

Well for some reason the NTSC-blitter code was removed from a previous incarnation of Mednafenx-NES (I'm guessing version 7) since that is when X-port added mapper support from FCEUltraX. The NTSC-blitter code is integrated into the PPU code.

I'm not sure where the source came from (FCEUltraX?) or whether x-port inserted it himself but the code is definetly removed... uhh.gif

hey madmab thanks for the update. I hope that doesn't spell any bad news in terms of getting this into the emulator. This is one of the best add-ons i have EVER seen for any emulator. Perhaps he didn't feel it was neccasary to put this in there. I know to some of us this is all the difference. I spent a good part of yesterday just looking for this code in the mednafenx-nes source and wondered why i could not find it anywhere.

XT-

Edited by XTecuterX73, 25 February 2009 - 07:06 PM.

#13 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:11 AM

It's only a few lines of code in the ppu.ccp file so I'll probably re "add" these lines and add the nes_ntsc.cpp to the project and see what happens.. No guarantee's though. laugh.gif

#14 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(madmab @ Feb 25 2009, 09:47 PM) View Post

It's only a few lines of code in the ppu.ccp file so I'll probably re "add" these lines and add the nes_ntsc.cpp to the project and see what happens.. No guarantee's though. laugh.gif

thanks for the news madmab, i just got back in town today so please let me know when you do it. Thanks for listening to my little thread here man. pop.gif I look forward to hearing from you soon.

XT-

#15 XTecuterX73

XTecuterX73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

Hey madmab,

These the lines you are talking about:

static nes_ntsc_emph_t *NTSCBlitter = NULL;
static nes_ntsc_setup_t setup;
static bool was_short_frame;

After comparing some code i found this as well that had been removed:

static void DoGfxDecode(void);
static uint32 *GfxDecode_Buf = NULL;
static int GfxDecode_Width = 0;
static int GfxDecode_Height = 0;
static int GfxDecode_Line = -1;
static int GfxDecode_Layer = 0;
static int GfxDecode_Scroll = 0;
static int GfxDecode_Pbn = 0;

Let me know please. biggrin.gif

XT-

Edited by XTecuterX73, 03 March 2009 - 09:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users